Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
def72

Beer Tent

10 minutes ago, joebean said:

I know that Bushy’s is regarded as a TT institution and part of the TT experience for some. Mr Bushy does quite well out of it, I am sure. It might be worth asking him how much he actually invests in the TT event, upon which his business does so well on the back of. My guess is zero £. 

I’d give up on the guesswork if I were you. You’re rubbish at it

No I am not saying that. I am saying that others, like Motorsport Merchandise, who make money on the back of the TT and the use of its branding also contribute large amounts of money to the event. It’s not just Mr and Mrs Taxpayer who have the responsibility to invest in making it happen so others can profit. But keep on supporting Bushy’s devine right if you wish. 

Just now, Neil Down said:

I’d give up on the guesswork if I were you. You’re rubbish at it

And your guess is?

Just now, joebean said:

And your guess is?

I don’t do guesstimates...

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, joebean said:

No I am not saying that. I am saying that others, like Motorsport Merchandise, who make money on the back of the TT and the use of its branding also contribute large amounts of money to the event. It’s not just Mr and Mrs Taxpayer who have the responsibility to invest in making it happen so others can profit. But keep on supporting Bushy’s devine right if you wish. 

It’s a poor argument really on the basis that he invests a huge amount into the Bushy’s village which is a big part of the TT experience. You work for the DfE and I claim my £5!  Everyone must pay the IOMG tithe to keep the CS paid and in post otherwise they’re spongers! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

What would you have Bushy's do then that they don't do already ?

Pay licensing fees and TT sponsorship to the commercially astute Gods in the DfE to keep them in jobs according to Joe Bean! Otherwise he’s a TT sponger!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

I know that Bushy’s is regarded as a TT institution and part of the TT experience for some. Mr Bushy does quite well out of it, I am sure. It might be worth asking him how much he actually invests in the TT event, upon which his business does so well on the back of. My guess is zero £. 

But this is why our taxpayers money is spent to hold the TT. So that local concerns can reap the benefit of "the spend" and it all supposedly filters down into our economy and pockets. We all "invest" in it via our taxes.

How much does anywhere else invest in the TT? Bearing in mind you can't even sell TT merchandise now without coughing up to Skelly and Callister's Mob first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s a poor argument really on the basis that he invests a huge amount into the Bushy’s village which is a big part of the TT experience. You work for the DfE and I claim my £5!  Everyone must pay the IOMG tithe to keep the CS paid and in post otherwise they’re spongers! 

No £5 I am afraid. Just a taxpayer who earns a lot less than Mr Bushy and does not want to subsidise his money making opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

No £5 I am afraid. Just a taxpayer who earns a lot less than Mr Bushy and does not want to subsidise his money making opportunity. 

Just envious of a successful self made businessman then :D I get it. 

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Is he subsidised? How much by? Is he not just paying normal rent for the Villa Gardens? Something anyone could do including you. He has taken risks with his own capital and made a success out of it.

The TT & FoM are just a massive subsidy for local business. As the attached report shows.

2019-GD-0028.pdf

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Is he subsidised? How much by? Is he not just paying normal rent for the Villa Gardens? Something anyone could do including you. He has taken risks with his own capital and made a success out of it.

The TT & FoM are just a massive subsidy for local business. As the attached report shows.

2019-GD-0028.pdf 415.46 kB · 1 download

As I pointed out above Martin Brunnscweiller presumably has to:

* Buy all the beer and spirits

* Pay all the staff 

* Pay all the bands to perform 

* Pay all the security staff

* Pay all the lighting and sound engineers to put the sets up

* Pay rent to government for the site 

And presumably also pays:

* Manx NI on all staff employed

* Manx VAT on all services secured (esp booze bought) 

* Manx tax on all profits made as an IOM business 

How on earth is that any form of subsidy? JB can only work for IOMG with that mindset. 

• Like 2

MB has continued to make a success in the face of being shit on by what passes for Govt and Local Authority on this Island. Did DBC give a damn for what he'd put on and established in Douglas for the past 20+ years when they decided to lick HR's backside (I wonder what greased the palms there). Despite it contributing to what Douglas had to offer over TT? Did they hell.

The fact that MB made alternative arrangements and pursued them to success has just proved that given the drive, you can be successful in business on IoM. DESPITE Govt and their mates best efforts. More power to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The fact that MB made alternative arrangements and pursued them to success has just proved that given the drive, you can be successful in business on IoM. DESPITE Govt and their mates best efforts. More power to him.

The government decision to hire out the Villa Gardens to Bushys is actually one the best decisions they've made in years. They have known for some time that the gardens should be a superb venue at TT, but frankly haven't a clue how to run it, or indeed any major events anywhere themselves. Hiring it out to an experienced local person/company was the right thing to do. Be interesting to see what it is like when it batters down with rain for days on end though. Gets very wet on those grounds sometimes, the drainage is crap.

Anyway, despite Bushys efforts there, Port Erin beach is still THE place to be at TT.

• Like 2