Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade/Peel Road Megathread

5 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I wonder who had taken the cones away opposite Jaks. Cars were parked there (and ticketed) this morning. Strangely the cones have returned now. 

Seems they've found the password to the MyProm website 

• Haha 1

Thought I would try the MyProm Free Bus service today. Well, I would have done had it been running. But it wasn't. Waited an hour and zero bus.  

I'm hearing they're going to pull the plug on the horse trams early this year so they can actually crack on and get some work done.... it's about time! 

Harmer claims they're still only 9 weeks behind too! Likely story 

I still think they should have put access tunnels under the prom at 100 metre intervals and then all pipework, electrics, whatever, can be connected along the sidewalk to the access tunnels. Once all connected, the road should have been dug up, strengthened and tarmac laid over the top with no further need to cut/dig a hole in the new tarmac as like said, all the pipework goes through the access tunnels.

Ah well....A pipe dream  Hah :P

• Like 1

Amazing, you go away for ten days and all they seem to have managed is to erect more cones and fences. Oh and seriously pee off the southern residents.

BBC News online, Mr Harmer now announces a timetable of works review in order to try and, "Pick up time" on the 9 weeks the project is behind schedule.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

BBC News online, Mr Harmer now announces a timetable of works review in order to try and, "Pick up time" on the 9 weeks the project is behind schedule.

Looking at it objectively it's far more than 9 weeks behind. There's just over 1 year left of the original timetable and still no sign of the 50/60 men Harmer said would be working on it. Then there's the granite on pavements and around the Sefton to lay and going on Strand street timescale that will be a year alone !! Ohhh and then there's the cracking which will have to be repaired or replaced .. The services to properties on the Prom also will take added time as you can't just throw them in ...

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I'm hearing they're going to pull the plug on the horse trams early this year so they can actually crack on and get some work done.... it's about time! 

Some of the engineers told me it was a year behind. Note recent press now states 'substantially complete' whereas it was 'complete' no problem. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Brilliant strategy! Then of course they can blame the Manx winter weather.............

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Some of the engineers told me it was a year behind. Note recent press now states 'substantially complete' whereas it was 'complete' no problem. 

Some of the workers down there say the biggest thing holding them back is the horse trams and there is a push for them not to run at all in the next 18 - 24 months, so they can actually crack on and get things finished. 

The progress on Queens Prom has been glacial as they've been held back by having to accommodate the trams. Time to say enough is enough and sack them off for at least 2 years.

i'm no civil engineer but i'd have thought that at least somebody would have come up with the plan of cryogenically freezing the tram horses for 2 years, then re-animating them once the work is done. would save an absolute fortune in hay

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

i'm no civil engineer but i'd have thought that at least somebody would have come up with the plan of cryogenically freezing the tram horses for 2 years, then re-animating them once the work is done. 

As I recall, Findus have some experience in the field of frozen horses. The microwave instructions for re-animation were on the packet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If we can tie findus down to some sort of bogof deal here then it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. But, like I said, I'm no civil engineer. I'm sure they probably know more about this sort of stuff than the likes of me.

5 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Is this nine weeks behind thing before or after they have to dig up and replace all the red concrete they have laid so far. 

Is it nine weeks in dog time?