Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Has Donny's bequest been squandered by MNH?

I can understand that the terms of this bequest may have been difficult to achieve but it seems that very little attempt has been made to adhere to the benefactor's wishes?

I do get the impression that MNH can be law unto itself sometimes, setting itself up as the supreme authority on certain subjects and making purchases which can be a bit dubious at times?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47825&headline=MNH denies pocketing funds from Donny's legacy&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds dodgy as, and the long winded defense from Edmund automatically tells you they know they're on the rob.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Sounds dodgy as, and the long winded defense from Edmund automatically tells you they know they're on the rob.

I wouldn’t leave a penny to MHN. I see one of the things they spent his money on was paying for a tent at a festival. How could that ever be someone’s legacy? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I don't have a problem with some of the money going on a tent for Laa Columb Killey (its a hard push to call it a festival!), it kind of makes sense. That is actually something useful for the parish of Arbory, in keeping with his will.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

Utter twunts! At least he is dead so he'll not know they've totally ignored his requests.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully now people will be thinking long and hard about leaving any money to them in future.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posters are only seeing what they want here without thinking about the practicalities of this.:(

Posted (edited)

A decade or so ago, my wife was bequeathed a reasonable sum by her last surviving parent.

As an aside, the will contained a couple of grand to each of half a dozen charities.

Having seen the bare-faced-cheek of those charities, hounding (and I mean HOUNDING) my wife during her period of grief (she was also executor) - we will never, ever, bequeath or donate to any charity that 

a) Has a professional fund raising team

b) Employs Directors on £100k plus salaries plus mega pensions ( in addition to their ex-public service pensions usually).

or,

c) Stops behaving like charity and sets itself up as a pseudo police force taking people to prosecution (RSPCA etc.) and fund raises on blatantly political grounds.

We have done a 180 Degree about turn - they will get zero, we now deal only with local charities with no employed (or pensioned) staff.

It has been a tough lesson to learn, but boy has it been learnt!

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

A decade or so ago, my wife was bequeathed a reasonable sum by her last surviving parent.

As an aside, the will contained a couple of grand to half a dozen charities.

Having seen the bare-faced-cheek of those charities, hounding (and I mean HOUNDING) my wife during her period of grief (she was also executor) - we will never, ever, bequeath or donate to any charity that 

a) Has a professional fund raising team

b) Employs Directors on £100k plus salaries plus mega pensions ( in addition to their ex-public service pensions usually).

or,

c) Stops behaving like charity and sets itself up as a pseudo police force taking people to prosecution (RSPCA etc.) and fund raises on blatantly political grounds.

We have done a 180 Degree about turn - they will get zero, we now deal only with local charities with no employed (or pensioned) staff.

It has been a tough lesson to learn, but boy has it been learnt!

Good. I am glad you had the determination to do that.

We lost a relative some time back who owned her own home and she went into "care".

I could not believe how quickly it was suggested that the house could be sold and the funds donated to said "caring" charity.

In the end some distant rellies appeared and took the lot. Not popular with the family, but the scavenging charity got nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a problem when the person preparing the will doesn’t check with the charity whether the bequest is one the charity could carry into effect.

I knew Mr Collister, I was secretary, then chairman of LCK. He was a successful exhibitor, especially in the vegetable groups, and not just at LCK.

Ive also been a trustee of MNH twice.

I draw wills professionally ( www.manxwills.co.im ).

Whatever the historic, collectible or displayable nature of his things, and, even if his estate was sufficient to build the museum and social facilities no account was taken of the ongoing  operating costs, heat, light, power, staffing, administration, or the willingness or ability of MNH to deliver without affecting other areas of operation.

No account was taken either of the fact that Arbory has halls, club houses, and other social institutions whose viability might have bee affected.

Im sure Mr Collister would have appreciate the replacement tentage for LCK.  The Royal, Southern and LCK cooperate and lend their exhibition and tea tents to each other. There aren’t three completely separate inventories. They get much more usage than you might think.

I know a case, at Earystane, where a small farmstead full of Victorian and Edwardian furniture and decoration, was left to the museum to be a museum. It’s not open. It is difficult to access. Or Larch Gerrard’s bequest.

I suppose that there are valid questions.

1. Do you just sell up and put the money into general funds, and do nothing to honour spirit and intent?

2. Do you sell up, account for the funds separately, and do things in spirit and intent for the heritage of the local area.

3. Do you try, however hard and costly, and to whatever detriment to your other operations, to follow the unrealistic terms of the bequest.

MNH have taken a course between 1 & 2. Funding things for Ballabeg and Colby, but keeping back and doing up Mr Collister’s former home and renting it out to generate income. That is a balance between splurging all the funds at once and spreading over a number of years.

Its long been an issue in heritage circles about what you can/should and can’t/shouldn’t  accept. A stately home comes with upkeep liability attached. Without an endowment you may not want to take it on.

Finally, don’t forget that MNH is a strange mix of public and private. The statutory, government body, funded by the tax payer, and Friends of MNH, private funds, legacies and bequests, money allocated to assist specific projects.

Just to be clear, I’m in favour of all the money and income from the bequest being spent in Colby/Arbory, and, say, within 21 years.

• Thanks 1

Very good John, but how much will be sucked up into wages, lawyers fees, admin costs from the original bequest. If you bequest 100k, 100k should be spent. 

Furthermore the earystane farmstead, there is an old farmhouse there gradually rotting away, it’s a fantastic spot. Next time I’m up there I’m checking it out!

4 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Very good John, but how much will be sucked up into wages, lawyers fees, admin costs from the original bequest. If you bequest 100k, 100k should be spent. 

Furthermore the earystane farmstead, there is an old farmhouse there gradually rotting away, it’s a fantastic spot. Next time I’m up there I’m checking it out!

None of it, because Mr Collister’s bequest is located in the volunteer led private part of the charity. It doesn’t pay the statutory body wages or expenses.

• Like 1

MNH should be transparent & state what the money has been used for

Courts were wrong to decree that the donation could not have been used for it's specific intent

50 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

MNH should be transparent & state what the money has been used for

Courts were wrong to decree that the donation could not have been used for it's specific intent

They have been transparent. There is a full list.

So, if no one was able/willing  to undertake the original specific  intent what happens to the fund. Gift fails, bona vacantia, Treasury.

The court tried to ensure it was used cy-pres, in as near a manner to original intent  as could be to deliver benefits to Colby/Ballabeg/Arbory.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Should have just made it a free bar happy hour in the Glen every Friday (for the next 100 years?). That would be a fun one.

There is an interesting court case where as part of his will a guy left £5k at Bar George for a free bar etc. I was glad to be there (**well pished emoticon**). The case would not have come to court but the wife had a new will signed while the chap was in hospital (as it turned out his death bed). The court held that the original will should stand.

The moral being, what seems a bit of a wheeze  at the time of writing can soon be seen as something quite different in the cold light of day.

Edited to add - there was a lot more to the matter of course, but I just like the style that someone left a sum like that for their wake.

Edited by gettafa