Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Well, fairly obvious but refreshingly honest too. Perhaps some questions could be asked of predecessors as to exactly how this state of affairs has arisen?

Screenshot_20220704-192910_Chrome.jpg

DoI considering 'non-standard' warning sign for horse trams

Is there no one involved in road safety in the DOI. How can they let this dept get away with so much nonsense.?  There have been accidents and possibly a death caused by non standard road markings yet the carnage goes on. 

If i have non std. Number plates on my car I am breaking the law and risk prosecution yet this dept produces non std road markings, crossings, junctions in fact whatever they like. Road safety and regulations seem to mean nothing to this out of control department. 

Let's hope the new minister can bring this department back into the real word. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, emesde said:

Is there no one involved in road safety in the DOI. How can they let this dept get away with so much nonsense.?  There have been accidents and possibly a death caused by non standard road markings yet the carnage goes on. 

If i have non std. Number plates on my car I am breaking the law and risk prosecution yet this dept produces non std road markings, crossings, junctions in fact whatever they like. Road safety and regulations seem to mean nothing to this out of control department. 

Can you imagine working in road safety on island though, where people think roundels and lack of signs on prom are a danger to mankind, but think any speed measures on the mountain (where 10s of KSIs actually do happen) would be 'going too far' 😂

How many road safety related questions have there been about the promenade and other non areas Vs where the actual accidents all happen.. I suppose it does win votes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Have we ever had to do this before? I’d suggest if we actually used them they wouldn’t go rusty!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/uk-company-coming-over-to-remove-rust-from-horse-tram-tracks/

There planing the top of the rails to help stop the noise . They did it to some of the finished tracks last year and again by guys from across.  

At least that was what Longworth had to say on the matter.

Edited by Numbnuts

If rust was the problem maybe the steam and MER rails would need doing each Spring.

I vaguely recall that this has been discussed before -  that the noise problem was due to the rails being mounted directly onto the concrete slab. Maybe just another thing they did not plan for. I wonder how much noise a battery-powered light rail engine will make.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:10 PM, emesde said:

Non standard is not the same as illegal though it it.

Why do you have non standard (I mean illegal) Reg plates. Do you really think they look cool....They don't!

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It's to reduce the noise level!  All to keep AOR happy. Is he going to pay for it?

Skimming off the top of the rails will make no difference. They've bolted them directly to the concrete foundation pad... that's what's making the noise.

• Thanks 1

There is the slight possibility that each winter the rain and salt water will cause the surface of the rails to become corroded.  Each year they will need to be planed down to give a nice smooth surface. Anyone here going to make an estimate of the working life of the rails?

16 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Skimming off the top of the rails will make no difference. They've bolted them directly to the concrete foundation pad... that's what's making the noise.

I know that normal railway rails are bolted to wooden sleepers and this will obviously provide some significant isolation against vibration etc.

What do they usually do with 'road' rails like on metro trams etc?  Are they on some sort rubber riser pads or something?

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

No they haven't. The first bit they had but from before the Queens pub they lifted the rails and fitted pads between concrete and rails. Further on they lifted the rails , or lowered the concrete level actually , all to try and reduce noise and vibration levels.