Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
asitis

Expense allowance

Posted (edited)

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47626&headline=Politicians to get a 32% allowance rise for visits to London&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

I find this irritating that they get 7K per year tax free and receipt free expense allowances, but travel off island and they don't have to use it ! Surely this should only become payable after they have exhausted their 7K which should be receipted ! Couple this with their 10k dept uplift (bribe) and an extra 17K is not bad on top of basic !

How I would love to have someone elses money to spend !!!!!

Edited by asitis
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47626&headline=Politicians to get a 32% allowance rise for visits to London&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

I find this irritating that they get 7K per year tax free and receipt free expense allowances, but travel off island and they don't have to use it ! Surely this should only become payable after they have exhausted their 7K which should be receipted ! Couple this with their 10k dept uplift (bribe) and an extra 17K is not bad on top of basic !

How I would love to have someone elses money to spend !!!!!

I think a lot of people can sympathise with your comments but isn't that 7K specifically related to expenses incurred on their constituency & parliamentary (HOK & Tynwald) activities only?

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think a lot of people can sympathise with your comments but isn't that 7K specifically related to expenses incurred on their constituency & parliamentary (HOK & Tynwald) activities only?

Handy that ! no receipts either, just an uplift in wages imo !

In the real world receipts for business related travel and expenses are very much the norm ! but not when your slurping gravy from us taxpayers !!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes but they could also spend NONE of the £7,000 on anything, keep the money in its entirety, and still claim the flights and hotels on top which I do think is unfair. It’s either expenses or it isn’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes but they could also spend NONE of the £7,000 on anything, keep the money in its entirety, and still claim the flights and hotels on top which I do think is unfair. It’s either expenses or it isn’t. 

I don't necessarily disagree but one payment is for 'local' constituency work the other is for IOMG business (or at least it should be). One way or another it has to be paid for. Not defending it as such, just think there's a difference.

Does Rob C list his expenses in his blog? That should give an idea of the actual costs they incur. I don't read his blog but by all accounts he puts everything including the kitchen sink in there.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I don't necessarily disagree but one payment is for 'local' constituency work the other is for IOMG business (or at least it should be). One way or another it has to be paid for. Not defending it as such, just think there's a difference.

As with all government things it’s sematics. You get £7,000 a year pretty much for nothing. You don’t even have to file one receipt. But the minute you get on a plane you can then claim extra expenses that you do have to file receipts for. I don’t disagree with you in concept but if they don’t check what the £7K is spent on why should you automatically get more money on top as for all we know the £7,000 went straight into your own pocket and you could happily afford to pay for your own hotel room! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Does Rob C list his expenses in his blog? That should give an idea of the actual costs they incur. I don't read his blog but by all accounts he puts everything including the kitchen sink in there.

If I can recall some of the kick offs the last time he posted figures he can only account for about 50% of the £7,000 given and even that’s by claiming bollocks like new suits and shoes which aren’t really constituency expenses anyway to most people. 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If I can recall some of the kick offs the last time he posted figures he can only account for about 50% of the £7,000 given and even that’s by claiming bollocks like new suits and shoes which aren’t really constituency expenses anyway to most people. 

Not sticking up for him but work clothes are covered under expenses and as they all wear suits then this is legit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At a risk of injecting some facts into the discussion, much of the travel info is published on the Tynwald website

On IOM Travel exps http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/remall/Pages/OnIT.aspx

Off IOM Travel http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/remall/Pages/OffIT.aspx#OfIT

Parliamentary Jollies http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/remall/Pages/OITC.aspx Spewin Juan and Mr Rodent seemed to have had a good trip to the Seychelles!!

32 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Parliamentary Jollies http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/remall/Pages/OITC.aspx Spewin Juan and Mr Rodent seemed to have had a good trip to the Seychelles!!

The bagpipe-worrier has had more holidays (and thus no doubt slap-up meals and lots of top end wine) on the back of his parliamentary non-job than most families manage in a lifetime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I saw that Mhk woman made a interesting comparison for expenses for families going across for health reasons against the recent mhk expense allowance. 

We’re in it together!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Not sticking up for him but work clothes are covered under expenses and as they all wear suits then this is legit.

As a professional person you’re telling me that he does not own a suit to the point that he has to use his expenses to buy one to have meetings in? Sorry, I think it’s taking the piss to claim that should be a business essential item that’s covered by expenses to be honest. If the only way you can work through seven grand in one year is by buying expensive clothing for yourself to wear just to look presentable to do your job then something really is wrong with the expenses allowances. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If the only way you can work through seven grand in one year is by buying expensive clothing for yourself to wear just to look presentable to do your job then something really is wrong with the expenses allowances. 

Exactly. If Howard Quayle can get his suits and shirts from Oxfam (I presume because they look ill-fitting and second hand) to save a few quid so should Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

As a professional person you’re telling me that he does not own a suit to the point that he has to use his expenses to buy one to have meetings in? Sorry, I think it’s taking the piss to claim that should be a business essential item that’s covered by expenses to be honest. If the only way you can work through seven grand in one year is by buying expensive clothing for yourself to wear just to look presentable to do your job then something really is wrong with the expenses allowances. 

I understood that to claim for clothing  it had to be that which would not normally be worn by the recipient  during his/her private life eg the wig and gown that one was required to wear by an advocate in court (or young Juan ,............ don't know about the other service uniforms:lol:)  or approved safety clothing by a self employed construction worker.

Across, many years ago, it was customary  to wear a suit for Court work as an ' Enforcing  Officer'  , HMRC did not consider  that it was tax deductible.

Just saying:flowers:

• Like 1