Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Burt

Dr Malcolm Couch resigns from DHSC

I doubt Couch will be leaving without a few quid in his pocket. That payment will amount to somewhere up  to 12months salary being the maximum under the MARS scheme

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Wake up

Nobody goes like that without a massive pay off

Ask about, you may be shocked

I won't be shocked at all Dilli - either in this case or others. The issue is not whether or not this individual got a 'pay off'. 

I try not to comment on the professional reputation of an any individual who has worked all his life to build that reputation and may well have family, mortgage whatever dependent upon it unless I know some facts. 

If an individual is shown to have sullied that reputation by the production of facts, then fine, I'll be first in line to call them out - but I won't do so on speculation and guesswork as you are doing.

That's all.

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I doubt Couch will be leaving without a few quid in his pocket. That payment will amount to somewhere up  to 12months salary being the maximum under the MARS scheme

He won’t have gone under MARS as MARS is a redundancy scheme and he hasn’t been made redundant. He will perhaps have had payments for loss of office and severance of contract etc. Quite possibly more than 12 months pay. 

22 minutes ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

He won’t have gone under MARS as MARS is a redundancy scheme and he hasn’t been made redundant. He will perhaps have had payments for loss of office and severance of contract etc. Quite possibly more than 12 months pay. 

No more than 12 months I reckon Cheesy. Remember this isn't the Fire Service!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

No more than 12 months I reckon Cheesy. Remember this isn't the Fire Service!

But the fire service mega payouts are on retirement. This isn’t retirement and it isn’t redundancy. It’s a whole different thing where payouts can be considerable and confidential.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

He was worshipped as a deity in Treasury and credited with much of the IoM's taxation strategy success IIRC

Taxation strategy success? Like what?!

The VAT negotiations? The Film Industry? The race to the bottom (i.e. zero/10)? The Public Sector Pension Liability? Attrition (Dividends)? 

Which bits are his success?

I wonder how old he is? I actually have no idea, but I bet it's around 55.

(@NB: I'm not saying that you're giving him credit - but you summed up Couch's totally undeserved reputation nicely)

6 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

The VAT negotiations? The Film Industry? The race to the bottom (i.e. zero/10)? The Public Sector Pension Liability? Attrition (Dividends)? 

(@NB: I'm not saying that you're giving him credit - but you summed up Couch's totally undeserved reputation nicely)

Maybe I should have left "success" out :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

But the fire service mega payouts are on retirement. This isn’t retirement and it isn’t redundancy. It’s a whole different thing where payouts can be considerable and confidential.  

I understand, and I agree,  I was just being facetious

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, dilligaf said:

Are you his agent ? Are you in the same profession?

More likely one and the same person...

3 hours ago, Mr Shoe said:
16 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

He was worshipped as a deity in Treasury and credited with much of the IoM's taxation strategy success IIRC

You forgot the HNWI tax-cap which reduced the amount of tax that the wealthy were previously happy to pay while managing to attract few if any extra HNWIs.

Couch started his degree course in 1979 according to his Linkedin, so that would suggest he was born in 1960-61, so about 58-59.  (He actually spent very little time as a doctor after qualifying).

4 hours ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

But the fire service mega payouts are on retirement.  

What payouts are these? Do you have a link?

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You forgot the HNWI tax-cap which reduced the amount of tax that the wealthy were previously happy to pay while managing to attract few if any extra HNWIs.

Couch started his degree course in 1979 according to his Linkedin, so that would suggest he was born in 1960-61, so about 58-59.  (He actually spent very little time as a doctor after qualifying).

Was Couch involved in the instigation of the tax cap? 

If so that certainly puts a different spin on his later comments. 

11 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

Was Couch involved in the instigation of the tax cap? 

If so that certainly puts a different spin on his later comments. 

He became Assessor of Income Tax in 2004, having previous worked as a tax manager/consultant for various companies (so a poacher turned gamekeeper).  The tax cap was introduced in 2006, and that news report says 66 were claiming it, which is roughly what there were when it was brought in.  When figures went above that, it was mainly because it was being abused with people pooling income into one tax year.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

He became Assessor of Income Tax in 2004, having previous worked as a tax manager/consultant for various companies (so a poacher turned gamekeeper).  The tax cap was introduced in 2006, and that news report says 66 were claiming it, which is roughly what there were when it was brought in.  When figures went above that, it was mainly because it was being abused with people pooling income into one tax year.

Couch, Bell, M.Shimmin were all highly instrumental in making our economy the "success" it is today with their various get-rich-quick/no-longevity schemes. I'd also give a touch of blame to Teare but he wasn't really a player long enough to really take responsibility. Also, having met him, I doubt he knew what was going on.

1 minute ago, Mr Shoe said:

Also, having met him, I doubt he knew what was going on.

And it wasn't theoretically taxpayer's money anyway..... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1