Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrPB

Fitted up by the Sweeney?

Some of the recent headlines involving arrests make me think that we’re going back to 1970s style policing the way people seem to be fitted up for minor things. I thought the police were now officially too busy to get involved in kafkaque scenarios like this to get people in trouble? 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47828

I’m sure there’s more to this but as reported a man has an accident but strangely seems to end up getting done for carrying a knife despite the fact that he was using it for work and claims he had accidentally left it in his work trousers and had told the police it was in his trousers at outset before he was even searched. I had a Stanley knife that I also use for cutting cables on boxes either in my van or in my pocket most of last week. Should I live in perpetual fear of Regan and Carter turning up fitting me up as some sort of knife wielding manic too?

To be fair, some of your comments on here are quite cutting!!!

• Haha 1

I’m sure there’s more to this but as reported

- clearly, grounds to stop and search developed, and he was found in possession of an item which would be deemed an offensive weapon per se. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

- clearly, grounds to stop and search developed, and he was found in possession of an item which would be deemed an offensive weapon per se. 

So then it’s “Get your trousers on, we’re the Sweeney and you’re nicked!” 

Seems totally bizarre situation to be honest. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There is a defence for workmen but out of work do not think so.

And their missus always looks the bleeding same....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

There is a defence for workmen but out of work do not think so.

Where does the report indicate that he was unemployed?

However it's hardly normal for someone to be subjected to a search after a bog standard RTA.

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Some of the recent headlines involving arrests make me think that we’re going back to 1970s style policing the way people seem to be fitted up for minor things. I thought the police were now officially too busy to get involved in kafkaque scenarios like this to get people in trouble? 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47828

I’m sure there’s more to this but as reported a man has an accident but strangely seems to end up getting done for carrying a knife despite the fact that he was using it for work and claims he had accidentally left it in his work trousers and had told the police it was in his trousers at outset before he was even searched. I had a Stanley knife that I also use for cutting cables on boxes either in my van or in my pocket most of last week. Should I live in perpetual fear of Regan and Carter turning up fitting me up as some sort of knife wielding manic too?

I would not expect that a lock knife with a blade over 3" would be a tool of his trade.

Does seem a bit harsh. There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that he was going to do anything untoward with the knife, presumably he has no history of knife crime and he didn't try to hide it. £625 seems a bit disproportionate.  If there is more to it than meets the eye then this should have been brought up in court, although I suppose it may have been but not been reported by the rag.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Does seem a bit harsh. There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that he was going to do anything untoward with the knife, presumably he has no history of knife crime and he didn't try to hide it. £625 seems a bit disproportionate.  If there is more to it than meets the eye then this should have been brought up in court, although I suppose it may have been but not been reported by the rag.

When has that rag accurately reported anything...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

When has that rag accurately reported anything...

Very true 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rog said:

Where does the report indicate that he was unemployed?

However it's hardly normal for someone to be subjected to a search after a bog standard RTA.

Out of work doesn’t necessarily mean unemployed, just away from his work place, out of work hours.

Likewise, poor journalism, the report doesn’t say he was involved in the RTA, just that the police attended an RTA and came across him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andrew said:

Of course there is more to it.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/drink-driving-charges-dropped/

So it would appear that he was arrested on suspicion of drink driving, and the knife was found. The drink driving charge was seemingly dropped, but the knife charge stood.

But that sort of validates my point. They didn’t get him for one thing so perhaps fitted him up with another just for the fun of it because they could. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Is 'coming clean' that you have something on you that you know you perhaps shouldn't, make it ok, or does that make it even more not ok?

May have been best to say nothing.

Good ol' Sweeney. Regan and Carter - two Presidents of the USA names. I think Americans were influenced by the TV series in choosing their president back then. It was pre-internet days and TV was the only form of mass mind control.

Oh, and er, before you think I might be a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist (which I might well be) please provide logic as to how Trump became president of the USA.

Edited by gettafa