Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Being Masochistic and having no idea what trypophobia is I thought I would come to work this morning via Peel Road. Good to see two men at each end of the traffic lights, and well away from the lights or controls, standing looking at the queues. Poor to see that they seemed to be doing bugger all else and leaving the lights to work on the timer which seems to be set so they are green for gettig out of Douglas as they are going in despite one queue being 5 cars and one past the QB.

Surely somebody with half a brain cell would have realised that before 9.00am the majority of traffic was likely to be coming into Douglas and set the timer accordingly or at least work the lights manually. However I slowly disparring that anybody in the DoI actually has half a brain cell, or at least a working one.

I apppreciate that the Peel Road is a big job and there will be some disruption, all I ask is that the DoI do the best to manage. e.g set the traffic lights in favour of the majority of traffic, work on the scheme at weekends and early morning into the evenings. Before somebody again moans about this idea I would just point out DoI staff seem pefectly happy to be laying paving bricks slowly in the centre of Douglas all weekend, to work from 6:00pm to midnight on relaying the road at the back of M&S.

If that is not possible then at least please DoI keep the press relaeases etc saying how well you are going on the scheme, keeping disruption down, etc etc as that is just sticking two fingures up at the public.

• Like 1

I went through QB heading into town at around 07:45 and sat for what seemed like ages waiting for the lights to change down towards the Brown Bobby.

Half of Peel Road was one way for ages and we seemed to have coped OK. Why don't they simply make it one way right the way down to the Brown Bobby. Outgoing traffic will need to go up the Terrace, Alexander Drive, QB way or old Castletown Road.

Or make it one way from 07:00 to 09:00 during workday mornings.

To echo previous posts, surely it would be wise to create a circular route around the Power Station/NSC with no need for lights at Pulrose Bridge. South bound traffic could go through Pulrose and westbound along Groves Road/Saddle Road. Have a manual traffic control at the Groves Road/New Castletown Road junction.

Those wishing to visit the businesses on Peel Road are being put off, they will have huge overheads and could be shedding staff shortly! .

As usual, the whole point of the multi-works exercise is to maximise disruption, so that naive members of the travelling public will think that the DoI is busy.

Complete the following statement:

Causing maximum disruption/chaos = poor planning (or no planning) = departmental incompetence = somebody is to blame = ?

Those wishing to visit the businesses on Peel Road are being put off, they will have huge overheads and could be shedding staff shortly! .

Having been lucky enough to have to get to Hills Meadow this morning, I observed nobody in either the Milestone or Pulrose Bridge filling stations at 10:30. The short, and long term impact on the businesses down there could be huge.

As a classy family we also went to Maccy ds for some food last night, and at 17:15 drove straight up to the drivin window.

Somebody needs to be helping businesses down there out, because it must be a nightmare for them.

As usual, the whole point of the multi-works exercise is to maximise disruption, so that naive members of the travelling public will think that the DoI is busy.

Causing maximum disruption/chaos = poor planning (or no planning) = departmental incompetence = somebody is to blame = ?

If the whole point is to cause disruption, and the outcome has been disruption, then where's the poor planning or incompetence?

If the whole point is to cause disruption, and the outcome has been disruption, then where's the poor planning or incompetence?

I take your point. The whole thing has been well-planned and carried out with the utmost competence.

it took close on 15mins this morning at 9:40am for the bus to get from Pulrose bridge to Circular Road - somewhat easier on the nominal 1.07pm bus back from Douglas (I assume the near 10min delay in the bus departure was cummulative delays from previous runs caused by the lights)

Having been lucky enough to have to get to Hills Meadow this morning, I observed nobody in either the Milestone or Pulrose Bridge filling stations at 10:30. The short, and long term impact on the businesses down there could be huge.

As a classy family we also went to Maccy ds for some food last night, and at 17:15 drove straight up to the drivin window.

Somebody needs to be helping businesses down there out, because it must be a nightmare for them.

The petrol station at St. Ninians has been noticably quieter since they closed Ballanard road.

Let's be fair, it's no Trafford Centre junction on the M60 ...

it took close on 15mins this morning at 9:40am for the bus to get from Pulrose bridge to Circular Road - somewhat easier on the nominal 1.07pm bus back from Douglas (I assume the near 10min delay in the bus departure was cummulative delays from previous runs caused by the lights)

• Like 1

The petrol station at St. Ninians has been noticably quieter since they closed Ballanard road.

I think thats partly to do with the road works, but also largely to do with the fact that it appears to be staffed by the family from The Hills Have Eyes!

laugh.pnglaugh.png

• slinkydevil changed the title to Promenade - Megathread