Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Trouble is @Ramseyboi that ain't ever going to change

If there was a nice big speed bump on the peel side entrance to roundabout 2 it would help a lot. But that ain't ever going to happen either until the silly motorbike race is stopped.

Speed bumps on the entrance to every roundabout would be ideal.  Something that slows you to 5mph.

Or just bang a camera up and impose a very strict 10mph limit.

Or put remote controlled machine guns in.  That would soon fix it.

Or a massive trap door that opens up and dumps anyone speeding to a slow and painful death where in the pit they can only survive on any snacks in the cars of their fellow pit dwelling idiots.

Or, the police of government could just do a proper media campaign to teach the “give way to the right” whoppers how to drive, backed up with compulsory five year retests 

Edited by Ramseyboi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Speed bumps on the entrance to every roundabout would be ideal.  Something that slows you to 5mph.

Or just bang a camera up and impose a very strict 10mph limit.

Or put remote controlled machine guns in.  That would soon fix it.

Or a massive trap door that opens up and dumps anyone speeding to a slow and painful death where in the pit they can only shrivel on any snacks in the cars of their fellow pit dwelling idiots.

Or, the police of government could just do a proper media campaign to teach the “give way to the right” whoppers how to drive, backed up with compulsory five year retests 

Or all of those things, with the last one being a last resort in the unlikely event that the others fail😅

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

People coming from peel thinking they have right of way over those coming down from Bray Hill is exactly what causes the issue, that and people coming from Bray Hill being too hesitant.

The junction is fine, people just can’t use it.  An unmarked junction like on the prom would actually increase throughout - if the yokels could drive properly

 But they do have right of way....no?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

 But they do have right of way....no?

Not unless they are already over the line to show they are on the roundabout.

So the bloke coming from Bray Hill is perfectly entitled to pull onto the roundabout if the car coming from peel is between the two roundabouts, even if he is doing 20mph.

It is a common misconception that the car approaching the round about from the right has right of way.  They don’t until they are actually on the roundabout.

Hence everything grinds to a halt because people see nothing approaching from their own right and assume everyone else has to stop for them.  So, even when I have right of way I end up stopping to avoid someone who doesn’t know how a roundabout works ploughing into me and claiming they had right of way.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not unless they are already over the line to show they are on the roundabout.

So the bloke coming from Bray Hill is perfectly entitled to pull onto the roundabout if the car coming from peel is between the two roundabouts, even if he is doing 20mph.

It is a common misconception that the car approaching the round about from the right has right of way.  They don’t until they are actually on the roundabout.

Hence everything grinds to a halt because people see nothing approaching from their own right and assume everyone else has to stop for them.  So, even when I have right of way I end up stopping to avoid someone who doesn’t know how a roundabout works ploughing into me and claiming they had right of way.

I agree with your theory and understanding but I wouldn't want to test it in court. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with your theory and understanding but I wouldn't want to test it in court. 

A bump in a roundabout or roundel should never get to court as no one should be going above about 10mph anyway.

If EVERYONE slowed right down but didn’t stop then the traffic would flow smoothly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

A bump in a roundabout or roundel should never get to court as no one should be going above about 10mph anyway.

If EVERYONE slowed right down but didn’t stop then the traffic would flow smoothly.

I'm with you on that. However there are many occasions when I am turning right at bottom of QB road and some arse will come flying from peel road accelerating hard and I know if I went I would get hit.

Part of the problem is that vehicles coming from peel can see if there is anyone turning right in front of them from way back. If there is no one in the right hand lane leaving town they just accelerate through the roundabout as if it's not even there. Its reckless and I would like to see some get done for it. I doubt i ever will.

A bump/hump would stop this.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Money well spent if it saves a life or a life changing injury. Tim Crookall actually seems to be getting things done.

The designs didn’t need creating in the first place when a simple black and white crossing with the appropriate flashing beacons - wtf was a Celtic knot design doing? Stupidity, and wasteful of taxpayers money. Crookall right to do something. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not unless they are already over the line to show they are on the roundabout.

So the bloke coming from Bray Hill is perfectly entitled to pull onto the roundabout if the car coming from peel is between the two roundabouts, even if he is doing 20mph.

It is a common misconception that the car approaching the round about from the right has right of way.  They don’t until they are actually on the roundabout.

Hence everything grinds to a halt because people see nothing approaching from their own right and assume everyone else has to stop for them.  So, even when I have right of way I end up stopping to avoid someone who doesn’t know how a roundabout works ploughing into me and claiming they had right of way.

thats what dashcams are for

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not unless they are already over the line to show they are on the roundabout.

So the bloke coming from Bray Hill is perfectly entitled to pull onto the roundabout if the car coming from peel is between the two roundabouts, even if he is doing 20mph.

It is a common misconception that the car approaching the round about from the right has right of way.  They don’t until they are actually on the roundabout.

Hence everything grinds to a halt because people see nothing approaching from their own right and assume everyone else has to stop for them.  So, even when I have right of way I end up stopping to avoid someone who doesn’t know how a roundabout works ploughing into me and claiming they had right of way.

And the same drivers doing the same at Braddan Church roundabout on their return journey, with many accelerating from the corner before if you dare to pull off Vicarage Road whilst they’re still 20m+ from the roundabout itself. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, skins said:

And the same drivers doing the same at Braddan Church roundabout on their return journey, with many accelerating from the corner before if you dare to pull off Vicarage Road whilst they’re still 20m+ from the roundabout itself. 

I think those coming through governors bridge from Onchan are even worse!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think those coming through governors bridge from Onchan are even worse!

It need some intervention from the powers that be to educate people, because most of these idiots actually believe they have right of way and if they drove properly everything would flow much better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sentience said:

One concern (of many) I have, is the very poor lighting (non existent) on the Hotel/Boarding house side of the Promenade.

It is simply very very dark.

Once again, as many have said about the so called 'design' here...."What were they thinking"!!!!

The lights aren’t all on yet are they?  They weren’t last night anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...