Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Probably not a fortune either way to be honest - at least compared to all the other amounts the DoI waste.  The total cost would probably pay for a few sq cm of the Prom. 

The real scandal is it took ten months after the accident and a change of Minister before anything was done at all. Even at the inquest all the DoI tried to do was to blame "issues with a contractor".

Probably not wanting to make it look like a (rightful) acceptance of guilt/liability.

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

i'd expect the traffic flow to be the same as it was before they started the work, and QB was still shit then.

The closure of Pulrose Bridge has made a lot more traffic go via QB and that causes traffic on QB road, heading south. West, to have a lot more traffic that they have to give way to. This has caused the tailbacks on QB Rd

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Traffic flow will be worse across Pulrose Bridge. They're removing the two filter lanes for Peel Road bound traffic, down to one to accommodate a cycle lane 😒

FFS would it have been too much trouble to widen the fecking bridge then? It will go as unused as the lanes on the main Peel Road. Maybe it's time they put a counter on the cycle lanes to show us all what a brilliant success they are.

At least make it a bus & cycle lane to improve public transport.

6 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

FFS would it have been too much trouble to widen the fecking bridge then? It will go as unused as the lanes on the main Peel Road. Maybe it's time they put a counter on the cycle lanes to show us all what a brilliant success they are.

It's a big wide bi directional cycle lane at that!

22 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Or just left it how it was. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not unless they are already over the line to show they are on the roundabout.

So the bloke coming from Bray Hill is perfectly entitled to pull onto the roundabout if the car coming from peel is between the two roundabouts, even if he is doing 20mph.

It is a common misconception that the car approaching the round about from the right has right of way.  They don’t until they are actually on the roundabout.

Hence everything grinds to a halt because people see nothing approaching from their own right and assume everyone else has to stop for them.  So, even when I have right of way I end up stopping to avoid someone who doesn’t know how a roundabout works ploughing into me and claiming they had right of way.

That's not what the Highway code says. There is no mention of being over the line. 

• When reaching the roundabout you should

• give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
  • check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
  • watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/roundabouts.html

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

That's not what the Highway code says. There is no mention of being over the line. 

• When reaching the roundabout you should

• give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
  • check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
  • watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/roundabouts.html

You have got this one wrong sorry.  I don’t think anyone else has disagreed with me or agreed with you yet?

I take it you aren’t a driving instructor? I also assume you are one of the clowns who stop the rest of us being able to use roundabouts properly?

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:
9 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

It is a common misconception that the car approaching the round about from the right has right of way.  They don’t until they are actually on the roundabout.

Hence everything grinds to a halt because people see nothing approaching from their own right and assume everyone else has to stop for them.  So, even when I have right of way I end up stopping to avoid someone who doesn’t know how a roundabout works ploughing into me and claiming they had right of way.

I agree with your theory and understanding but I wouldn't want to test it in court. 

If you think something is legal, but a judge wouldn't agree, that's rather a giveaway that it isn't really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

You have got this one wrong sorry.  I don’t think anyone else has disagreed with me or agreed with you yet?

I take it you aren’t a driving instructor? I also assume you are one of the clowns who stop the rest of us being able to use roundabouts properly?

It goes on to clarify that you should also:

watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout

This is in addition to those approaching from the right and therefore not covered by those on roundabout and by definition have not crossed that line so my point is correct.

I'm not going to argue with a fool as you will drag me down to your level and beat me with experience

• Like 1