Dr Malcolm Couch resigns from DHSC

Burt

3 hours ago, Mr Shoe said:
16 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

He was worshipped as a deity in Treasury and credited with much of the IoM's taxation strategy success IIRC

Taxation strategy success? Like what?!

The VAT negotiations? The Film Industry? The race to the bottom (i.e. zero/10)? The Public Sector Pension Liability? Attrition (Dividends)? 

Which bits are his success?

I wonder how old he is? I actually have no idea, but I bet it's around 55.

You forgot the HNWI tax-cap which reduced the amount of tax that the wealthy were previously happy to pay while managing to attract few if any extra HNWIs.

Couch started his degree course in 1979 according to his Linkedin, so that would suggest he was born in 1960-61, so about 58-59.  (He actually spent very little time as a doctor after qualifying).

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You forgot the HNWI tax-cap which reduced the amount of tax that the wealthy were previously happy to pay while managing to attract few if any extra HNWIs.

Couch started his degree course in 1979 according to his Linkedin, so that would suggest he was born in 1960-61, so about 58-59.  (He actually spent very little time as a doctor after qualifying).

Was Couch involved in the instigation of the tax cap? 

If so that certainly puts a different spin on his later comments. 

11 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

Was Couch involved in the instigation of the tax cap? 

If so that certainly puts a different spin on his later comments. 

He became Assessor of Income Tax in 2004, having previous worked as a tax manager/consultant for various companies (so a poacher turned gamekeeper).  The tax cap was introduced in 2006, and that news report says 66 were claiming it, which is roughly what there were when it was brought in.  When figures went above that, it was mainly because it was being abused with people pooling income into one tax year.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

He became Assessor of Income Tax in 2004, having previous worked as a tax manager/consultant for various companies (so a poacher turned gamekeeper).  The tax cap was introduced in 2006, and that news report says 66 were claiming it, which is roughly what there were when it was brought in.  When figures went above that, it was mainly because it was being abused with people pooling income into one tax year.

Couch, Bell, M.Shimmin were all highly instrumental in making our economy the "success" it is today with their various get-rich-quick/no-longevity schemes. I'd also give a touch of blame to Teare but he wasn't really a player long enough to really take responsibility. Also, having met him, I doubt he knew what was going on.

1 minute ago, Mr Shoe said:

Also, having met him, I doubt he knew what was going on.

And it wasn't theoretically taxpayer's money anyway..... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2019 at 2:04 AM, Derek Flint said:

The DHSC needs a rock star CEO. Someone with the medical credibility, intelligence, capacity and charisma to take the staff with them.

Agree. There must be somebody out there with experience who has had success elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Bloody hell she looks worn out already and hasn’t even started the role.

They should send 50% of middle management and senior management on a cruise for a month and take note how no one missed them and things got done faster, then cut the cloth. 

It’s  a joke how the have a senior manager to manage a senior manager to manage a middle manager who manages a junior who manages front line services.  

A junior manager costs tax payer 48k a year.  Jobs creating jobs to sustain their own jobs.  Madness. Imagine how much all the middle and senior managers are costing us. 

10 minutes ago, MrPB said:

You really believe that when we’ve paid £100,000 or more to 20 people to leave their jobs in the last five years according to Chris Thomas 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/twenty-government-employees-have-received-100k-golden-goodbyes

That's over £2,000,000 to just push dispensable people out of jobs. 

Ah, but the ones who are left are utterly indispensable. And should be given a huge pay rise accordingly.

So they tell us.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MrPB said:

You really believe that when we’ve paid £100,000 or more to 20 people to leave their jobs in the last five years according to Chris Thomas 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/twenty-government-employees-have-received-100k-golden-goodbyes

That's over £2,000,000 to just push dispensable people out of jobs. 

I have no idea what grade Dr Couch was, but if you look at the corporate leadership group salaries, pay outs would top £100k for less than a year's salary

https://hr.gov.im/media/1042/cs-ntnsp-clg-2019.pdf

• Like 1