Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
manxkinho

Cordon around Woodville Terrace

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

erm, except we don't.

We do, hence the fuss. In a U.K. town or city this would not have been widely known about.

You are confusing knowing something has happened, ie police cordon, rumour, with wanting the detail.

Ever asked yourself why you think you need the detail? What real relevance has it to you? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

local and social media plus the police are more likely to be discussing and share info in the uk than on the iom.......

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, John Wright said:

Ever asked yourself why you think you need the detail? What real relevance has it to you? 

Well not meaning to be evasive, or indeed rude, but I'm not going to answer that. 

However getting away from that and on a general point:

A few years ago a mate of mine was held up by knifepoint on Douglas Promenade, by a little snivelling pissed/coked up shit. It was a frightening scenario and the assailant found he had a huge amount of power and it clearly gave the little shit a buzz. He was now Clint Eastwood or that Crocodile Dundee fella or whatever his messed up head believed him to be. As it happened my mate was not particularly frightened (he had been involved in riots and other such incidents when in the forces). His main concern, perhaps oddly, was the time that was going to be taken out of his life in the aftermath (police interviews, court etc) of ripping the little shit's arm off and sticking it with the knife still in his hand, up his arse. I realise that is possibly needlessly graphic, but it is accurate.

Now, my point is, UK is seeing a rise in knife crimes  (double stabbing and another knifing last night in London) and I would hate to see that happen over here as the norm.

If it takes 5 armed police or whatever to sort out something like this, in order to try preventing it happening on the Isle of Man, then Gary and the gang should crack on, and our politicians should provide our police with as much support as is necessary.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, John Wright said:

It’s a lot safer than Blackpool, Liverpool, Manchester. Any large U.K. town, in fact.

The problem we have is, local, perception, because we hear about every cough, sneeze, incident, and, mainly, talk it up.

I don't agree, John. We do not hear about every cough, sneeze, incident, just that "something has happened".  There was a spate of unusual stuff  with no clear information.

We hear on international news all the time, within minutes, about serious incidents,  usually stabbings at the moment  sadly.  Every community in the world will have as much interest in what has happened in the next street as we do.

It is not nosiness, but openness.  This is an open society, and without wanting to jeopardise an investigation,  why can't information be given?

Frankly, when information is withheld  in a criminal process there has to be a very good reason. After all, the basis of criminal law is that an offence has been committed against the whole  of society. Criminality is a public offence.   

I would repeat that I would not expect or demand that information is given that jeopardises an investigation, but when general information is not forthcoming, you do have to question the "contract" that the individual members of society has with the state.  

We do live in a relatively safe place, but that should not have any relevance to openness.  Quite the reverse.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I’m not sure we live in such a safe place anymore. But reading the Chief Constables report I’m obviously wrong looking at the figures. Does the tourist board team do them as well? 

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

I don't agree, John. We do not hear about every cough, sneeze, incident, just that "something has happened".  There was a spate of unusual stuff  with no clear information.

Well said. I was trying to say something similar.

JW is from the 'let them eat cake' classes. (Getting your hands dirty with criminals does not count as an understanding of how the other half lives).

9 hours ago, gettafa said:

JW is from the 'let them eat cake' classes. (Getting your hands dirty with criminals does not count as an understanding of how the other half lives).

He shares cake?

9 hours ago, gettafa said:

He is a lawyer you know which means he is always right 

• Like 1

You're right of course Gizo.

But lawyers are right only 50% of the time. And that indeed is a fact.

The art of law (ie £££££££s) is to ernestly argue bollocks as if you mean it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, display name said:

He shares cake?

it doesn't look like he does. 

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, WTF said:

it doesn't look like he does. 

Not at all fair. The man has been ill for a long time and I guess steroids don't act as slimming pills.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Not at all fair. The man has been ill for a long time and I guess steroids don't act as slimming pills.

when the fuck has fair had anything to do with these forums?  if something gets set up i'm knocking it down without malice  ( usually )

1 minute ago, WTF said:
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

when the fuck has fair had anything to do with these forums?  if something gets set up i'm knocking it down without malice  ( usually )

I like Kevin bloody Wilson, Roy Chubby Brown, and many other very rude comics, but I don't like real people being the butt of jokes when their health is/was on the line.

That is all I am saying.

Posted (edited)

do you mean real people you know?  IIRC i think it was you who charged to peter karrans defence over the IQ quip i made which had nothing to do with health.  my sense of humour filter never got installed.

Edited by WTF

45 minutes ago, WTF said:

do you mean real people you know?  IIRC i think it was you who charged to peter karrans defence over the IQ quip i made which had nothing to do with health.  my sense of humour filter never got installed.

I mean real people like John Wright. You aren't fit to wipe his shoes, yet poke fun at him without knowing the situation.

• Like 1