Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
def72

Beer Tent

It makes you wonder what’s going on in the world of one of the IOM’s premier HNW investors doesn’t it? Owner of an empty brewery warehouse that had no planning to store alcohol, owner of an empty property portfolio of unused and undeveloped properties, a bonded warehouse which he can no longer operate as his HMRC license has been pulled, and a pub chain with one pub which can’t even put on a beer tent during the biggest two week piss up the IOM ever gets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

No £5 I am afraid. Just a taxpayer who earns a lot less than Mr Bushy and does not want to subsidise his money making opportunity. 

I like to see people do well  and admire those who are prepared to graft and take a chance rather than opting for the safe alternative .

If you don't earn much then you have very little to lose  and with a good idea and a bit of luck you can succeed .

I would venture to suggest that you would only have subsidised Mr B if he got grants to set up his business  (never had /wanted  a Gov grant myself )  but as he seems to be successful if he had he would have 'repaid' more cash into the islands economy .

just saying:flowers:

Something puzzles me about HR and the bottleneck car park. It’s been said many times by Bushys - that organising for 2019 starts after TT18 closes. If that’s the case and Bushys have worked hard and got things done without dramas.

Im assuming that Bushys have liaised with Douglas Corporation, Starship Enterprise and all the relevant authorities. Surely to God HR and Douglas Corpy along with other relevant participants have had meetings during the year to see if -

Plan for TT

Tent on Order?

Acts booked? 

Security Booked?

i would be asking questions of The Starship Enterprise - are they totally blameless? After all in RC blog he likes to boast of visiting various businesses involved in the delivery of the TT. Or is it selective and Government pet businesses? Yes Hooded Ram have either screwed up and deserve the criticism, but Douglas Corpy deserve criticism for not being proactive and trying to rescue the situation. The same goes for the Starship Enterprise - silence is golden!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Something puzzles me about HR and the bottleneck car park. It’s been said many times by Bushys - that organising for 2019 starts after TT18 closes. If that’s the case and Bushys have worked hard and got things done without dramas.

Im assuming that Bushys have liaised with Douglas Corporation, Starship Enterprise and all the relevant authorities. Surely to God HR and Douglas Corpy along with other relevant participants have had meetings during the year to see if -

Plan for TT

Tent on Order?

Acts booked? 

Security Booked?

i would be asking questions of The Starship Enterprise - are they totally blameless? After all in RC blog he likes to boast of visiting various businesses involved in the delivery of the TT. Or is it selective and Government pet businesses? Yes Hooded Ram have either screwed up and deserve the criticism, but Douglas Corpy deserve criticism for not being proactive and trying to rescue the situation. The same goes for the Starship Enterprise - silence is golden!

Surely the HR is a business so I’d expect the Corporation not to expect them to be so stupid as to not to do anything. Do you think David Christian should be calling HR every month asking them how they are going to make money over TT Week and have they ordered some booze etc? Surely the assumption would be they’ve paid a fortune for the lease so they much be working to ensure they make money out of it? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Plan for TT

Tent on Order?

Acts booked? 

Security Booked?

Why should the Corpy have to chase things up. HR , it seems, have forked up big time so nowt to do with anyone else.

I don’t blame Rob, just the other one who has a few bob and plays games with peoples livings

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

i don’t blame Rob, just the other one who has a few bob and plays games with peoples livings

Rob took the money and the supposed fast track to untold millions and promises of pubs all over the UK and the IOM. He’s just as much to blame at the end of the day as everyone knows how Raj operates and the trail of empty properties, empty businesses and general destruction he can leave in his wake. HR and the Bottleneck deal is just the latest casualty and as usual our Government falls for all this high profile bollocks from HNW chancers time and time again. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Rob took the money and the supposed fast track to untold millions and promises of pubs all over the UK and the IOM. He’s just as much to blame at the end of the day as everyone knows how Raj operates and the trail of empty properties, empty businesses and general destruction he can leave in his wake. HR and the Bottleneck deal is just the latest casualty and as usual our Government falls for all this Hugh profile bollocks from HNW chancers time and time again. 

I have a family member who knows Rob from way back and she, like most people know he is genuine and thought he was being assisted in his venture. I feel very sorry for him personally, but would not share a tear if HR in its present form ceased.

I hope he survives this and goes on a stronger person.

21 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why should the Corpy have to chase things up. HR , it seems, have forked up big time so nowt to do with anyone else.

I don’t blame Rob, just the other one who has a few bob and plays games with peoples livings

You are right in your assumption and by logic. However, throughout the year Bushys have in all fairness been open and transparent in their plans, their plans for corporate entertainment etc. Unlike 2018 HR were silent, perhaps they did their brains in at the Bottleneck and tried to wriggle out of the contract/tender exercise etc. Something isn’t adding up though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You are right in your assumption and by logic. However, throughout the year Bushys have in all fairness been open and transparent in their plans, their plans for corporate entertainment etc. Unlike 2018 HR were silent, perhaps they did their brains in at the Bottleneck and tried to wriggle out of the contract/tender exercise etc. Something isn’t adding up though.

I think DTC needs to confirm whether its kept the money from the 5 year deal now or not. FOI anyone although I’m sure it will be commercially confidential. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I think DTC needs to confirm whether its kept the money from the 5 year deal now or not. FOI anyone although I’m sure it will be commercially confidential. 

Well they should keep it. Maybe even bin the HR off.

Maybe Martin can run two tents ?

Maybe H&B can run one from there.

Edited by dilligaf

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well they should keep it. Maybe even bin the HR off.

Maybe Martin can run two tents ?

Maybe H&B can run one from there.

If Bushys want the Bottleneck, let them bid for it in a formal tender. Nobody owes Bushys, we live in a free market capitalist society. If another firm, pub, restaurant or event management team want the site, they can bid for it. DBC were right putting it to tender, however as with most things screw ups and management of screw ups leaves a lot to be desired. Plus the rumour mill was active 24/7 with non stop theorises regarding HR and it’s owners being circulated.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Plus the rumour mill was active 24/7 with non stop theorises regarding HR and it’s owners being circulated.

If you seriously think that was a factor you should go to Birmingham and hear what they’re saying about him there. I’d be pretty much sure those rumours are fairly standard and have been for a while. They weren’t tactical in support of Bushy’s . 

Edited by MrPB
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

If you seriously think that was a factor you should go to Birmingham and hear what they’re saying about him there. I’d be pretty much sure those rumours are fairly standard and have been for a while. They weren’t tactical in support of Bushy’s . 

It is a great shame that Raj was not the person we all hoped he was going to be.

Maybe we are too naive over here and take people at face value ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe we are too naive over here and take people at face value ?

If by ‘we’ you mean government I’d say yes. I don’t know that many people in business who took anything at face value.