Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Ham_N_Eggs

Manx Care - Sir Jonathan Michaels Report

Recommended Posts

Are our politicians capable of doing "arm's length"?

Or does the need to be loved (and voted back in) override it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max you have mentioned the word that is bringing the death knell to our Island...negatively.   Every time anyone has an idea or tries to improve anything at all the whiners and moaners start.   No encouragement at all.    People just give up in the end trying new ideas or suggestions, and even the MHKs with the best intentions in the world get disillusioned.   All progress is aimed towards vanity projects the main issues are left alone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

 

It's possible but we would have to stop wasting money on being a living museum.

A living museum? How do you mean? Anything we do here such as heritage railways would not make even a slight dent in the health budget. We've had DHSC overspends and supplementary votes that eclipse the entire railway and bus budgets combined. Let us keep a sense of proportion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

One of the thungs that would ptevent me from standing is that I dont think the public are supporters of the shock and awe required. Id quite happy stand for one term and get the job at least underway, but I dont think folk would vote for someone pointing out the brutality of what would be required; swingeing public sector cuts, higher taxes, privatisation of some services and some recognisable austerity. 

 

What precisely would you do though, Derek? You mention higher taxes. Do you mean both corporate and personal? Would this not negate what is left of pretty much our only USP? Public sector cuts have been made to services, although the staff keeps on growing. Do you mean that you would cut jobs there? If so, to what extent? As has been said, turkeys do not vote for Christmas and there are an awful lot of turkeys out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is Manx Care?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, woolley said:

A living museum? How do you mean? Anything we do here such as heritage railways would not make even a slight dent in the health budget. We've had DHSC overspends and supplementary votes that eclipse the entire railway and bus budgets combined. Let us keep a sense of proportion.

Your being obtuse Woolley. The running costs of maintaining heritage relics as well as their capital costs would make a significant dent in the healthcare funding problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gladys said:

What is Manx Care?

 

A suggested delivery vehicle ( using civil/health service management speak)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, woolley said:

A living museum? How do you mean? Anything we do here such as heritage railways would not make even a slight dent in the health budget. We've had DHSC overspends and supplementary votes that eclipse the entire railway and bus budgets combined. Let us keep a sense of proportion.

However the sum of all the little bits and pieces they piss away on a regular basis, probably would make a dent, and a dent to some people who need the service could, on a personal basis be important !!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gladys said:

What is Manx Care?

 

It’s the label/provisional descriptive name of the entity that Michaels is suggesting as the “arms length” body that will be responsible for the delivery of healthcare, leaving DHSC responsible only for setting policy and strategy. In his report he explains why he considers this split desirable (and he’s right). “Manx Care” would be lead by a Board and although this would be appointed by government and approved by Tynwald it would be free from political/government control (don’t laugh) and would determine for itself how to deliver the healthcare priorities and services set by DHSC. So DHSC would be the “client” and Manx Care would be the “provider”. Of course all the resources currently delivering our healthcare, would be the substance of Manx Care. It’s the leadership body that would be new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

It’s the label/provisional descriptive name of the entity that Michaels is suggesting as the “arms length” body that will be responsible for the delivery of healthcare, leaving DHSC responsible only for setting policy and strategy. In his report he explains why he considers this split desirable (and he’s right). “Manx Care” would be lead by a Board and although this would be appointed by government and approved by Tynwald it would be free from political/government control (don’t laugh) and would determine for itself how to deliver the healthcare priorities and services set by DHSC. So DHSC would be the “client” and Manx Care would be the “provider”. Of course all the resources currently delivering our healthcare, would be the substance of Manx Care. It’s the leadership body that would be new.

and the problem is finding the right people to run it. I doubt that they are already on the Island and unless you pay mega bucks you will only get UK cast off managers and administrators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see from MR News that a PAC report into hospital budget overspends now also rips into hospital management and lack of leadership; the "copy and paste" incident labelled a "farce" as well.

No wonder some people walked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Public Accounts Committee have now waded into this with similar conclusions and comments. I find it strange that they parrot similar phrases to the Michaels Report. On the whole the PAC are toothless and wholely ineffective. Every year at Budget time is the DHSC mantra for more money for the overspend. The DHSC should have been forced to make unpopular decisions. Job cuts and service delivery cuts in non essential areas. Treasury are weak and so are other areas of Government for indulging DHSC and letting this problem to fester. Zero Leadership at Civil Service Level and even less leadership by the likes of Cannan, HRH The Chief Minister, Beecroft and Ashford. Yes Men, bag carriers and quite frankly pathetic jokers who have done the island disservice and no favours.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/pac-report-slams-hospital-leadership/

Edited by 2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Public Accounts Committee have now waded into this with similar conclusions and comments. I find it strange that they parrot similar phrases to the Michaels Report. On the whole the PAC are toothless and wholely ineffective. Every year at Budget time is the DHSC mantra for more money for the overspend. The DHSC should have been forced to make unpopular decisions. Job cuts and service delivery cuts in non essential areas. Treasury are weak and so are other areas of Government for indulging DHSC and letting this problem to fester. Zero Leadership at Civil Service Level and even less leadership by the likes of Cannan, HRH The Chief Minister, Beecroft and Ashford. Yes Men, bag carriers and quite frankly pathetic jokers who have done the island disservice and no favours.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/pac-report-slams-hospital-leadership/

Agreed. The public need to accept that in order to get the best care where it is really needed then there may have to  be a no frills approach. Remember the uproar at the change of the taxi transfer company? that saved a 6 figure sum yet many people, some who use this forum, considered it an outrage. It was a taxi firm for FFS! but it exemplifies some of the problems associated with change.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

there may have to  be a no frills approach.

It needed to be instigated pan-Govt after the VAT review 10 years ago. That it wasn't and people were pandered to in the name of political expediency is now starting to bite. DHSC is symptomatic of the whole situation.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

and the problem is finding the right people to run it. I doubt that they are already on the Island and unless you pay mega bucks you will only get UK cast off managers and administrators. 

Which is partially the point I made earlier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...