Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Albert Tatlock

Chief minister declares climate emergency

Be interesting to see how any new energy/climate policies square with the no speed limits / gas guzzling TT  policies over the coming months /years .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, emesde said:

Be interesting to see how any new energy/climate policies square with the no speed limits / gas guzzling TT  policies over the coming months /years .

I honestly can’t see how the TT is compatible with any clean energy or climate change policy. I’m also confused as to how I stop myself from freezing to death next winter if all of a sudden we’re banning fossil fuels. The whole thing is just jumping on the band wagon after a similar announcement by Jersey the other week and a load of school kids getting in the papers protesting. 

• Like 3

Gas guzzling TT? 100,000 vehicles unable to travel while 90 bikes race round. Sounds far more environmentally productive to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I honestly can’t see how the TT is compatible with any clean energy or climate change policy.

It's not. If it was, the emphasis would be on improving fuel economy and sustainability. Development, which is what the TT was originally aimed at. Not 1000cc computer-and-racetrack developed bikes doing 200mph and 12mpg. The TT is purely based on getting people over here to part with their money.

Same with the TT Zero electrics. Just turned into a relentless one lap pursuit of speed with two totally unattainable multi-million £ bikes leaving the rest trailing.

The organisers should be pushing for extended battery life - make them do 2 laps, no battery change allowed. Get manufacturers thinking.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 1

Me and a mate were going to buy a couple 20 odd years ago to run in ramsey Fri and sat nights but we couldn't keep out of the pub long enough to make it a reality.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Solar + wind. Reward is ~ 5 x energy input.

I think you are bit out with your ratios, we have already looked into them and dismissed them mainly on kwh unit cost.

Edited by finlo

9 hours ago, Sentience said:

In the Manx Radio news item the CM said something about himself being a 'bit' naive about the response HE expected from the iomg's consultation document.

Boy what an understatement!

Also he talked about future legislation that would ban all fossil fuels being used for home heating. ER....what's left, because Gas is a fossil fuel, oil is and electricity is generated by coal, oil or gas, all fossil fuels!

So do they intend to invest the neccessary millions into solar, wind or wave power.....I don't think so.

Be interesting to see what alternative solutions their 'think tank' (sic) comes up with in the meantime.

Green stealth charges - just wait & see

49 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Gas guzzling TT? 100,000 vehicles unable to travel while 90 bikes race round. Sounds far more environmentally productive to me.

Someone will give you a medal for that Albert

9 hours ago, Sentience said:

In the Manx Radio news item the CM said something about himself being a 'bit' naive about the response HE expected from the iomg's consultation document.

Boy what an understatement!

Also he talked about future legislation that would ban all fossil fuels being used for home heating. ER....what's left, because Gas is a fossil fuel, oil is and electricity is generated by coal, oil or gas, all fossil fuels!

So do they intend to invest the neccessary millions into solar, wind or wave power.....I don't think so.

Be interesting to see what alternative solutions their 'think tank' (sic) comes up with in the meantime.

I think that they are digging themselves into a big hole with some of these statements they are making to appease the kids. I'm sure that Howard thinks he's giving the Manx version of JFK's 'we shall go to the Moon before the decade is out' speech, driving the island's top brains to come up with solutions which the rest of the world can't!

• Like 2

"We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained .....

....we can sell kittens on a world wide interweb of connected electric stuff in massive numbers"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But lots of those “100,000” vehicles WILL be travelling further using more fuel to go the longer way around or sitting in queues blowing out even more smook,:flowers:

• Like 2

The world needs to reduce the population of humans by about 66%.

A massive pandemic would be handy. 

We could start with Tynwald initially but who woukd you choose to survive? 

19 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The world needs to reduce the population of humans by about 66%.

A massive pandemic would be handy. 

We could start with Tynwald initially but who woukd you choose to survive? 

Actually it's much closer to 90%.

My wife says I'm one in a million so I should be ok.

• Haha 2