Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrPB

Fitted up by the Sweeney?

17 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Hang on are you of the thinking that he was charged went to court probably a few weeks later had the charges dropped then the police went out and thought well he had a knife at the time knife crime isn't really issue so let's just leave it on the off chance he gets off with drink driving and we can stick it on him then. Wow.

No you suggested that not me. I suggested that it was perhaps all a bit wooly from outset in terms of firm grounds to get a conviction but fortunately he had a forgotten knife in his pants which they logged too so they managed to get him on something rather than nothing. Seems to be very 1970s tactics to me. I’m sure it keeps the crime solved statistics up though. 

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

No you suggested that not me. I suggested that it was perhaps all a bit wooly from outset in terms of firm grounds to get a conviction but fortunately he had a forgotten knife in his pants which they logged too so they managed to get him on something rather than nothing. Seems to be very 1970s tactics to me. I’m sure it keeps the crime solved statistics up though. 

Pretty sure that’s not how it panned out but hey, if it fits your anti police conspiracies...

• Like 1

Each time I drive down the lane from our house, I have a fair chance of seeing my neighbour stood in the road  (a public highway) with a pair of hedge cutters in hand. Blade length estimate 12 - 14". No sheath or guards in place.

When I pass, the neighbour invariably turns from attending his hedge (from the public lane) towards me, raises the hedge cutters upwards in gesture, and smiles.

Should I stop the car and inform the Police?  He is clearly in possession of a 12" unguarded blade (or two).

My neighbour is a Deemster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Each time I drive down the lane from our house, I have a fair chance of seeing my neighbour stood in the road  (a public highway) with a pair of hedge cutters in hand. Blade length estimate 12 - 14". No sheath or guards in place.

When I pass, the neighbour invariably turns from attending his hedge (from the public lane) towards me, raises the hedge cutters upwards in gesture, and smiles.

Should I stop the car and inform the Police?  He is clearly in possession of a 12" unguarded blade (or two).

A very big hedge, or just fast growing ?

44 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

As comparisons go, that’s pretty shite

3 hours ago, Declan said:

I think you misunderstood when someone told you the pen is mightier than the sword. 

A pen in your pocket won't get you in trouble with the police.

15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Stanley blades snap, cable ties can be remarkably tough. If I was cutting a whole pile of them off a big scaffold job I'd want something a bit more robust than a stanley. I'm not defending the guy, again just pointing out his story on the face of it is feasible.

And Woody can't read.

anybody using a knife to cut cable ties wants locking up........

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

If it's who i think it is the guy is a scaffolder (or certainly was, not seen him for a couple of years) and having a knife is really useful for all the cable ties that they use for the netting. Can see why he'd have one in his pocket.

12 minutes ago, woody2 said:

anybody using a knife to cut cable ties wants locking up........

Toe nail clippers would do the job. 

I blame Crocodile Dundee for this knife stuff, same as I blame Billy fucking Connolly for all the effing and blinding on TV

But there again, you can't take toe nail clippers onto a plane. Or tweezers. 

When will that ban extend to likes of pens I wonder?

10 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

A pen in your pocket won't get you in trouble with the police.

And when will these items be considered weapons in public.

Thinking on all this, it started with a toy gun a few weeks back and someone is clearly in line for a promotion to sergeant, so maybe the cops are having a game as to who can get a conviction for the unlikeliest weapon.

(They certainly seem to be having a laugh as to who can get a conviction on the minutest piece of cannabis.)

Edited by gettafa

8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Thinking on all this, it started with a toy gun a few weeks back and someone is clearly in line for a promotion to sergeant, so maybe the cops are having a game as to who can get a conviction for the unlikeliest weapon.

(They certainly seem to be having a laugh as to who can get a conviction on the minutest piece of cannabis.)

That’s what I thought which is why I posted the link. It reminds me of that Not the Nine o'clock News sketch. Maybe there will be a report of someone getting arrested for walking on the cracks in the pavement, or wearing a loud shirt in a built up area after dark in next weeks paper?