Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade/Peel Road Megathread

Just now, Max Power said:

Side issue, I think the number of Manx registered vehicles driving around on UK roads (usually in the higher tax bands to keep a cherished number) and  in France and Spain, far outweigh the amount of UK vehicles on Manx roads for any length of time. It's just that we are able to monitor them as individuals where UK and continentals don't give a toss about their neighbours driving cars from out of area.

Actually that’s not true about other countries. There’s been a huge crackdown and purge in Spain, France, Portugal, with cars seized. It’s not the couple of weeks, short visits. It’s the permanent importation, often with no road tax or MOT or insurance ( or dubious insurance via Gibraltar ), in breach of Vienna Convention and EU agreements.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Actually that’s not true about other countries. There’s been a huge crackdown and purge in Spain, France, Portugal, with cars seized. It’s not the couple of weeks, short visits. It’s the permanent importation, often with no road tax or MOT or insurance ( or dubious insurance via Gibraltar ), in breach of Vienna Convention and EU agreements.

That's the advantage to some, being Manx registered they don't need an MOT. I know of several who keep cars out there, probably unseen when they are not in the country, hidden in their villa/garage?

What's the deal with the Summerland end of the Promenade? It's all fenced off from the Castle Mona still but nobody has worked on it since TT. That's nearly a month.

I was in the Queens last night and the 'man in the pub' said the workers haven't come back to the Island since they left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On The Bus said:

What's the deal with the Summerland end of the Promenade? It's all fenced off from the Castle Mona still but nobody has worked on it since TT. That's nearly a month.

I was in the Queens last night and the 'man in the pub' said the workers haven't come back to the Island since they left. 

Your man in the pub is wrong. They have been working. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't make it so...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Your man in the pub is wrong. They have been working. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't make it so...

How many times have you done that stretch between the Castlemona & Queens to Onchan in the last few weeks? There is hardly a contractor to be seen most days and that’s a fact. You do get the impression something odd is going on. The work surrounding the horse tram lines is rubbish also. I downloaded an incline meter app and it’s quite interesting to see what is the most extreme angle I can get on the tilt meter driving past Millenium Apartments. The road surface is crap just so a few idiots can ride a tram for a few feet. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

I suspect that they are not in too much of a rush to extend the tram tracks given what a pain in the arse they are so are prioritising work in other areas. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Hedgehog said:

I suspect that they are not in too much of a rush to extend the tram tracks given what a pain in the arse they are so are prioritising work in other areas. 

You’d hope so. But then when has logic ever interfered with what DOI management want to do? 

I was driving in Douglas, on the prom yesterday morning. There wasn't a DOI/Contractor soul to be seen between the bottom of Broadway and the Sea Terminal. Lots of temporary fencing up but no work going on. Maybe they're stretching it out for a winter work project?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

That would make sense. Have you seen the mental little stop/go board they've got at the moment too? 

It would be good if they just forgot to do the rest of the train tracks. 

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Maybe they're stretching it out for a winter work project?

Maybe the contractors are trying to negotiate a clusterfuck premium off the DOI as they’ve under bid given the work now involved due to the mess created to accommodate empty trams? 

19 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How many times have you done that stretch between the Queens and Onchan in the last few weeks? There is hardly a contractor to be seen most days and that’s a fact. You do get the impression something odd is going on. The work surrounding the horse tram lines is rubbish also. I downloaded an incline meter app and it’s quite interesting to see what is the most extreme angle I can get on the tilt meter driving past Millenium Apartments. The road surface is crap just so a few idiots can ride a tram for a few feet. 

I cycle past there every day... They are not there every day but there has been activity (very little)

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I cycle past there every day... They are not there every day but there has been activity (very little)

You're suffering from hallucinations, your lycra must be too tight! 

Edited by On The Bus

19 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

You're suffering from hallucinations, your lycra must be too tight! 

Firstly, you are far to young to be in a pub so stop being a walter

secondly, I prefer to listen to the guys who are working on the site and they confirm work hasn't stopped.

There is definitely something odd going on. All the sections they are currently working on (Victoria Street to Howard Street; Castle Mona to Switzerland Road; Strathallan Crescent seaward side) should have been finished by 24th May, as per their own phasing plan, only published in March. 

https://www.myprom.im/plans/phasing-plans#cont

Since TT Week, there has been minimal progress on the tram line section, as where there was an army of men there before TT, there are now only five or six.  

At the current rate of progress, it is difficult to see these sections being finished by (say) end August, which will put them a clear three months behind schedule.

Meanwhile, Harmer was on the radio this evening (and probably will be again tomorrow morning) mumbling about 'progress' in his usual unconvincing way, and declaring himself satisfied with 'progress', and generally treating the public with contempt.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Meanwhile, Harmer was on the radio this evening (and probably will be again tomorrow morning) mumbling about 'progress' in his usual unconvincing way, and declaring himself satisfied with 'progress', and generally treating the public with contempt.

Everyone knew it would be a total disaster from day one. Is anyone honestly surprised it’s a complete mess and behind schedule. I wonder if they are at the compensation stage for the embarrassing mess they’ve made of Queens Prom already as the traders are furious and spoiling for a fight. That myprom thing is a joke too. You get the impression that all they do every day is sit round in a circle in a site hut and toss each other off in between pointless tweets that give the public absolutely no information of any value at all as they can’t tweet a truthful “fuck all happened again today” every day for six weeks. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2