Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade/Peel Road Megathread

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

I do think there is a level of exaggeration in these things. I remember the TT being cancelled due to the foot and mouth outbreak. The government paid out willy nilly to all sorts of tourism related businesses on some very large claims. Some had their best TT ever!  

It is self evidently a badly planned and executed dogs breakfast. You don’t need to be qualified (in anything to be fair) or a civil engineer to see that. As a few on the radio have already said if this had have happened to farmers Mylchreests would have seen a significant Range Rover sales boom by now with all the compo cheques dished out.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

It is self evidently a badly planned and executed dogs breakfast. You don’t need to be qualified (in anything to be fair) or a civil engineer to see that. As a few on the radio have already said if this had have happened to farmers Mylchreests would have seen a significant Range Rover sales boom by now with all the compo cheques dished out.  

Yes, it’s running behind hand. But it’s far to early to say it’s either badly planned or executed.

i think the phasing seems the only logical way of doing it without gridlock caused by shutting entitle sections. Traffic has kept moving.

Mylchreests aren’t Landrover or Jaguar dealers any more.

Looks like the Sefton will be in line for huge amounts of money from Gov as well as a new frontage for their hotel. Looks like the loans may not of been  needed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Mylchreests aren’t Landrover or Jaguar dealers any more.

But they will still source you a new Range Rover. 

I’d say it is very clearly badly planned. You don't need to be qualified to observe that. No workers at all on some stretches despite barriers being in place blocking it off. I do find it odd that the anger now seems to be directed at the traders who have pretty much done nothing but express how badly their incomes have been affected. You would assume they would wish to see management accounts or speak with their accountants to verify any downturn before they pay anything out but personally I believe them. I believe them as everything the DOI touches seems to turn to into crap. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, it’s running behind hand. But it’s far to early to say it’s either badly planned or executed.

There should have been a clear and concise plan published at the very start.

I doubt there is a project in the whole world that has ever gone exactly to plan, and so a plan is updated periodically - daily, weekly, whatever. As the work progresses on site and is monitored then the plan is updated accordingly, and it becomes more accurate as the work progresses.

Maybe there was a plan, but I've not seen it. The plan is there for everybody's benefit, not just for the contractor.

Maybe it is rocket science after all.

I had to drive through Antwerp recently, returning to Zeebrugge the same day, a return trip which should have taken a maximum of four hours. The city centre was in turmoil due to a big tramway and road project. When we got to our destination on the other side of the city, we were told that it has been a nightmare, with no alternative route. Our trip turned into eleven hours, we missed the return ferry and had to wait another day. There were areas fenced off with very little happening, seemingly and there were loads of retail businesses and hotels along the main drag which must have been suffering for months, maybe years? I wonder if they were getting compensation, or were they looking forward to the boost the new project would bring them? The promenade disruption is nothing compared to something like this, what we are talking about is basically people who can't park their car outside the door and are unwilling to use the alternatives provided in most cases. A bit of perspective and understanding is needed here.

It's less about 60,000 local unqualified civil engineers and more about keeping what's going on under scrutiny. That scrutiny needs to include the grounds for the proposal, the then ongoing works and the finished project as well.

Unfortunately, that scrutiny doesn't seem to exist much in the ranks of our politicos. Which is why we end up with FUBAR after FUBAR, followed by inquiry after inquiry, followed by handwringing and promises that "lessons will be learned".

Already the DOI have dismissed (to date, anyway) some of the very reasons that were trotted out for the instigation of the whole project. That needs questions to be answered to start with. How much more of the project is predicated on such theories? And if so, could the budget be cut accordingly? 

Otherwise, all the allotted money "has to be spent" (quote P. Gawne) and we end up with all sorts of Fancy Dan expenditure in the name of burning the set budget.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's less about 60,000 local unqualified civil engineers and more about keeping what's going on under scrutiny. That scrutiny needs to include the grounds for the proposal, the then ongoing works and the finished project as well.

Unfortunately, that scrutiny doesn't seem to exist much in the ranks of our politicos. Which is why we end up with FUBAR after FUBAR, followed by inquiry after inquiry, followed by handwringing and promises that "lessons will be learned".

Already the DOI have dismissed (to date, anyway) some of the very reasons that were trotted out for the instigation of the whole project. That needs questions to be answered to start with. How much more of the project is predicated on such theories? And if so, could the budget be cut accordingly? 

Otherwise, all the allotted money "has to be spent" (quote P. Gawne) and we end up with all sorts of Fancy Dan expenditure in the name of burning the set budget.

But the "allotted" money doesn't include any street furniture, DBC sent out a begging letter last year to cover that shortfall!

I walk the prom nearly every day. 

We were told that it was in dire straits and any day a hole would open up big enough to swallow a bus. So far all I have seen is what looks  like a very solid foundation. The quick scim done a few years ago seems like it was perfectly acceptable. Of course a super, high tech, glossy highway fit for the next 100 years will be lovely to have, only if we can afford it though.

• Like 2

And only if we are capable of carrying it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I had to drive through Antwerp recently, returning to Zeebrugge the same day, a return trip which should have taken a maximum of four hours. The city centre was in turmoil due to a big tramway and road project. When we got to our destination on the other side of the city, we were told that it has been a nightmare, with no alternative route. Our trip turned into eleven hours, we missed the return ferry and had to wait another day.

Are your posts being sponsored by the DOI at all? 

45 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Are your posts being sponsored by the DOI at all? 

I have to justify the £120k salary and pension somehow Willy, I'm struggling to fill my days! ;) 

Just offering a different perspective, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as is being made out.

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I have to justify the £120k salary and pension somehow Willy, I'm struggling to fill my days! ;) 

Just offering a different perspective, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as is being made out.

Is it going to be anywhere near as expensive as is being made out?

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Is it going to be anywhere near as expensive as is being made out?

I predict that it will be finished before time and under budget, how's that for PR!

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as is being made out.

Do you know that for a fact? I drive the prom at least 4 times a day and I’ve spoken to a lot of the shop owners on Marathon Terrace and the Castlemona Arcade. I don’t believe they are making it up just to be awkward.