Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Shake me up Judy

Billy McNeill - Scottish football legend RIP

Why is he flanked by two extras from “The Italian Job”.

If I recall correctly, they're actually two Lisbon cops who wanted to pose with Billy and the trophy after Celtic won the European Cup in 1967. It's one of my favourite football images and memories from a golden era of British football. I think I listened to this match on a crackly radio when I was a kid and probably cried at the end when Jock Stein's Celtic beat the mighty Inter Milan to bring home the European Cup.  

On 4/23/2019 at 11:29 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

If I recall correctly, they're actually two Lisbon cops who wanted to pose with Billy and the trophy after Celtic won the European Cup in 1967. It's one of my favourite football images and memories from a golden era of British football. I think I listened to this match on a crackly radio when I was a kid and probably cried at the end when Jock Stein's Celtic beat the mighty Inter Milan to bring home the European Cup.  

The Lisbon Lions. I remember Tommy Gemmell. A Scottish Team will never win the Champions League!