Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Albert Tatlock

Chief minister declares climate emergency

11 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

Burning fossil fuels does increase the CO2 levels in the air of a closed room. In the wider world, however, the increase in C02 due to fossil fuel burning is balanced by its removal by plants, trees, shrubs, woods and rain forests. Surely that's obvious? Or are you trolling me?

But we're also cutting down rain forests. 

So it's like we've turned on all the gaslamps and boarded up the windows. 

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

So, is Howard going to plant a rain forest on his land?

No space. Already full of Money Trees with low-hanging taxpayer fruit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Declan said:

But we're also cutting down rain forests. 

So it's like we've turned on all the gaslamps and boarded up the windows. 

Yeah, and the only thing that can reverse the process, we are told, is higher taxes. No money to be made  from planting more trees (the simplest and most effective solution).

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

So what percentage is the Isle of Man? What a load of bollox.

image.png

Edited by woolley
I doubled global emissions by accident.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Now, now. What about all the carbon dioxide that will be emitted once our politicians see your post and have their highly inflated ego bubbles burst. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

So what percentage is the Isle of Man? What a load of bollox.

image.png

That’s such a ridiculous argument. Every community is a tiny fraction of the whole. 

What’s the point of Smallville, Kentucky doing anything it’s far less than 1% of America CO2 and America is only 15% of the whole. 

Or  a factory in Shanghai when there’s a thousand other factories in its province and China as whole is responsible for just 28%. 

And when you think about it we’re all just one person amongst billions so why bother, individually we’ll not make a difference. 

How has mankind achieved anything - eradicate smallpox, beat Hitler, built civilizations ? It’s not by going “I’d like to help but realistically what difference would I make? See if China can help there’s loads of them.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

would he get a grant for that as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Damn @paswt beat me to the reply LOL !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Here, we need to move away from the present "Countryside Care Scheme" which rewards manicured land trimmed to hell, and refocus grants towards food production but also rewilding some of the landscape and making space for nature, tree planting being just one aspect of a needed re focus !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

That’s such a ridiculous argument. Every community is a tiny fraction of the whole. 

What’s the point of Smallville, Kentucky doing anything it’s far less than 1% of America CO2 and America is only 15% of the whole. 

Or  a factory in Shanghai when there’s a thousand other factories in its province and China as whole is responsible for just 28%. 

And when you think about it we’re all just one person amongst billions so why bother, individually we’ll not make a difference. 

How has mankind achieved anything - eradicate smallpox, beat Hitler, built civilizations ? It’s not by going “I’d like to help but realistically what difference would I make? See if China can help there’s loads of them.”

Don't agree that there is a parallel. We could go hugely negative on CO2 emissions. We could emit a thousand times the amount of oxygen that we currently do of CO2 and it would still make no difference. Like pissing up Niagara Falls. Unless Niagara stops you won't even notice. Sorry, Declan. I'd like to help but it's a total waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Max Power said:

yes......when they get the grant through!

oops, just read the other posts.:ermm:

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think a major step forward in dealing with this and many other issues is simply for the rest of us to declare a Chief Minister emergency.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, asitis said:

Here, we need to move away from the present "Countryside Care Scheme" which rewards manicured land trimmed to hell

You wish :lol: You mean the Countryside Care Scheme which transfers large amounts into the accounts of those fortunate enough to own tracts of land for no compunction to do much with it at all in return?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4