Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Kitten Mittens

Geocaching

1 hour ago, display name said:

So you were guided by gps to explore rather than your own sense of intrigue and adventure?   What an individual you must be

I am not going to get into a petty argument with you.

I do not need geocaching to get out and explore, however, if there is a series of geocaches in an area that has lots of positive comments then I treat it as a recommendation to visit and explore.

Out of interest how is using GPS any different to using an OS Map and a compass?  Do you just set off into the countryside without knowing where you are or where you are going?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, display name said:

So you were guided by gps to explore rather than your own sense of intrigue and adventure?   What an individual you must be

I used to enjoy a bit of orienteering back when my knees allowed it. All about the participation and enjoyment the individual gets out of it... :flowers:

I've tried Geocaching with my kids, but usually we are disappointed that we can't find the cache or if we do find it there is nothing exciting for the kids to swap. And usually there aren't many that aren't close to each other. 

I've recently discovered an app called Actionbound which is an app where you can follow treasure/scavenger type hunt. I created one for my son's birthday party. Feel free to give it a try.

https://en.actionbound.com/bound/noblespark1

34 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Do you just set off into the countryside without knowing where you are or where you are going?  

I do. Got lost last week somewhere round Grenaby following random footpaths. Ended up at the Cringle so I knew where I was then.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, Gizo said:

Old railway line from Union mills to St. John’s. Should clear about 20 on that one. 

A lot of the caches along there are just mini caches ie pieces of paper in a camera film canister. My daughter loves caches with swaps. Archellagan is really good for those. Also found a trackable up at the point of Ayre that started in the States :)

• Like 1