Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Cant argue with that. As always its working fine but because we have degrees and VIP in DOI lets reinvent it .! My guess is its the bogies will be changed as Longworth has already mentioned it , see quote from him earlier I posted. 

Do you reckon Longworth was a fan of Dick and Dom back in the day for his knowledge base?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I thought the horse trams were a permanently fixed to the chassis, ie, there aren't any bogies on them to change?? Or have I got that wrong?

no, you are correct, i mentioned this quite a few pages back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, WTF said:

no, you are correct, i mentioned this quite a few pages back.

They are literally the lowest tech wheeled vehicle you could possibly create. Its just a frame wirh some wheels. No power, steering or suspension. Yet still they have completely screwed it up.

Do you know if they're fixed axle too? 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

They are literally the lowest tech wheeled vehicle you could possibly create. Its just a frame wirh some wheels. No power, steering or suspension. Yet still they have completely screwed it up.

Do you know if they're fixed axle too? 

i don't know about that, possibly enough flex in the chassis to not need any compensation or springing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I thought the horse trams were a permanently fixed to the chassis, ie, there aren't any bogies on them to change?? Or have I got that wrong?

No , your right , just me not being precise. The wheels sets will have to be changed I believe as does Longworth if his correspondence is to believed . Sorry for confusion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

Posted on Manx Electric Railway Society's Facebook page 

Testing of Horse Tramway Begins

“One of the Douglas prom horse trams became derailed under ‘controlled conditions’ while undergoing testing.

This was being done to ensure the rail is installed correctly on a curved section of the track, and was being observed by the railway inspector who is currently on-island.

The Department of Infrastructure said the picture was taken ‘shortly after one wheel became derailed under controlled conditions as the gauge was too tight in this particular spot’. This will enable the contractor to adjust the gauge and correct the issue as part of the normal testing process,’ a spokesperson added.”

 

 

Edited by Numbnuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

 

Posted on Manx Electric Railway Society's Facebook page 

Testing of Horse Tramway Begins

“One of the Douglas prom horse trams became derailed under ‘controlled conditions’ while undergoing testing.

This was being done to ensure the rail is installed correctly on a curved section of the track, and was being observed by the railway inspector who is currently on-island.

The Department of Infrastructure said the picture was taken ‘shortly after one wheel became derailed under controlled conditions as the gauge was too tight in this particular spot’. This will enable the contractor to adjust the gauge and correct the issue as part of the normal testing process,’ a spokesperson added.”

If the rails are set in concrete (with the later addition of a strip of flexible filler as a membrane)....how do they adjust the gauge? Or will they adjust the trams to suit the rails?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If the rails are set in concrete (with the later addition of a strip of flexible filler as a membrane)....how do they adjust the gauge? Or will they adjust the trams to suit the rails?

They only concreted those rails in the last two weeks. I cant see how its possible to adjust the rails without breaking up the concrete and even then the rails are all bolted down so not sure how its even possible. Sure we will hear soon but my guess is they will have to change both rails and wheels on the Trams. 

Pretty sure theres no membrane on the rails still.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

 

Posted on Manx Electric Railway Society's Facebook page 

Testing of Horse Tramway Begins

“One of the Douglas prom horse trams became derailed under ‘controlled conditions’ while undergoing testing.

This was being done to ensure the rail is installed correctly on a curved section of the track, and was being observed by the railway inspector who is currently on-island.

The Department of Infrastructure said the picture was taken ‘shortly after one wheel became derailed under controlled conditions as the gauge was too tight in this particular spot’. This will enable the contractor to adjust the gauge and correct the issue as part of the normal testing process,’ a spokesperson added.”

 

 

Appears that have engaged Putins PR team 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

 

Posted on Manx Electric Railway Society's Facebook page 

Testing of Horse Tramway Begins

“One of the Douglas prom horse trams became derailed under ‘controlled conditions’ while undergoing testing.

This was being done to ensure the rail is installed correctly on a curved section of the track, and was being observed by the railway inspector who is currently on-island.

The Department of Infrastructure said the picture was taken ‘shortly after one wheel became derailed under controlled conditions as the gauge was too tight in this particular spot’. This will enable the contractor to adjust the gauge and correct the issue as part of the normal testing process,’ a spokesperson added.”

 

 

"... the gauge was too tight in this particular spot... "

So did they choose this curved section of track because they knew there was a spot on it where the gauge was too tight, or are there potentially innumerable spots along the newly laid track that are too tight that they don't know about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

the real question is why wasn't the gauge tested BEFORE the concrete was laid ???   thick useless cunts................ i bet they didn't gauge widen to compensate for the sharpness of the curve.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you would have thought  the contractors or even the DOI  would have had  a small  bogie  with wheels set to the 3 ft gauge ,that they could  move along by hand   and test  the gauge    as the work progressed , , there is a bogie in the tram shed ,with a spike that they used to use for clearing out the channel in the rail after the winters storm deposits ,  not rocket science all done before  on a regular basis   for almost  130 years , 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting that the BBC TV city comment was only a very long shot and the other picture was of the newly painted Villa railings. Wonder how they missed the rusty, twisted seaside railings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Omobono said:

you would have thought  the contractors or even the DOI  would have had  a small  bogie  with wheels set to the 3 ft gauge ,that they could  move along by hand   and test  the gauge    as the work progressed , , there is a bogie in the tram shed ,with a spike that they used to use for clearing out the channel in the rail after the winters storm deposits ,  not rocket science all done before  on a regular basis   for almost  130 years , 

They've had one down there as clocked the rail guys using it. However it was only very short in length so I'm guessing it wouldn't show up the issue with the curve in the track over the length of a actual tram. The other worrying thing was the guys there were physically pushing the tram around the tight bend despite the horse being harnessed up. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...