Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Neil Down

HORSE TRAMS

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

It would certainly not be cheap but I doubt it would be “hundreds of millions”

It is costing £20m to rebuild less than two miles of road on the prom. Imagine the costs on 25ish miles of railway track including the odd bridge or two. Under the management of the DOI. Hundreds of millions is being generous.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It is costing £20m to rebuild less than two miles of road on the prom. Imagine the costs on 25ish miles of railway track including the odd bridge or two. Under the management of the DOI. Hundreds of millions is being generous.

Doesn’t that £20m factor in multiple laying tarmac and digging back up again just because some fucknugget wants the horse trams running

ETA - If you let the Dept of Idiots have anything to do with it then you would still be way out. Figure would be nearer the billion mark

Edited by Neil Down

Posted (edited)

We do like extremes around here don't we? We've got one geezer who wants to scrap everything that is extant now and others who want to reinstate the north and west lines. Foxdale anyone?

Edited by woolley

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

We do like extremes around here don't we? We've got one geezer who wants to scrap everything that is extant now and others who want to reinstate the north and west lines. Foxdale anyone?

The impossible dream...

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

The impossible dream...

A bridge too far

Just now, dilligaf said:

A bridge too far

Gives us something to talk about on a Saturday night when telly is shite...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I get the appeal of hospital equipment of course. Who wouldn't?

We should only buy heritage hospital equipment, buy up all the old stuff no one wants (for a pretty penny mind),  then run the hospital as an extra attraction for old paedos should they get over excited by the horse trams,  choo choo trains and fat old mean in leather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieBrown said:

We should only buy heritage hospital equipment, buy up all the old stuff no one wants (for a pretty penny mind),  then run the hospital as an extra attraction for old paedos should they get over excited by the horse trams,  choo choo trains and fat old mean in leather.

You are top of the list then

54 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It’ll be the only name on the list”

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I agree we would be looking at hundreds of millions in that scenario easily. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree we would be looking at hundreds of millions in that scenario easily. 

At least loose chippings wouldn't be a problem :D

Edited by asitis
  • Haha 1

Just a quick one, can someone check the railway timetable on their phone because on my phone the timetables “don’t fit” the screen. So I get half a timetable!

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You trying to give me a reference? I am quite tasty at pool mind.

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I think it was quoted as being £2M per mile when it was previously discussed somewhere. I don't know if that included infrastructure such as bridges though. Then you've got the upkeep after the build. 15 miles-ish Ramsey to Peel, then another 10 miles-ish Peel to Douglas.

How far is the existing Douglas to PE stretch that loses Lord knows how much each year?

Bad enough how much was paid to Liverpool Council for these rails they decided not to use after a future tram service was scrapped, strange how other buyers of the rest of the track purchased it much cheaper?