Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
def72

Beer Tent

1 hour ago, emesde said:

The Hooded Ram says problems applying for a licence were beyond its control,

?

In the sense that problems stopping me spending the next six months holidaying in Barbados are beyond my control. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

The Corpy issued a press release last Friday:

Licencing issues prevent Hooded Ram to operate in Bottleneck car park for 2019 TT Council confirms

Friday, 10 May 2019 15:32

The Hooded Ram brewery will not operate out of the Bottleneck car park over TT fortnight due to licensing issues, Douglas Borough Council has confirmed.

Council Leader David Christian MBE JP said: ‘The Council is in no way responsible for the cancellation of Hooded Ram’s festival in the Bottleneck car park; it is solely due to the company’s unresolved licensing issues.

‘The Council has always been fully supportive of Hooded Ram’s plans to stage the festival again this year after the company demonstrated its competence in putting on a successful attraction in the Bottleneck over TT fortnight in 2018.

‘While regrettable, the event’s cancellation is totally out of our control and the Council will continue to work closely with the Hooded Ram with a view to the company securing all the appropriate licences and returning to the Bottleneck car park for TT 2020.’

Councillor Christian added that in light of the festival not taking place the Bottleneck would, most likely, operate as a car park as normal over the TT fortnight.

Which doesn't actually resolve what the contract says, though clearly they don't regard this year's disaster as breaking it.  Given the hints I found earlier, I do wonder if a lot of what the Corpy expected to get paid was related to the takings or profit of the operation, which may explain HR's lack of enthusiasm.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

HR says it's looking forward to working with Douglas Council next year.

It's good to know that somebody is.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Declan said:

If Hooded Sham are bound by the terms of lease (and it's collectible) it'll be a zero. In fact the ratepayer will get the parking fees on top of the rent.  

Disagree. There's a percentage of take lost. Ratepayer loses overall IMO.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I don’t believe that AT

Rate payers would do better financially if there was no TT at all

Edited by dilligaf

31 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I don’t believe that AT

Rate payers would do better financially if there was no TT at all

I think if you asked the businesses in Douglas that - they'd laugh you out the shop/hotel/restaurant/etc.

• Like 1

I prefer to spend my money in the diverse and proper Manx pubs,im not saying im an old joker,but the fact is, i miss the Dogs home, Yates's with the 2 types of wine in the big barrels,Groudle glen pub,the Highlander etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

I prefer to spend my money in the diverse and proper Manx pubs,im not saying im an old joker,but the fact is, i miss the Dogs home, Yates's with the 2 types of wine in the big barrels,Groudle glen pub,the Highlander etc.

Christ, when were you last out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Christ, when were you last out?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I think if you asked the businesses in Douglas that - they'd laugh you out the shop/hotel/restaurant/etc.

That is so sad then.

A business depending on the spend of TT fans is a business that needs to cease

They will cease when the TT finally dies, and that isnot too far away

Edited by dilligaf

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Are you sure? That would mean  the Corpy gave a five year lease based on rent plus percentage take to a firm without a track record of running the tent over the firm that had been running it for the previous twenty years. 

20 minutes ago, Declan said:

Are you sure? That would mean  the Corpy gave a five year lease based on rent plus percentage take to a firm without a track record of running the tent over the firm that had been running it for the previous twenty years. 

Sounds the sort of judgement our local politicos would make. Especially IF there was any "encouragement" offered....

• Like 1