Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

End of July for the horse trams to start operating apparently (doesn't state which year..)

HORSE TRAM UPDATE
Good progress has been made in recent weeks with the promenade horse tram tracks and the intention is still to operate services from the end of July.
The track and points at Castle Mona Avenue have been installed, commissioned and inspected successfully, and the full length of installed rail track has been checked for correct alignment, and tested.
Some planned work must still be undertaken prior to commencing passenger services, including the installation of improved signage and commissioning of traffic controls. Rail preparation and grinding works must also take place, and require specialist equipment, as well as a training regime for the horses, who are currently in excellent form.
All of these preparatory tasks are currently planned to be undertaken prior to the end of July. This is, however, a tight time scale and dependent on suitable weather, the performance of the horse team and the availability of staff and plant.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, manxchester said:

End of July for the horse trams to start operating apparently (doesn't state which year..)

HORSE TRAM UPDATE
Good progress has been made in recent weeks with the promenade horse tram tracks and the intention is still to operate services from the end of July.
The track and points at Castle Mona Avenue have been installed, commissioned and inspected successfully, and the full length of installed rail track has been checked for correct alignment, and tested.
Some planned work must still be undertaken prior to commencing passenger services, including the installation of improved signage and commissioning of traffic controls. Rail preparation and grinding works must also take place, and require specialist equipment, as well as a training regime for the horses, who are currently in excellent form.
All of these preparatory tasks are currently planned to be undertaken prior to the end of July. This is, however, a tight time scale and dependent on suitable weather, the performance of the horse team and the availability of staff and plant.

Beginning of September more like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, manxchester said:

End of July for the horse trams to start operating apparently (doesn't state which year..)

All of these preparatory tasks are currently planned to be undertaken prior to the end of July. This is, however, a tight time scale and dependent on suitable weather, the performance of the horse team and the availability of staff and plant.

So if it all goes wrong it will be fault of the horses, apparently.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, manxchester said:

as well as a training regime for the horses, who are currently in excellent form.

Anyone else picturing an equine Rocky montage?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2022 at 6:08 PM, Dirty Buggane said:

I see they had a digger valiantly removing the sand on the for shore today. Is this to pay lip service to the people that have been shouting this is all that is needed. Not a new, start at 5 million (then think of a number then add a cost it could never reach) to spunk against. At least we tried it, then failed. Failed to mention it was a mini track digger with a 36" blade and a 2 cubic ft bucket. For fucks sake bring in a couple of the big shovels from the quarries with the 4 ton buckets and give us the 8 foot drop it used to be in front of the palace. Though then we really will need an 8' fence for health and safety

They could not organise a piss up in Okells brewery.

All they need to do is dig a long trench a few meters above the water line at low tide, and let the tide do the rest. Next day same again a few meters up. Repeat until,the tide has moved the beach. Seven to ten days should do it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I do not think it worthwhile to re-invent the wheel. Maltby, Glover, and a selection of senior civil servants should go on a fact-finding tour to Manchester, Edinburgh and most European cities to find out how those cities handle this difficult problem.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I do not think it worthwhile to re-invent the wheel. Maltby, Glover, and a selection of senior civil servants should go on a fact-finding tour to Manchester, Edinburgh and most European cities to find out how those cities handle this difficult problem.

It isn’t a difficult problem though and we now have non standard warning signs, on a non stamdard junction, on a non standard promenade. It’s just an unrelenting mess of made up on the hoof implemented rubbish. If they’d have kept the existing tram layout there would be no need for any of this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Is that the smell of a successful lawsuit I wonder? If more signage would be beneficial is that the same as saying the current signage is inadequate?

Sinage should really be thought about in the planning stages, it’s part of what the finished build looks like. Soon we will need a sign to warn about all the other signs as a pedestrian may walk into one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I do not think it worthwhile to re-invent the wheel. Maltby, Glover, and a selection of senior civil servants should go on a fact-finding tour to Manchester, Edinburgh and most European cities to find out how those cities handle this difficult problem.

I think most of them just expect people to take personal responsibility. The tram lines are fairly obvious and they’ve got their very own red concrete around them. Eventually, the Clydesdale horse and tram might also be a clue. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Soon we will need a sign to warn about all the other signs as a pedestrian may walk into one.

Have you ever been to the Mooragh? I think I once counted thirty seven signs in there and around the outside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...