Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade/Peel Road Megathread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Blimey. There are a fair few cracks in the new red bit. Time for our Rob to table a question in the house I reckon. 

Contractor: Wait, you never told us cars, buses and lorries would also be driving on the red bits, you told us it was just horse trams. That's a whole different specification of concrete. You need the more expensive blue stuff for that.

DoI: Erm….

Taxpayer: Ah, for fucks sake, NOT AGAIN! 

Edited by b4mbi
  • Like 1

They've stopped work on reinstating the road until they work out what to do about the cracking concrete. 

My money is on them having just used standard concrete but rails expand and contract in heat. The new train tracks have no expansion gaps and it's pushed up on the new concrete and hey presto CRACK! 

They should rip up all the track and concrete and just lay tarmac with no track. 

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

They've stopped work on reinstating the road until they work out what to do about the cracking concrete. 

My money is on them having just used standard concrete but rails expand and contract in heat. The new train tracks have no expansion gaps and it's pushed up on the new concrete and hey presto CRACK! 

They should rip up all the track and concrete and just lay tarmac with no track. 

As they don't appear to be going all the way to the sea terminal now they may as well rip them out. Either that or put the feckin things on the prom side and off the road altogether

• Like 1

You would have to ask the question: did a quality/conformance certificate accompany the loads prior to laying? If so, did anyone check it?

The old boys years ago used to build kind of a dam around newly poured concrete and keep it under water for 3 or 4 weeks. This is what happens when it dries off too quickly.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, the stinking enigma said:

The old boys years ago used to build kind of a dam around newly poured concrete and keep it under water for 3 or 4 weeks. This is what happens when it dries off too quickly.

So is this going to add to the 3 / 5 / 8 / 10 year contract to re-develop the prom ?

On 7/8/2019 at 2:16 PM, On The Bus said:

This..also the various other materials also have a different expansion and contraction level. Yes the tracks are welded together and were set directly onto the concrete pad. 

I see now over the last week or so the track not concreted yet has been lifted around 18mm and it looks like pads put in and different bolts. Not sure they still know if it will

work or not .

If it had been single track (with a passing place at Villa or where ever) who would have complained? Double track is crazy and unnecessary.

No one has admitted anything yet.

Chris Robertshaw has been on Manx Radio this morning 'speaking up' for businesses on Douglas Promenade. Although I think he is actually just using it as an excuse to be a naughty boy and have a pop at his old mates in government.

Minister Harmer had a quite different point of view on the Promenade.

From his country retreat, maybe Robertshaw has been forced to  realise that he is the MHK for somewhere in Douglas that unfortunately for him includes the Promenade. His neighbour Chief Minister Howard might have to stuff his mouth with (our) gold, persuade him to be a Minister again, and give him more ego boosting backslapping buffets to shut him up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gettafa said:

If it had been single track (with a passing place at Villa or where ever) who would have complained? Double track is crazy and unnecessary.

have to agree, double track totally unnecessary given volume of horse tram traffic. Should have been single track down the sea side of the promenade with 2 or maybe 3 passing places.

Would have made road works much simpler and quicker, caused less disruption. A complete nonsense that the walk ways couldn't be shared with the horsetram. They have electrified trams through the centre of Manchester which with much, much higher volume of people and footfall and I can't recall hearing a story about someone whose been hit by one.. 

I'm sure the vast majority of people could hear/see the slower, noisier horse trams without too many problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

have to agree, double track totally unnecessary given volume of horse tram traffic. Should have been single track down the sea side of the promenade with 2 or maybe 3 passing places.

Would have made road works much simpler and quicker, caused less disruption. A complete nonsense that the walk ways couldn't be shared with the horsetram. They have electrified trams through the centre of Manchester which with much, much higher volume of people and footfall and I can't recall hearing a story about someone whose been hit by one.. 

I'm sure the vast majority of people could hear/see the slower, noisier horse trams without too many problems.

It's also a complete nonsense that they are not doing anything about putting a small wall along the prom instead of the railings. First high tide of winter and the prom will be under water again.