Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
manxkinho

Cordon around Woodville Terrace

Posted (edited)

edit - I may have misread the twiiter thread

Edited by TheTeapot

30 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Imagine if this was your job. What kind of brain thinks this nugget of information is worth a tweet?

it was more the timing of posting it........

Top of Page 9 and no-one's made the obvious malapropistic joke about celebrity sightings...

giphy.gif

The number of times a serious incident would require a press release would probably not justify a full time Press Officer.

A better solution may be an arrangement with a journalist brought to the site and given the correct information.

There would be a pre.arrangement not to embellish or sensationalise and to share the info with other media outlets.

Free!

• Sad 1

A full-time Press Officer wouldn't change a thing. It's the culture of the police that needs changing; but the police only reflect the wider culture of the Island. We're still largely a relic of a closed society where there is too much secrecy; little real accountability; far too many opaque decisions and processes; a self-serving judiciary; and a weak government and media controlled by long established interests.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

So, one stab wound and one blunt force trauma. Well stacks up to what is known to be a car involved in the incident. 

26 minutes ago, Gizo said:

So, one stab wound and one blunt force trauma. Well stacks up to what is known to be a car involved in the incident. 

What? The car stabbed him?

52 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
1 hour ago, Gizo said:

What? The car stabbed him?

This just proves what has been said about the total lack of info from the Police. it would take very little in the way of info to treat the taxpayers as adults and inform them (us)  as to what has happened. Many people know what has gone on, by word of mouth, but I still feel that unless it is compromising to the case, we should all know what happened.

The population vote for their mhks  and also pay for the services of our police force and as such (in my view) have the right to know what is going on. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Gary Roberts has put something on Twitter pretty much confirming what I said earlier; the job takes priority, they quickly run out of bobbies during sizeable,fast-moving events, and they can’t afford a press officer. Also agrees the info flow might have been better.

A35A03FC-E852-46B3-BCEC-6365E96D1467.png

Don't do Twitter, or Tweets, don't know what it is or what they are.

But if Gary Roberts has time to learn what Twitter is, how to use it, ( unlike me) - why doesn't Gary Roberts have time to write a simple 40 word statement about the incident and leave others to broadcast, email, tweet, Facebook, Youtube or whatever other media communication that 40 word factual statement requires to distribute it?

Is he a Policeman or a Media star? Why does he need 'Media Staff' to issue 40 factual words about the situation?

If he has time to learn how to Tweet that he does not have enough on-scene staff or media staff then he could use that very time to issue a simple factual statement without needing either costly 'human resources'.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

A full-time Press Officer wouldn't change a thing. It's the culture of the police that needs changing; but the police only reflect the wider culture of the Island. We're still largely a relic of a closed society where there is too much secrecy; little real accountability; far too many opaque decisions and processes; a self-serving judiciary; and a weak government and media controlled by long established interests.

Looking at this communications mess maybe the IOM Constabulary could set up a YouTube channel and explain events in mime videos? I’m sure a mime artist making a sinister stabbing motion and steering an invisible car at someone would have imparted more information to witnesses than a letter through the letterbox asking if anyone has seen some unspecified event in the last few days.  

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

Looking at this communications mess maybe the IOM Constabulary could set up a YouTube channel and explain events in mime videos? I’m sure a mime artist making a sinister stabbing motion and steering an invisible car at someone would have imparted more information to witnesses than a letter through the letterbox asking if anyone has seen some unspecified event in the last few days.  

Not sure that would help tbh.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The courses are a couple of grand, and police- specific. The cops we send are the only police officers in GB doing the role. The Channel Islands have civ. Officers.

Personally, I think Gary is wrong on the PR Officer front. The manner of the media output on these incidents is clear evidence of a need. We’ve tried the cabinet office support approach before, and it is clunky at best.

With the right person (not me I hasten to add - I’ve moved on), a lot more could be done. Even providing the Road Safety Team with some grunt on that front would assist. And even in the morning aftermath of an event, they would have the space and time to work with the SIO to get the media strategy underway. I often had to chase, but had a day job to do  as well.

The right bod could also provide in house media, and social media training too, rather than us having to outsource it. So like I say, the cost benefits aren’t immediately apparent.  

Why does a professional policeman need a £2,000 course to issue 40 words about a job that he is paid to do?

I don't need thousands of pounds of taxpayers money to make a simple statement about my everyday bread and butter job.

You, Derek, have a fabulous new website about your new private venture - will you be employing a 'Media Executive' to speak your words for you?

The hospital staff who dealt with this incident are not making a big song and dance about it, they just dealt with it professionally as routine.

Does it really cost £2,000 for an already well paid professional to grow a pair?

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 1

Judging by the standards shown on the police media accounts they'd be best off spending the money on an English teacher.

Frankly, the argument about  not having the budget is bollocks.  The police do not need a PR officer  just an open disposition.  We pay for you,  so please tell us what is happening provided it doesn't jeopardise your investigation.  Other countries seem able to have an open relationship with their citizens, other than those  unopen countries like...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Frankly, the argument about  not having the budget is bollocks.  The police do not need a PR officer  just an open disposition.  We pay for you,  so please tell us what is happening provided it doesn't jeopardise your investigation.  Other countries seem able to have an open relationship with their citizens, other than those  unopen countries like...

Police attitude to information is dated back to the 70’s where knowledge is power

• Like 2