Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Prof. Peter Edge, Independence? (PAG meeting Monday 29th April)

5 minutes ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

No, I wouldn’t cross the road to piss on his shoes. 

By the time you had hoisted your skirt and dropped you bloomers, he would be long gone anyway. 

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I dunno, he was't that far off getting elected last time, and with Moorhouse being a disappointment and Cregeen currently anonymous (this might be a clever tactic) I'd say he's probably got a decent chance.

Yep. No strong feelings either way about Gawne, but what you say about the other two is putting it mildly, so it's hard to disagree.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

By the time you had hoisted your skirt and dropped you bloomers, he would be long gone anyway. 

Not really. He’s just a talentless wanker. Now part time clerk for a minor local authority. If you want to extend your conservatory give him a ring. Otherwise no point in getting in touch. He’s saved the IOM from a lot by never being Chief Minister. 

32 minutes ago, parchedpeas said:

This thread is hilarious in the current climate. Who seriously looks at the clusterfuck that Brexit has turned out to be and thinks 'hmmm yes we need some of that over here'?

And then the usual remarks about 'running the country like a business' from the right-leaning idiots who aren't watching social care 'companies' going bust in the UK and have glossed over the disaster of outsourcing to companies like Carillion.

Instead of running away from everything - like the UK is doing (badly) - why not try fixing things from within. You start with making a list of things you want the country to be - can I suggest that happy and healthy should be top of that list - and after that you work out how much that lifestyle costs. Then you set your tax-rates to cover that amount and you guarantee those who pay in that they will get what you say they will get, so you don't break the social contract.

Despite what the Isle of Man has spent 40 years trying to tell you, money does not buy happiness. 

May I take you one step back ...

Instead of making a list of what you want....And then taxing to pay for it (Children do that at Xmas and Birthdays).

How about, first making a list of what taxes can be afforded and then seeing how much you have to go shopping with?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yep. No strong feelings either way about Gawne, but what you say about the other two is putting it mildly, so it's hard to disagree.

Cheezy "liked" that post , which goes against what she/he/it was saying.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Cheezy "liked" that post , which goes against what she/he/it was saying.

But Gawne is a total wanker. 

1 minute ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

But Gawne is a total wanker. 

Can you match his qualifications, or even spell them. Go away fool.

Just now, dilligaf said:

Can you match his qualifications, or even spell them. Go away fool.

He doesn’t have any qualifications so yes I can, 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Without going into chapter and verse, we would not reap equivalent money from our own VAT set up to what we currently get without increasing the rate and/or the scope dramatically. Also, if we put income tax up we are killing our only real selling point. It's already marginal for anyone on less than about £60k when you consider the cost of living and travel.

I agree insofar as we should always review our place in the world, although I think independence may be nicer to relish than to experience. But what do I know; I ain't Manx.

As I said, I am undecided with no strong feelings either way, what annoys me immensely is the structure of our government and how most of our MHKs and MLCs are reluctant to relinquish the 'power' they perceive that they have. We have no opposition to government, it's a talking shop full of group think!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

He doesn’t have any qualifications so yes I can, 

Well, a PHD at least.

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As I said, I am undecided with no strong feelings either way, what annoys me immensely is the structure of our government and how most of our MHKs and MLCs are reluctant to relinquish the 'power' they perceive that they have. We have no opposition to government, it's a talking shop full of group think!

Frequently more group than think.

• Like 1

Not a snowball in hell's chance of this Island surviving as an independent country. Neither the economic critical mass nor the political nous.

The only way they can afford to run the place currently is swindling tax arrangements (sorry, legal avoidance measures) and with the way that's being stamped out we'd be back to spuds and whiting (cos the herring have been raped to extinction) and huddling in shawls.

Dreams of nationalist twits. Champagne nationalist twits who've got fat on Govt largesse and would be the first to bail faced with the reality if it came to that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Not a snowball in hell's chance of this Island surviving as an independent country. Neither the economic critical mass nor the political nous.

The only way they can afford to run the place currently is swindling tax arrangements (sorry, legal avoidance measures) and with the way that's being stamped out we'd be back to spuds and whiting (cos the herring have been raped to extinction) and huddling in shawls.

Dreams of nationalist twits. Champagne nationalist twits who've got fat on Govt largesse and would be the first to bail faced with the reality if it came to that.

Pretty much a thread closer, that. Are there still whiting around? Thought we might be left with spuds and crabs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Well, a PHD at least.

In what?,lighting fires and banging on about his mother being from Northumberland?

• Haha 1