Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Burt

Dr Malcolm Couch resigns from DHSC

2 hours ago, MrPB said:

Surely the exit packages would have been sorted out for a week or two and this would have been planned for today by the Minister and his “PR” people? 

What “exit package”...they’ve resigned, not retired. There is no exit package.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Its my understanding that there is nearly always an exit package agreed via a confidential compromise agreement to avoid anyone going a bit rogue after the event and taking people to tribunals etc. I wondered whether the OP knew whether there was one of not. That was all. Just because the press release says they have resigned it does not necessarily mean that they have, in fact, resigned. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Just a long shot ................ MARS! 

Ive got the feeling that at least one of the two will make a return back to the civil service or the public payroll.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Its my understanding that there is nearly always an exit package agreed via a confidential compromise agreement to avoid anyone going a bit rogue after the event and taking people to tribunals etc. I wondered whether the OP knew whether there was one of not. That was all. Just because the press release says they have resigned it does not necessarily mean that they have, in fact, resigned. 

Wow - potential conspiracy. Perhaps Beecroft ask “Is there an exit package?”

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Wow - potential conspiracy. Perhaps Beecroft ask “Is there an exit package?”

I don’t want to create conspiracies but I’d say that’s normal practice for high profile leavers/exits (you never usually know which it is). There would be a thick confidentiality agreement though if that was the case so I doubt if it was true either party could disclose anything anyway so a question would likely be pointless. Onchan still don’t know what their clerk did or didn’t get and that’s over a year ago now. 

Edited by MrPB
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I don’t want to create conspiracies but I’d say that’s normal practice for high profile leavers/exits (you never usually know which it is). There would be a thick confidentiality agreement though if that was the case so I doubt if it was true either party could disclose anything anyway so a question would likely be pointless. Onchan still don’t know what their clerk did or didn’t get and that’s over a year ago now. 

If a Tynwald member asked Ashford “Did Mr. Couch leave with an exit package that is covered by a non-disclosure agreement” I accept absolutely that the nature of the package/terms of the agreement would not be disclosed, but surely Ashford would have to answer “yes” or “no” to the question as worded above. He couldn’t just shrug his shoulders and keep schtum.

Just now, Uhtred said:

If a Tynwald member asked Ashford “Did Mr. Couch leave with an exit package that is covered by a non-disclosure agreement” I accept absolutely that the nature of the package/terms of the agreement would not be disclosed, but surely Ashford would have to answer “yes” or “no” to the question as worded above. He couldn’t just shrug his shoulders and keep schtum.

That might be worth someone asking. Sometimes you can’t even disclose that an agreement was reached. I’d say from experience though that where more than one person go at the same time - there’s a high likelihood that an agreement been reached as a lid is being put on something that requires mutual protection. This is pure speculation though on my behalf. 

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

That might be worth someone asking. Sometimes you can’t even disclose that an agreement was reached. I’d say from experience though that where more than one person go at the same time - there’s a high likelihood that an agreement been reached as a lid is being put on something that requires mutual protection. This is pure speculation though on my behalf. 

Your comments are interesting though. The CEO departing would be high profile enough but both post holders choosing to resign on the same day multiplies the matter somewhat. Political probing seems likely. 

Reported on news today that sacked UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson will receive a severance package of over £18k.

It's not unusual at those levels. And IoM Govt has an outstanding record of generosity at pay off time....?

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Just a long shot ................ MARS! 

Ive got the feeling that at least one of the two will make a return back to the civil service or the public payroll.

Wasn’t/isn’t MARS a redundancy programme? If so, it wouldn’t apply. The word used is “resigned” and if the posts have been deemed redundant then they couldn’t be re-filled...which seems pretty unlikely. Unless of course the Michaels report is so dramatic that it’s proposing the complete dissolution of DHSC...and hence no need for a CEO and deputy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, english zloty said:

Nick Black could be parachuted in :shuriken:

I recommend someone sabotage his pack before he jumps. Allowing him to land safely will lead to a bigger mess to clear up, eventually.

30 minutes ago, MrPB said:

i'll tell you what the onchan clerk got,   a fucking big one up and fuck you to the cretins that tried to fuck him over. at the rate payers expense of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Reported on news today that sacked UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson will receive a severance package of over £18k.

It's not unusual at those levels. And IoM Govt has an outstanding record of generosity at pay off time....?

£18k. a manual worker would get more than that.

Even if you meant £180K, that would still fall way short of what these two would get.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

£18k. a manual worker would get more than that.

Even if you meant £180K, that would still fall way short of what these two would get.

Precisely what I was meaning Dilli :flowers:

• Like 2