Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade/Peel Road Megathread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Just read an FOI response on facebook. Rather than replacing the cracked concrete they are planning on seeing if they can glue it together using a red coloured resin.

 

i really hope you are joking,  but sadly it sounds just like the sort of shit those worthless fuckers would try,  they always seem to opt for spending a fortune trying to bodge it for years rather than admit they fucked up and do it right once.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the FoI response 1213049 Promenade Concrete Cracking

Quote

BSA proposed the use of Fosroc Nitofill LV, a low viscosity epoxy resin that would be injected into the cracks, combined with Renderoc ST 05, a cement-based mortar with the red pigment mixed in to cover the surface of the crack. These were discussed and it was agreed that an injected resin was the way forwards, but the resin would preferably be clear, or colour matched to the concrete. It was considered that the grey Fosroc products may stand out against the infill slabs and make the cracking more noticeable. There was also concern that the mortar would not be suitable for the surface of the slabs which are currently heavily trafficked, and that mixing the pigment into the mortar may not provide an exact colour match as the slabs vary in colour.

Weirdly some names of the people who went to the meeting are redacted, but the initials are there. So JR from the DoI is obviously ashamed of himself.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ho ho ho it's well worth reading the whole thing you know

Quote

MD noted that for the larger cracks or cracks that are diagonal across the slabs, there was potential for chasing out and sealing these to act as expansion joints.

Hahaha tossers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable. End of. Proposing using flaw cracks as expansion joints?

Get them sacked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose we should all be thankful that these clowns aren't building tower blocks...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Its the FoI response 1213049 Promenade Concrete Cracking

Quote

BSA proposed the use of Fosroc Nitofill LV, a low viscosity epoxy resin that would be injected into the cracks, combined with Renderoc ST 05, a cement-based mortar with the red pigment mixed in to cover the surface of the crack. These were discussed and it was agreed that an injected resin was the way forwards, but the resin would preferably be clear, or colour matched to the concrete. It was considered that the grey Fosroc products may stand out against the infill slabs and make the cracking more noticeable. There was also concern that the mortar would not be suitable for the surface of the slabs which are currently heavily trafficked, and that mixing the pigment into the mortar may not provide an exact colour match as the slabs vary in colour.

Weirdly some names of the people who went to the meeting are redacted, but the initials are there. So JR from the DoI is obviously ashamed of himself.

Yes it's very noticeable that they are more concerned about how it looks rather than if it will work (and last).  Welcome to the world of modern government.  The redacted names mainly seem to be underlings (JR is down as 'Designer', so presumably it's a different JR from Mr J Robinson, the Head of Highway Services).  Presumably they've been madly recruiting newbies in the hope that they know more about things than the bosses do.  And if the newbies do they'll certainly want to keep their names out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes it's very noticeable that they are more concerned about how it looks rather than if it will work (and last).  Welcome to the world of modern government.  The redacted names mainly seem to be underlings (JR is down as 'Designer', so presumably it's a different JR from Mr J Robinson, the Head of Highway Services).  Presumably they've been madly recruiting newbies in the hope that they know more about things than the bosses do.  And if the newbies do they'll certainly want to keep their names out of it.

Isn't there 3 or so designers/ engineers recruited temporarily to deal with the lack of plans? Might be them  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Isn't there 3 or so designers/ engineers recruited temporarily to deal with the lack of plans? 

curly,  larry and mo ?   groucho, chico and harpo ?   huey ,duey and luey ?   dumb, dumber and HQ ?   give us a clue.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 8:31 PM, slinkydevil said:

It'll be fine.

 

 

That wouldn't have done the dahlias much good in the front garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Just read an FOI response on facebook. Rather than replacing the cracked concrete they are planning on seeing if they can glue it together using a red coloured resin.

 

They've totally disregarded the scenario of a summer like 2018 when there will be even more thermal expansion of the rails leading to even greater expansion. 

They're acting as if it's cracked and that's it. The exact opposite is true. It's dynamic. The rails will continue to expand and contract for years to come and will continue to crack the concrete. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, steel expands from 0.06% to 0.07% per 100 degrees Fahrenheit so not much really.

Better email Jeff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Update , while we have so many other stuff to b worrying about it would seem big changes are afoot for our source of much amusement and grief over the last 18 months. 

Allegedly , ! Tynwald will discuss the change of plans on Tuesday when proposals will involve stopping the tram lines at Broadway and not continuing in the near future . Two roundabouts to go and lots more tarmac instead of granite !. No rails laid through to sea terminal and where they were to be its to be grassed so it maybe can rails in the future . All allegedly so potential shit storm on tuesday or wednesday for sure . 

Interesting times ahead and apparently all revised works to finish by end of March ready for the season . Mmmmmm what does everyone think ??? I know what I feel about this but is anyone really surprised if 'allegedly ' this is the end result .  

Footnote . Also apparently all the fancy granite and features around the Sefton are to be ditched also . I find all this incredible and hence why Zi use th word allegedly often as surely ,surely this cant be right but from a very good source . Ive put my head on the block many times before and been correct but surely not !!!??? 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Update , while we have so many other stuff to b worrying about it would seem big changes are afoot for our source of much amusement and grief over the last 18 months. 

Allegedly , ! Tynwald will discuss the change of plans on Tuesday when proposals will involve stopping the tram lines at Broadway and not continuing in the near future . Two roundabouts to go and lots more tarmac instead of granite !. No rails laid through to sea terminal and where they were to be its to be grassed so it maybe can rails in the future . All allegedly so potential shit storm on tuesday or wednesday for sure . 

Interesting times ahead and apparently all revised works to finish by end of March ready for the season . Mmmmmm what does everyone think ??? I know what I feel about this but is anyone really surprised if 'allegedly ' this is the end result .  

Discuss plans to change? I thought they were only ever going to Broadway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Discuss plans to change? I thought they were only ever going to Broadway?

Two lines to broadway then single line to sea terminal 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...