Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
manxkinho

Cordon around Woodville Terrace

I think in fairness to Manx Radio, they can only report on what the emergency services send them in press releases etc, seems like this one is locked down big style by the Police and I get that, even if a reporter turns up at the scene the Police will tell them nothing, so Manx Radio or anyone else will get nowt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

I think in fairness to Manx Radio, they can only report on what the emergency services send them in press releases etc, seems like this one is locked down big style by the Police and I get that, even if a reporter turns up at the scene the Police will tell them nothing, so Manx Radio or anyone else will get nowt.

3fm said it was an RTC. I presume this wasn’t released by the police else other stations would have also publicised it. They’ve simply made the story up.

• Like 3

We want you to tell us all about "it". We're not saying what "it" is,  though. You work that out for yourself.

• Like 2

The usual complete lockdown on information and media reporting. They're quick off the mark with this one though; they usually wait a few weeks or even months before putting out the call for the public to assist with incidents they've long forgotten. The police have always been shite at working with the public and the media over here; consequently they've never had the trust or the essential two-way communication that would make policing more effective. Two years (?) on and still not a squeak about the burglaries.

• Like 1

There seems to be a different approach to policing here, in fact a totally different attitude to information as a whole? Just across the water, information is forthcoming on most subjects very quickly, here there is a definite reluctance to keep the public informed about anything. It's almost like living in a totalitarian state in soma ways, absolute power lies with some people, we just haven't been informed who they are?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The usual complete lockdown on information and media reporting. They're quick off the mark with this one though; they usually wait a few weeks or even months before putting out the call for the public to assist with incidents they've long forgotten. The police have always been shite at working with the public and the media over here; consequently they've never had the trust or the essential two-way communication that would make policing more effective. Two years (?) on and still not a squeak about the burglaries.

I thought it was common knowledge that they knew who committed the burglaries but as with most burglaries, knowing and having enough evidence to prosecute after the event are two unfortunately different things. 

48 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There seems to be a different approach to policing here, in fact a totally different attitude to information as a whole? Just across the water, information is forthcoming on most subjects very quickly, here there is a definite reluctance to keep the public informed about anything. It's almost like living in a totalitarian state in soma ways, absolute power lies with some people, we just haven't been informed who they are?

We have previous form for burying any bad news over here!

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

We want you to tell us all about "it". We're not saying what "it" is,  though. You work that out for yourself.

If you were in the area at the time and saw something, then you wouldn’t need your memory jogging as it would be blatantly obvious it was this matter.

If nothing is coming to mind then you obviously didn’t see anything and so don’t need to know what happened.

• Like 3

' If you saw someone shiftily running away from a possible event carrying a weapon or covered in blood in the early hours of the morning, that you might have dismissed as nothing of importance, please do reconsider and get in contact with the police as it might have not have been as innocent as it looked. '

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

What do you need to be informed about though? If you were in the area at the relevant time and saw something that might be unusual give the police a call. If you weren't there at that time and were in your bed then you don't really need to know what has happened. If there was a danger to the public then I'm sure that would have been put out. 

Edited by thommo2010

As is often the case with our quick fire social media tell all culture, the public get mixed up about what is in the public interest with what is interesting to the public. It’s a dangerous mistake. 

• Like 2

There's knife crime on a daily basis on the streets of London and other U.K.cities, and the public (rightly) get to hear about it within 24 hours, through direct police statements and the various media. Names are released (rightly) at a later date. They see it as the public's right to information in a free, democratic and open society.

It's a bit different here though isn't it.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There's knife crime on a daily basis on the streets of London and other U.K.cities, and the public (rightly) get to hear about it within 24 hours, through direct police statements and the various media. Names are released (rightly) at a later date. They see it as the public's right to information in a free, democratic and open society.

It's a bit different here though isn't it.... 

They tell us those things don't happen here but when you talk to people around the place you find out knife crime is on the rise here too. Only it doesn't make the local news.

3 hours ago, finlo said:

We have previous form for burying any bad news over here!

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

What do you need to be informed about though? If you were in the area at the relevant time and saw something that might be unusual give the police a call. If you weren't there at that time and were in your bed then you don't really need to know what has happened. If there was a danger to the public then I'm sure that would have been put out. 

I think that people are entitled to know what is going on in their community, good or bad. It's not the right of publicly paid officials to withhold  information if there is no very good reason.

When the island was a holiday destination we lived in different times and crimes of violence were commonplace. Very rarely did you get to hear about things which you knew had happened. When you did they were played down to give the impression of a peaceful and idyllic island. Maybe we still have that outlook?