Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Albert Tatlock

Chief minister declares climate emergency

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

The Lardy CM, Harmer, Cregeen and coming-up-fast-on-the-rails Boot, are in a four-way "celebrity" head-to-head to establish just who is the thickest, least well informed, COMIN member. My money remains on the Blimp of Middle, but the others are doing a creditable job in attempting to unseat him.

(Reflecting on the fact that the quartet above represents 50% of COMIN, do you all feel as queasy as I do?).

Makes you want to vomit!

Mind you the other 50% of COMIN are hardly founding members of the Manx Brains Trust..

HRH The Chief Minister needs to shut his mouth permanently. Every time he opens his trap, he succeeds in making the IOM look idiots. His verbal diarrhoea pollutes the environment even more than his farts after a Chamber of Commerce dinner.

After all HRHs bullshit and environmental mantra especially banning gas and oil boilers - I’m sure he and the other wasters will receive a warm welcome st the Manx Gas TT Tent? Incidentally it’s going to be fun watching 1 TT class on zero emissions race for 1 lap. We can’t be hypocrites can we, banning petrol/diesels vehicles and yet accepting fossil fuelled vehicles? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It looks as though we have decided not to take the lead in the declared emergency?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-has-chosen-not-to-lead-on-the-climate-emergency/?fbclid=IwAR2tXgN2sSBTTcEDkntCUjKWRnCjdfRM2_4HB5Y6gG7HcMSUYngeZoYhypc

To be fair, could we afford the luxury of being pioneers when we don't have access to the latest thinking on climate change? We really should take our lead from larger jurisdictions which can afford to test solutions prior to adoption!

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

It looks as though we have decided not to take the lead in the declared emergency?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-has-chosen-not-to-lead-on-the-climate-emergency/?fbclid=IwAR2tXgN2sSBTTcEDkntCUjKWRnCjdfRM2_4HB5Y6gG7HcMSUYngeZoYhypc

To be fair, could we afford the luxury of being pioneers when we don't have access to the latest thinking on climate change? We really should take our lead from larger jurisdictions which can afford to test solutions prior to adoption!

No,

Most people would say “Isle of Where”?

Posted (edited)

I like and am proud of our current Isle of Smog.

The thick fumes and blinding soot experienced without fail on a daily basis stop the neighbours peering in through me windows. Bandwagon Bill Henderson's even claiming pictures of it online.

And it's far healthier - who wants to walk down the gut rotting pub through that lot? Much healthier to be housebound.

I give the car a good revving now and again outside the house just to do my bit. Extra oil in anything 2-stroke helps a lot too.

And when I shrug off me mortal coil through respiratory disease, I'll be one less mouth on the planet to feed. What's not to like?

A total load of bollocks is what it is.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

I nominate  this weeks  Dianne Abbott award for detail and numeracy to   DEFA minister, Mr Boot, on Manx Radio who has been telling us about how an Off-  shore wind  farm within the twelve mile limit will answer our energy needs and “make us money”. 

He was unable answer the question of how many turbines this would require  but followed up by saying it would be “800 megawatts “ , briefly hesitated before throwing in “Giga watts” for good measure.

No doubt someone has reminded him that 800 mega watts is  800 million watts and 800 giga watts is 800 thousand million ( ie 800 billion)  watts.

Given all the fuss about renewables and green energy, as a minister, boot should know exactly what the island would need, and that he doesn't/can't explain exactly speaks volumes.

Based on 6MW turbines operating at 25% capacity, the island would need 28 of them to meet the annual electricity demand of around 360GWh.

But of course, that's only theoretical as  there would be delivery issues when wind not blowing, and also because I may have completely fucked up my calculation !! Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could confirm or otherwise.

And around a cost of €400m based on average cost of €2.4m per MW (× 6 x 28) installed offshore wind turbine. See here...

https://www.windpoweroffshore.com/article/1525362/europes-offshore-wind-costs-falling-steeply

Edited by b4mbi
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, Non-Believer said:

Undoubtedly. But the environmentalists don't see it like that either? Loss of habitat and in some cases complete species. It's always going to be a balancing act on attack from all sides.

Loss of habitat and species upsetting the biosphere balance and food chain may well be the bigger issue than "climate change" when it comes to existential threats to humanity. We are our own greatest threat with our burgeoning ubiquity and domination of the planet.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:43 PM, Declan said:

That’s such a ridiculous argument. Every community is a tiny fraction of the whole. 

What’s the point of Smallville, Kentucky doing anything it’s far less than 1% of America CO2 and America is only 15% of the whole. 

Or  a factory in Shanghai when there’s a thousand other factories in its province and China as whole is responsible for just 28%. 

And when you think about it we’re all just one person amongst billions so why bother, individually we’ll not make a difference. 

How has mankind achieved anything - eradicate smallpox, beat Hitler, built civilizations ? It’s not by going “I’d like to help but realistically what difference would I make? See if China can help there’s loads of them.”

On 5/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, Butterflies said:

This makes no sense. So until the whole world stops emitting carbon, you CBA? Thankfully there are other people around who can see that everyone has a part to play. Individually we are small but together we are stronger. GD4XXX, planting trees to reduce carbon is something that is being pushed. Not by our CM though. Not yet anyway.  Adding a requirements for tree planting into the free money for rich landowners  (AKA countryside care) scheme is a very good idea. suggest people emails their MHKs if they agree.

Once again I respectfully recommend to you the thread:

.........where we had a discussion going on the subject. Without the frenzied local politics angle it only garnered about a dozen contributions apart from my own. If you really think that the Island can make a difference on this WHATEVER it does then please watch the programme linked there, Supersized Earth. It was made in 2012 and since then developments around the world have only got bigger and more ambitious. All of these are rich in carbon emission profile. If you would watch those programmes, please then come back and assert that you still believe the Island can make a difference.

More and more people. More and more development. More and more economic growth. It is all resource hungry on a voracious scale. I have been in several European Airports these past few days. Packed to the gunwales with people flying all over the world for business and leisure. More and more flights. More and more runways to accommodate them. None of those happy people that I saw looked like they were about to compromise on this lifestyle any time soon. Not a bit of it. They want more. More gadgetry, more travel, more consumer goods and therefore more money, necessitating yet more growth. It's a vicious cycle and not one that anybody is going to forsake. There are no votes in telling people they can't have stuff or do stuff. There are no taxes in it either. Much better to let them carry on and tax them accordingly.

I don't know whether climate change will be the end of mankind. Nobody does. I do hazard a guess that even if it is possible to do so, he will do nothing about it until he is up to his ankles in water - he won't care if somebody else is, he'll still be collecting his airmiles and looking forward to his next holiday.

Back to 1990 emissions levels? Dream on. There is only one direction this baby is going, and that's UP!

• Like 4

One easy way to improve things would be to plant a few thousand trees. Unlikely to make a difference in the big scheme of things, but probably more than other countries would do per head of population.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, manxy said:

One easy way to improve things would be to plant a few thousand trees. Unlikely to make a difference in the big scheme of things, but probably more than other countries would do per head of population.

Agree, plant not chop down

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Agree, plant not chop down

Anybody told the MUA.....? They're about to drop a few at the contentious demolition site as well..?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Charge 50p for one use plastic bags, charge a tax of 50p on bottles of water.   There is nothing wrong with our drinking water, get a proper bottle and fill it up, there are more and more establishments providing a bottle fill service, free.   When I was young people did not wander around with bottles in their hands it is ridiculous.   If these nob heads want to posture with plastic bottles charge them they must be stinking rich to afford to buy them as well as paying the exorbitant toilet tax/water rate.

• Thanks 2

On 5/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, Uhtred said:

The Lardy CM, Harmer, Cregeen and coming-up-fast-on-the-rails Boot, are in a four-way "celebrity" head-to-head to establish just who is the thickest, least well informed, COMIN member. My money remains on the Blimp of Middle, but the others are doing a creditable job in attempting to unseat him.

Now that really is a hotly contested field......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, manxy said:

You can help

https://www.manxwt.org.uk/what-we-do/ramsey-forest

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Two in one post

I heard that the IOM Post Office Head(?) is flying to Guernsey because they think that their terms and conditions with employees are better.

Guernsey however, have tried that system and it failed but......

The Guernsey Post Office Head(?) is flying to the Isle of Man because they think ours is better? 

What the ????

Can't they just write a letter to each other instead of flying to each others place?

Edited by manxy
  • Haha 2