Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Albert Tatlock

Chief minister declares climate emergency

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

CM could lead by example and hold both his after di

nner wind and absolutely meaningless rhetoric in.....hey....it's a fart....sorry start!!

 

Edited by Sentience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sentience said:

CM could lead by example and hold both his after di

nner wind and absolutely meaningless rhetoric in.....hey....it's a fart....sorry start!!

 

He might as well declare a paedo apocalypse as it would have just as much  probability of happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Raising taxes on fuel and phasing out oil and gas is only approaching this non-existent problem from entirely the wrong direction. Those of us of a certain age will remember the slogan, "plant a tree in '73"- but why only in 1973? Shouldn't they have repeated the tree-planting mantra over and over EVERY year, and be STILL repeating it to this day? The reason why they didn't proceed with this is because this simple, common-sense solution didn't enable them to raise taxes. It didn't provide a plausible excuse for doing so. Politicians have extremely limited imaginations. They're so lazy and incompetent that fiddling with tax rates and 'banning things'- is invariably all they come up with. PATHETIC. No vision at all. :(

Edited by GD4XXX
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that raising taxes on things does is to ration them by wealth. Those that can afford them will carry on and those that can't will be priced out.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

You wish :lol: You mean the Countryside Care Scheme which transfers large amounts into the accounts of those fortunate enough to own tracts of land for no compunction to do much with it at all in return?

What do fat cats do with all their wealth?

Buy big fuck off cars and go on big fuck off holidays in big fuck off jets or big fuck off cruise liners etc.

(over use of the phrase 'fuck off' but hey)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, woolley said:

Don't agree that there is a parallel. We could go hugely negative on CO2 emissions. We could emit a thousand times the amount of oxygen that we currently do of CO2 and it would still make no difference. Like pissing up Niagara Falls. Unless Niagara stops you won't even notice. Sorry, Declan. I'd like to help but it's a total waste of time.

This makes no sense. So until the whole world stops emitting carbon, you CBA? Thankfully there are other people around who can see that everyone has a part to play. Individually we are small but together we are stronger. GD4XXX, planting trees to reduce carbon is something that is being pushed. Not by our CM though. Not yet anyway.  Adding a requirements for tree planting into the free money for rich landowners  (AKA countryside care) scheme is a very good idea. suggest people emails their MHKs if they agree.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see daft Daphne has leapt onto the bandwagon and is now claiming all the credit for this climate change saga, even got to say her bit on MR this morning, at least it keeps the goats and the wallabies safe for the minute.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Butterflies said:

This makes no sense. So until the whole world stops emitting carbon, you CBA? Thankfully there are other people around who can see that everyone has a part to play. Individually we are small but together we are stronger. GD4XXX, planting trees to reduce carbon is something that is being pushed. Not by our CM though. Not yet anyway.  Adding a requirements for tree planting into the free money for rich landowners  (AKA countryside care) scheme is a very good idea. suggest people emails their MHKs if they agree.

I think that what wooley is trying to get across is that there are huge contributors to our CO2 output and that nibbling around the edges, whilst allowing industrial output in some places to run amok is hardly going to gain support from the population of the likes of here! 

47 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I see daft Daphne has leapt onto the bandwagon and is now claiming all the credit for this climate change saga, even got to say her bit on MR this morning, at least it keeps the goats and the wallabies safe for the minute.

As long as they keep their flatulence under control!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing we can do here can ever register on anyone's scale of going green and helping so called global warming/climate change.

How is that hard to understand ?

 All this "we all have to do our bit" is bollocks.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Nothing we can do here can ever register on anyone's scale of going green and helping so called global warming/climate change.

How is that hard to understand ?

 All this "we all have to do our bit" is bollocks.

Enjoy your £5 an hour to run electric boiler when the time comes!

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, finlo said:

Enjoy your £5 an hour to run electric boiler when the time comes!

You are PGW, gimme my £5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, finlo said:

Enjoy your £5 an hour to run electric boiler when the time comes!

Which will have F-All to do with the environment and the planet and everything to do with the MUA debt.

How many thousands of houses on the Island will continue to be heated with oil or gas (including the ones being built right now and up to 20-whatever it is year)? And can we have a headcount on coal and log fires and woodstoves as well?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are PGW, gimme my £5

Well they are trying to force us down the electric heating route and the average heating boiler is 30kw, 30x 16ppu =£4.60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Well they are trying to force us down the electric heating route and the average heating boiler is 30kw, 30x 16ppu =£4.60.

Are they though ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Are they though ?

If the fitting of electric heating during construction becomes compulsory then yes, for anybody buying an affected new-build from the implementation date.

But Dandara will have covered the whole Island with gas-fired new builds by then so it won't be an issue. :lol:

Edited by Non-Believer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...