Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Fluffy

Patient Transfers

As a relative recent comeover I was surprised to learn the generous allocation from the government for travel and accommodation travelling to hospital appointments in the U.K. I personally had been used to funding my own expenses for such matters (as had my fellow 60m Britons). Now I learn there is a review to explore whether more should be given to those who travel for expensive and life saving treatment delivered by the NHS. Am I the only one thinking ‘this is madness?’  Given our low tax environment and healthcare problems on island, shouldn’t we be stumping up our own Flybe tickets and premier inn stays? 

16 minutes ago, Fluffy said:

As a relative recent comeover I was surprised to learn the generous allocation from the government for travel and accommodation travelling to hospital appointments in the U.K. I personally had been used to funding my own expenses for such matters (as had my fellow 60m Britons). Now I learn there is a review to explore whether more should be given to those who travel for expensive and life saving treatment delivered by the NHS. Am I the only one thinking ‘this is madness?’  Given our low tax environment and healthcare problems on island, shouldn’t we be stumping up our own Flybe tickets and premier inn stays? 

And it you've no income through illness?

7 minutes ago, Fluffy said:

Am I the only one thinking ‘this is madness?’ 

No, you’re not.

• Thanks 1

I was going away for eye appointments at the Royal for a while, there were two check up appointments I went to which lasted all of 5 minutes. Pretty sure these could have been carried out by any optician on the isle of man, and saved a load of money. Still, it was nice going for a few pints in Liverpool.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I was going away for eye appointments at the Royal for a while, there were two check up appointments I went to which lasted all of 5 minutes. Pretty sure these could have been carried out by any optician on the isle of man, and saved a load of money. Still, it was nice going for a few pints in Liverpool.

Very good point sir

22 minutes ago, Fluffy said:

It’s a bit mad on the basis that the DHSC is being asked to rein in its budgets so it’s hard to see how this review will achieve that. As you say if people in the UK have to travel they largely have to fund it themselves. Also I think most patient expenses are covered the main issue being raised is the cost of partners and carers accompanying people. Not actual people receiving treatment. 

• Thanks 1

Odd how you didn’t pick up on the recent increase in MHK allowances for travel across, yet feel free to comment as a relative recent come over on the costs involved in going across for treatment.  I suggest you get ill and then post some more you twat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Why do people in the UK have to travel anywhere by plane, and which countries do they go to?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, manxst said:

Why do people in the UK have to travel anywhere by plane, and which countries do they go to?

Train travel is as much as air travel, especially if it’s short notice! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fluffy said:

Why As a relative recent comeover I was surprised to learn the generous allocation from the government for travel and accommodation travelling to hospital appointments in the U.K. I personally had been used to funding my own expenses for such matters (as had my fellow 60m Britons). Now I learn there is a review to explore whether more should be given to those who travel for expensive and life saving treatment delivered by the NHS. Am I the only one thinking ‘this is madness?’  Given our low tax environment and healthcare problems on island, shouldn’t we be stumping up our own Flybe tickets and premier inn stays? 

Wind your neck in and crawl back into your shell.

You are kidding nobody with your stupid posts.

• Like 2

Not everyone who needs medical help can afford to be flying across for treatment ! stupid post !!

I can see the attraction of the OP’s ideas.

However it isn’t true that 60 million Brits pay their own way to hospital.

More than half attendees get paid for transport, ambulances or taxis, or are able to use free bus passes.

If the IoM is to offer comprehensive health care it is too small to offer every speciality or complex, cutting edge surgery or treatment.

Without assistance with fares and accommodation many people would be unable to afford treatment and be in serious pain and discomfort. Some would die. There’s a huge cost there.

Does it outweigh flights, boats and a contribution to essential stop over costs?

Does it save on other costs?

Im pretty sure it does.

Within last two years I was treated for Leukaemia. I spent 11 weeks on induction chemo as an inpatient in Liverpool. A local, from Merseyside would have spent six. They’d have then gone home and done 5 weeks as a day patient. I was too ill to travel daily from IoM. But the billed costs of being an inpatient, from the trust to DHSC were more than the daily air fares.

Once I’d finished induction I went on 4 week cycles. Week 1 was 5 days chemo, weeks 2, 3 & 4 2 days chemo. For 7 months.

Week one I could have done daily flights, been an inpatient, or stayed in an hotel. I chose the latter. The hotel cost was less than the inpatient charges, which were less than the daily flights.

The allowance of £28 per night left at least 100% shortfall.

Don't get me wrong. I’m grateful for all the assistance I got. I didn’t claim everything. I could, probably, have paid all of it. Although 9 months of no income, and still being signed off has been difficult.

But I’d have been left with a £3000 bill (at the contract prices) for flights and taxis, every month.

There are ways it could be streamlined, and made more cost effective.

First, the flights contract. Flybe get paid £155 per single flight. It gives a flexible ticket. You can do a return for sub £50 on easyJet or sub £70 on flybe. In fact, when I found that fixed price out I started booking my own tickets to save costs, I did claim back. The contract needs renegotiating. EasyJet won’t take all the passengers because their on the ground turn round time doesn’t allow.

Second, accommodation. There should be a Hall of residence in Liverpool, owned/run by DHSC with en-suite study bedrooms. To save cost on extended stays and essential stop overs. Clean, warm, safe.

Third, whenever treatment can be given at Nobles it should. I campaigned for my treatment to be repatriated. Several false starts. But eventually 2 Oncology Day Centre nurses were sent to Liverpool for training. I got my last two months treatment on ward 20. I was on an experimental chemo. One that Nobles pharmacy and ward 20 had never handled before.

Fourth, and more controversially, means testing has to be considered.

Patient transfers appear overwhelmed. Perhaps it could be outsourced? I gave up trying to phone. I e-mailed. It was hit and miss. That’s another reason I moved to self booking.

Then, again controversially, there is self help, responsibility, and tackling hospital appointment systems and their inefficiencies. Once a month, through all the treatment, and now once every three months for check up, I needed a bone marrow biopsy and to see the consultant. Nobles don’t do BMB. There are enough having them, who currently get sent to Liverpool, to justify recruiting and training a nurse practitioner. Two per week would be break even on wage and training costs.

I couldn’t have the BMB on chemo days. Liverpool BMB clinic day was Thursday. Consultant clinic was Wednesday. I bullied. My consultant now sees me on Thursday whilst the nurse is pushing a corkscrew in a large needle into the back of my pelvis. That saves two flights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Second, accommodation. There should be a Hall of residence in Liverpool, owned/run by DHSC with en-suite study bedrooms. To save cost on extended stays and essential stop overs. Clean, warm, safe.

Could have been built in to the new ferry terminal...

edited to add, I hope you are on the mend John, you’ve had a bloody rotten run of it.

Edited by Derek Flint

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Could have been built in to the new ferry terminal...

It needs to be a bit more central, access to shops ( Tesco express etc for food ), chemist, takeaways and public transport.

• Like 3