hampsterkahn

School seeks compensation over bottled water

9 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Let me know which one of you figures it out first x

I've figured it out, paul.

• Like 1

Wel i meant nelly or moji, but well done blobbie. Still smart x

31 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I figured it out straight away. Obvious really x.

Agreed, pretty obvious.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, woolley said:

Yes. We do that too. Manx water is wonderful. It's what the cretins do to it that ruins it. They chlorinate it to counteract the acid from the piping. Trouble is they overdo it massively and on occasions the pH has reached 10 tested under scientific QC conditions. Turn the tap on it smells like a swimming pool. Just get a filter. Not expensive.

Buying bottled water IS ridiculous, and the plastic particles you are drinking from them will probably be more harmful cumulatively than anything you get from the tap.

Anybody else remember the Camelford water contamination incident when they dumped an excess of aluminium into the local water supply leading to contamination that it was feared would lead to a huge surge in Alzheimer's cases?

Plus a lot of our water supply, particularly in older properties, is still plumbed in lead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Anybody else remember the Camelford water contamination incident when they dumped an excess of aluminium into the local water supply leading to contamination that it was feared would lead to a huge surge in Alzheimer's cases?

Plus a lot of our water supply, particularly in older properties, is still plumbed in lead.

Yes. And of course, this is why they chlorinate the water. Unfortunately they do it to such excess that on occasions it is alkaline enough to neutralise stomach acid.

Woolley, I always regard you views with respect  but I am really not sure about  your chemistry:

I have always understood that  chlorine is used to kill microorganisms - which, as a halogen does very effectively, keeping us free from the water- borne diseases  suffered by those who have no alternative but to drink filthy water  in deprived parts of the world.

So I find a slight hint of chlorine somewhat reassuring.

Aluminium sulphate is used as a flocculation agent -it binds with organic debris to make it fall out of solution  and can be separated out as part if the filtering process.

The dreadful catastrophe   in Cornwall (almost exactly thirty years ago) and was down to  20 tons of the stuff being   put into the water  through monumental incompetence. It resulted  in some  people receiving over 3,000 times the permitted level.

Bearing in mind that gastric acid is 10% hydrochloric acid - a strong acid which is fully ionised  - (Human vomit can damage  varnishes),  I really  question the idea that tap water could be  be supplied in a state so alkaline that it could raise the pH  of gastric juice sufficiently to neutralise it.

If you look at the data about our tap water it is ,by any standards  truly excellent. It is safe and it is cheap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

I figured it out straight away. Obvious really x.

Course you did, thats why you repeated what nelly said! x

2 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

Course you did, thats why you repeated what nelly said! x

Glad you agree, so obvious after all x

19 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

We have a Britta filter jug for the fridge, a Britta filter kettle for tea and a SodaStream for fizzy water. It's all still tap water though 

Course you did moji! x

9 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Agreed, pretty obvious.

Not to nelly x