Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
def72

Beer Tent

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

There are quite a few who seem to have changed their tune above. I found a link but it was the wrong one. There were quite a few supporting HR at the time. 

Pretty sure people were questioning why HR shouldn’t get the bottleneck, and why DBC should have just given it to MB. Both seemed to do well last year and we all had a choice where to go

There were several threads in 2017 when this started, but the main one was this:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62228-bushys-to-lose-tt-site/

though Albert started one later:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62498-who-tried-to-kill-bushys-tent/

there's obviously something about the topic that makes people see double.

For what it's worth most people backed Bushy's because they had built up the business and there was some suggestion that Hooded Ram was not the top-bidding contender.  I now wonder if the Hooded Ram bid was mainly turnover-based and of course if it's not run DBC won't get anything more than the basic yearly fee (if that depending on how the contract was drawn up). 

I've just been reading some of "Notwell's" contributions in the above links to the past debate....Bushy's tent "smelling of piss and the new operators going to move things forward"...

Well, we can see where that got us.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Pretty sure people were questioning why HR shouldn’t get the bottleneck, and why DBC should have just given it to MB. Both seemed to do well last year and we all had a choice where to go

:lol: Yes HR did so well last year that 3 weeks before this TT week they still haven't even booked any security or acts and got their license withdrawn by the licensing court. They must have done that well that they couldn’t be arsed doing it all again this year :lol:

• Like 3

He has been brewing without a licence, had his licence rescinded in U.K. after a spat with customs and excise according to the media......allegedly.    It was a few weeks ago so please do not ask for a reference...   he just seems to think he is teflon.

I know that Bushy’s is regarded as a TT institution and part of the TT experience for some. Mr Bushy does quite well out of it, I am sure. It might be worth asking him how much he actually invests in the TT event, upon which his business does so well on the back of. My guess is zero £. 

2 minutes ago, joebean said:

I know that Bushy’s is regarded as a TT institution and part of the TT experience for some. Mr Bushy does quite well out of it, I am sure. It might be worth asking him how much he actually invests in the TT event, upon which his business does so well on the back of. My guess is zero £. 

So you’re saying that he doesn’t 

* Buy all the beer and spirits

* Pay all the staff 

* Pay all the bands to perform 

* Pay all the security staff

* Pay all the lighting and sound engineers to put the sets up

* Pay rent to government for the site 

Oh right, not really a plausible argument is it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, joebean said:

I’d give up on the guesswork if I were you. You’re rubbish at it

No I am not saying that. I am saying that others, like Motorsport Merchandise, who make money on the back of the TT and the use of its branding also contribute large amounts of money to the event. It’s not just Mr and Mrs Taxpayer who have the responsibility to invest in making it happen so others can profit. But keep on supporting Bushy’s devine right if you wish. 

Just now, Neil Down said:

I’d give up on the guesswork if I were you. You’re rubbish at it

And your guess is?

Just now, joebean said:

And your guess is?

I don’t do guesstimates...

1 minute ago, joebean said:

No I am not saying that. I am saying that others, like Motorsport Merchandise, who make money on the back of the TT and the use of its branding also contribute large amounts of money to the event. It’s not just Mr and Mrs Taxpayer who have the responsibility to invest in making it happen so others can profit. But keep on supporting Bushy’s devine right if you wish. 

It’s a poor argument really on the basis that he invests a huge amount into the Bushy’s village which is a big part of the TT experience. You work for the DfE and I claim my £5!  Everyone must pay the IOMG tithe to keep the CS paid and in post otherwise they’re spongers! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

What would you have Bushy's do then that they don't do already ?

Pay licensing fees and TT sponsorship to the commercially astute Gods in the DfE to keep them in jobs according to Joe Bean! Otherwise he’s a TT sponger!

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

But this is why our taxpayers money is spent to hold the TT. So that local concerns can reap the benefit of "the spend" and it all supposedly filters down into our economy and pockets. We all "invest" in it via our taxes.

How much does anywhere else invest in the TT? Bearing in mind you can't even sell TT merchandise now without coughing up to Skelly and Callister's Mob first.

• Like 1