Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrPB

Another strange court appearance

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

I'm familiar with her background. Basically, she was kicked out by her (adoptive) parents pretty much as soon as she was physically old enough, although mentally she's probably still in her early teens. As in so many similar cases, benefits now sustain her. She does it more for a laugh than for any other motive, and certainly without grasping the possible consequences of her actions.

On a slightly tangential note, have instances like this increased much over the last 40 years in your experience, given that mental health issues now - theoretically at least - are much less of a stigma? Or is it just that we hear about it more often now than we used to.

From my personal experience it was no different then than now. Maybe we were much more discrete. We didn’t read out the embarrassing bits of reports, I still don’t.

There were many as many defendants then who couldn’t read or write properly, who’s families and schools had failed them, who had emotional, behavioural, psychological problems. Likewise mental health issues.

For some prison was a revolving door. We had fewer community based penalties, no  suspended sentences, community service, supervision orders. No Anti Social Behaviour Orders. So, people end up in prison now much later in their careers.

Perhaps I come at this with a different perspective to most. I was involved in setting up Samaritans, Victim Support, LGBT counselling organisation, in my spare time, and I’ve sat as Social Security Appeal Chairman for nearly 20 years and as Chairman of The Mental Health Review Tribunal for the last 5, as well as being responsible for setting up the Court and Police Station Duty Advocate schemes. So I see these things from different sides.

And crimes change. 40 years ago no one could ring nuisance 999 calls from their home. They had to go to a call box. Less immediacy. More difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Thanks for the information about those reports.  According to the latest (unannounced) one from March, it's certainly a lot less crowded in the prison:

Part of the problem is that the the balance between the provision for Old Age patients and the rest is wrong - Glen Ward has free beds and some of its patients are awaiting discharge.  Which pretty bad planning when you consider that Manannan Court was only opened two years ago.  There are now plans to refurbish Grianagh Court (where they moved from) so that can be used for elderly and adolescent patients, presumably freeing up more space for others, but that will take a couple of years at least to sort out and you wonder why they couldn't have started the refurbishment as soon as it was vacant.

As usual there seems to be loads of money to spend on building shiny new buildings at great expense, but less enthusiasm for paying to actually run them.  There are clearly other problems with the unit as well, but they all seem to be exacerbated by the simple lack of beds.

It was designed to be flexible, so the divide between the two wards could be changed, with more allocated to elderly, or acute, as required.

My personal view is that there is inadequate accommodation, halfway, supported, community living, for patients to be moved on to and insufficient community support.

The current consultant is good. She tries to move patients to discharge as quickly as possible, but if they no longer require inpatient treatment, but aren’t ready for home just yet, and there isn’t anywhere for them to go that’s in between there are moral, ethical, and legal issues with keeping them in on section or discharging them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I suppose mental health care is better than it used to be...

“On the 4th of October 1821, another riot took place in Douglas headed by a man from Peel in woman’s costume”

So not that much has changed. 

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A relative by any chance ?

Have you not de-railed this thread enough with your pathetic antics so far? You’re now lowering yourself even further into the forum pity stakes just to create a pathetic opportunity to troll me for no real reason whatsoever. You really must have no life at all outside of the cheap kicks you seem to get on here trying to pretend you’re a big man who knows sooooo much ;)

1 minute ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

Have you not de-railed this thread enough with your pathetic antics so far? You’re now lowering yourself even further into the forum pity stakes just to create a pathetic opportunity to troll me for no real reason whatsoever. You really must have no life at all outside of the cheap kicks you seem to get on here trying to pretend you’re a big man who knows sooooo much ;)

So yes then. 

Your relative being a cross dresser, has no bearing on this thread either. Just saying like

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So yes then. 

Your relative being a cross dresser, has no bearing on this thread either. Just saying like

I thought the comments of JW and Roger Mexico above where really good. I also think this is a great thread discussing social support and mental health services in the IOM. It’s a shame a smug ignorant twat like you can only snipe and interject page after page with petty nonsense and smug nothingness just to troll anyone who expresses an opinion you don’t agree with, and then berate excellent posters like Roger Mexico for expressing their considered views which many found interesting. I’ll leave you to argue with yourself or pick on someone else by logging off. In your own head I’m sure you don’t think that most people here think you’re a complete tosser. 

Edited by Cheesy Wheezy

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

I thought the comments of JW and Roger Mexico above where really good. I also think this is a great thread discussing social support and mental health services in the IOM. It’s a shame a smug ignorant twat like you can only snipe and interject page after page with petty nonsense and smug nothingness just to troll anyone who expresses an opinion you don’t agree with, and then berate excellent posters like Roger Mexico for expressing their considered views which many found interesting. I’ll leave you to argue with yourself or pick on someone else by loggers no off. In your own head I’m sure you don’t think that most people here think you’re a complete tosser. 

If those posters know the answers to the problems, why don’t they do something other than beat their chests on a simple Internet forum.

Being clever and just looking clever are miles apart.

The hero worshipping is embarrassing. Grow a spine.

Edited by dilligaf

50 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The current consultant is good. She tries to move patients to discharge as quickly as possible, but if they no longer require inpatient treatment, but aren’t ready for home just yet, and there isn’t anywhere for them to go that’s in between there are moral, ethical, and legal issues with keeping them in on section or discharging them.

I’m my experience I don’t envy the job of the police. The few times I’ve been up in A & E it’s a madhouse and there are many people up there who have mental health or substance abuse issues who the police have to deal with when you’d expect a mental health team or drug and alcohol unit might be more appropriate than bouncing them round a van and locking them up. What do you think needs doing to change the issues you see? 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So yes then. 

I know I don't voice opinions on this forum very often, and very often my comments concern the wanna be comedians (it is a profession enjoyed by those qualified by the way) who post ludicrous, nasty, personal responses that usualy derail some of the most serious posts.

This miscreant is a prime example. Definately no natural sense of humour, just argumentative for the sake of it.

Whether you agree or not, there was a time when some serious comments made politicians/'important types' squirm a bit and brought about changes...not any more. Manx Forums has become a laughing stock, just to be ignored.

If I was a bit paranoid I might suggest the efforts by certain IOMG employees on here to destroy any credibility MF had has really paid off.

How long must this misuse/abuse contiue before someone says simply (sorry 'bout this)...fuck off you horses ass...just fuck off!

Edited by Sentience
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sentience said:

I know I don't voice opinions on this forum very often, and very often my comments concern the wanna be comedians (it is a profession) who post ludicrous responses that usualy derail some of the most serious posts.

This miscreant is a prime example. Definately no natural sense of humour, just argumentative for the sake of it.

How long must this misuse/abuse contiue before someone says simply (sorry 'bout this)...fuck off you horses ass...just fuck off!

Look on eBay for a sense of humour mate. Easy to acquire.

MF is not of any relevance in real life, it’s just somewhere to vent steam when annoyed, or to showboat ones self belief in being clever.

Why do people think anything posted on here actually matters ?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well flounce away then and leave the rest of us to it. Bye then. 

Another excellent thread ruined. Expect Downer be along in a minute. 

Edited by Gizo

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Look on eBay for a sense of humour mate. Easy to acquire.

MF is not of any relevance in real life, it’s just somewhere to vent steam when annoyed, or to showboat ones self belief in being clever.

That is, not probably, but definately the post that describes you even better than I tried to. Well done, living up to  form.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Some people like to discuss current affairs with people of different views I’m sure. If they want a fight or an argument I’m sure they could just get tanked up at the pub and have a good old brawl. Is this thread going to be like this all night as I tried to follow a few further down from this and they’re all the same. It’s pointless trying to follow anything to be honest. I thought a forum was all about differing views and debate.

Edited by MrPB
Spelling

Posted (edited)

Sadly there are the few, JW a prime  example, of those who try to to keep the conversation going in an educated informative way. An honest attempt to help.

Dilli......and then there's you.

Edited by Sentience