Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade/Peel Road Megathread

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

it can only be worse

I doubt it...

No mention of this in the weekly update email I have only  just received, you could almost think they are a bunch of clueless individuals completely out of their depth

35 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Ha. They have just announced an emergency closure of Broadway for five days from tomorrow to implement a revised traffic management solution. 

It's almost as if they didn't realise having a stop sign with a pelican crossing right by it may be a bad idea. 

Can't wait to see what they come up with next. 

Literally the very first thing I said when I saw it. The potential for someone to be knocked down by a vehicle turning into Broadway from the Gaiety end was obvious. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Literally the very first thing I said when I saw it. The potential for someone to be knocked down by a vehicle turning into Broadway from the Gaiety end was obvious. 

Except to the clowns running it...

I suggested earlier that Haydn Minay might want to keep a tow truck down there.

I hope that they erect a row of vertical pikes on the seaward side of the prom at the bottom of Broadway.

So that a selection of DOI heads may be mounted upon them.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

20 hours ago, John Wright said:

But, apart from heritage railways, does anyone, anywhere, use wooden sleepers nowadays, or at any time in the last 40 years. It’s all concrete sleepers.

As for ballast, the old tram tracks weren’t on sleepers or ballast, nor are light railway or tram systems in 100’s of European cities, and even Blackpool, Manchester, Wimbledon, Edinburgh etc, when they run on streets, pavements, shared areas.

Thats accepted engineering design practice for 120+ years. No wheel inventing there?

Granted but have you heard the racket and vibration the trams in Manchester create running on concrete. I assume they did that so that people can hear them coming and at least get out of the way. But on a sleepy heritage route across Douglas Prom? It doesn’t really seem to make much sense trying not to dampen the noise. 

27 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Except to the clowns running it...

I suggested earlier that Haydn Minay might want to keep a tow truck down there.

I was thinking more an ambulance myself. A pedestrian crossing that on red will be taking a big gamble. The splays to the lights are a bit suspect. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I doubt it...

if history has proved anything it is that  those useless cunts will definitely find a way to make it worse no matter how much effort it takes.

• Like 1

What the actual fuck at the end of Victoria Street! No right turn except to cross two lanes of traffic. And putting left and right hand lanes together in the left hand lane. :sorcerer:

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Ha. They have just announced an emergency closure of Broadway for five days from tomorrow to implement a revised traffic management solution. 

It's almost as if they didn't realise having a stop sign with a pelican crossing right by it may be a bad idea. 

Can't wait to see what they come up with next. 

The last 20 or more years people have been trundling down Broadway and on seeing a green light have just followed the car in front and now...... right over the STOP sign.

Has there been an accident there yet? A couple of Fridays ago there were various police and ambulance there (and a dog van??) but I don't know if that was a result of the somewhat bizarre temporary road layout or something else.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The last 25 or more years people have been trundling down Broadway and on seeing a green light have just followed the car in front and now...... right over the STOP sign.

Has there been an accident there yet? A couple of Fridays ago there were various police and ambulance there (and a dog van??) but I don't know if that was a result of the somewhat bizarre temporary road layout or something else.

Broadway is a mess already I’m not surprised they are having a re think as you have a Pelican Crossing right off a busy junction (soon to be roundabout). So people turn right to go up Broadway and end up blocking the junction when the lights are on. I also hope Onchan is prepared for the increased traffic as well as it won’t take people long to work out that the cars on the prom have to give way to the right so the best way to get on the prom will be to come down Broadway forcing the cars driving across the prom in to town to give way to you so people will stop going through Groudle or down Summerhill from Onchan roundabout and will probably drive through the other half of Onchan and drive down Broadway from St Ninians instead. Lights make much more sense on that junction. It does need a complete re-think. Surely all this stuff should have been professionally modeled? 

Edited by MrPB
Spelling
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The last 20 or more years people have been trundling down Broadway and on seeing a green light have just followed the car in front and now...... right over the STOP sign.

Apparently yes. Could be that Friday your referring too. Someone got knocked down on that crossing .

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Granted but have you heard the racket and vibration the trams in Manchester create running on concrete. I assume they did that so that people can hear them coming and at least get out of the way. But on a sleepy heritage route across Douglas Prom? It doesn’t really seem to make much sense trying not to dampen the noise. 

I haven’t noticed them being louder or creating more vibration than Amsterdam, Sofia, Dublin, Zaragoza, which are the last 4 places I’ve been which have had them.

And there’s a real difference between a double tram unit, weighing 40 tonnes, travelling at 3 or 4 times the speed  of a horse tram ( in shared space - and up to 50mph on dedicated segregated track ) and carrying 200+ passengers, and a light, slow horse tram moving at walking pace.

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Well maybe if your former colleagues policed that area and enforced it then maybe the crap drivers, and they must be to not do 20mph in a 20mph zone with adequate signage and bloody bright traffic lights, might just get the message to slow the hell down, pay attention and be considerate or leave their cars at home and fucking well walk.

Edited by yootalkin2me

35 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Well maybe if your former colleagues policed that area and enforced it then maybe the crap drivers, and they must be to not do 20mph in a 20mph zone with adequate signage and bloody bright traffic lights, might just get the message to slow the hell down, pay attention and be considerate or leave their cars at home and fucking well walk.

Sorry, I think you need Gary Roberts.

• Haha 1