Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gagster

TT radio service 2019

58 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Oh

I heard the same question asked on Talkkng Heads to the same person 

Caller on the programme today made various points about TT coverage, presenter said very little...

In short, the Department for Enterprise have interfered. Under the pretence of ‘tendering’ the service, which never actually happened, they have stopped MR from selling advertising and have called the shots on the content and mix of programmes. So, gone are the Morning Chat Show, including the Police and the Religious slot, the Afternoon Interviews. It remains to be seen what the Race Day coverage will look like.

The DfE are paying MR much more than in past years, as MR need to replace the lost advertising income. 

Elsewhere, Rob Collister, who has political responsibility for all this, has been whining about paying more, and getting less.........

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Oh

I heard the same question asked on Talkkng Heads to the same person 

Caller on the programme today made various points about TT coverage, presenter said very little...

You gave her the right answer too.

I don't know why everything has to change. Maybe change for changes sake ?

Nice to hear some new callers though, esp. "Alan", seems a knowledgeable chap :)

Edit to add, I thought your "you did" quip to Quirky was funny.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

Shame the morning show went. Used to be useful from a police perspective s you could feed in a useful sound-bite and they would use it all day.

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

In short, the Department for Enterprise have interfered. Under the pretence of ‘tendering’ the service, which never actually happened, they have stopped MR from selling advertising and have called the shots on the content and mix of programmes. So, gone are the Morning Chat Show, including the Police and the Religious slot, the Afternoon Interviews. It remains to be seen what the Race Day coverage will look like.

The DfE are paying MR much more than in past years, as MR need to replace the lost advertising income. 

Elsewhere, Rob Collister, who has political responsibility for all this, has been whining about paying more, and getting less.........

Not exactly correct. My understanding is that the Dept were ready to tender, MR stamped their feet and Govt backed down in going through with a tender process. 

I suspect the level of coverage has more to do with the amount of money MR wanted, above the subvention, to continue to provide the past level of programming. What we now have is the coverage that DfE could afford, without MR ruining it, as they do with their normal service, with repetitive and mind-numbing advertisements. Every year I cringed at Manx Radio TT and their presumption that everyone who owns a motorcycle is a greaser that loves rock music. I think the last time they surveyed the preferences of their TT customers was about 1973. In my opinion the race commentary is excellent and Chris Kinley is a real asset. Most of the other Manx Radio TT content was pretty average, at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

In short, the Department for Enterprise have interfered.

It’s clear that everything they interfere with leaves the IOM seriously diminished in some way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

I think the last time they surveyed the preferences of their TT customers was about 1973. In my opinion the race commentary is excellent and Chris Kinley is a real asset. Most of the other Manx Radio TT content was pretty average, at best.

No it was done again when the Brindley Administration took power and the music was tweaked to a more modern and less hard rock format.

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

In short, the Department for Enterprise have interfered.

The DfE need interfering with. With some P45s.

• Like 1

I guess we Manx don't like change......

We are paying more than we have paid previously for the service, but as a Manx Radio member of staff pointed out the other day, they are delivering the service that DfE Motorsport has requested, which is a valid point. 

Radio TT is still on air from 9.30am each day, and yes we have lost the morning show, but this has been replaced with a couple of afternoon slots ahead of practice/ racing sessions....

In respect of the racing commentary, there are less adverts and music, but more focus on the actual events around the course. 

This is something new, so there will be some elements that locals and TT fans will not like, so feel free to email me (rob.callister@gov.im) with any constructive feedback, which will be reviewed ahead of next year’s event. 

51 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

I guess that often the public just don't like your departments version of change. Which tends to be to make things worse by over managing everything to keep people in jobs seemingly doing very little but basking in the glory of another failed idea. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

Rob, You are completely wrong. This is nothing to do with not liking change. It is simply frustration and annoyance that your Department (and wider Government) can't resist in interfering, and meddling, in things and then delivering inferior results. By your own admission, the Department is paying a lot more and receiving a lot less. In the 'real world' leaders or who deliver this type of outcome would, at the very least, be under a lot of pressure to up their game, or be out of a job. Remember, this all kicked off under the pretense that you have to go to tender, to ensure value for money. I don't think most people have a problem with that. However, for reasons which you haven't explained, this did not happen, and you've ended up negotiating  what is clearly a commercially disastrous transaction.

Yes, there are fewer adverts, but the ones we have are repetitive, tedious and largely irrelevant to most of the audience.  (SES, Monster, RL360, Locate.IM). And, I'm certainly looking forward to 'The Feeling' gig tomorrow, not because I'm going, but because the endless ads, and playing of their records, will stop.

Against this backdrop, you have deprived small/medium local advertisers of a platform to access the TT audience - local eateries, garages, motor suppliers etc. I've also noticed that the 'What's On' guide only includes your partner events. This is  the sort of thing that happens in North Korea.

All round, it's a complete cock-up, and political ownership sits on your desk. It's simply not good enough to say 'we welcome constructive feedback'..................

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

We are paying more than we have paid previously for the service, but as a Manx Radio member of staff pointed out the other day, they are delivering the service that DfE Motorsport has requested, which is a valid point. 

Radio TT is still on air from 9.30am each day, and yes we have lost the morning show, but this has been replaced with a couple of afternoon slots ahead of practice/ racing sessions....

In respect of the racing commentary, there are less adverts and music, but more focus on the actual events around the course. 

This is something new, so there will be some elements that locals and TT fans will not like, so feel free to email me (rob.callister@gov.im) with any constructive feedback, which will be reviewed ahead of next year’s event. 

Rob, please can you explain how you reached your £3m figure in lost revenue? Bonus points if you show your calculations. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, joebean said:

I suspect the level of coverage has more to do with the amount of money MR wanted, above the subvention, to continue to provide the past level of programming. What we now have is the coverage that DfE could afford, without MR ruining it, as they do with their normal service, with repetitive and mind-numbing advertisements. Every year I cringed at Manx Radio TT and their presumption that everyone who owns a motorcycle is a greaser that loves rock music. I think the last time they surveyed the preferences of their TT customers was about 1973. In my opinion the race commentary is excellent and Chris Kinley is a real asset. Most of the other Manx Radio TT content was pretty average, at best.

Agree completely, I would add that Roy Moore brings a taste of TTs gone by and is also an asset to the commentary. I wondered if this was all part of a wider political game to bring a bloated Manx Radio into line? Asking for additional money after their near £1m subvention to host the TT was pretty disgusting in my book. Their advertising revenue alone should more than pay for the TT programming? They could lose their chairman and their managing director for what they contribute to the thing and save a few hundred thousand. I'm sure a modern radio station can run much more efficiently than Manx Radio? What MR don't seem to realise is that without the government contracts, nobody would bother listening to their inane broadcasting and without Radio TT, they are superfluous to the TT experience!    

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

Rob, You are completely wrong. This is nothing to do with not liking change. It is simply frustration and annoyance that your Department (and wider Government) can't resist in interfering, and meddling, in things and then delivering inferior results. By your own admission, the Department is paying a lot more and receiving a lot less. In the 'real world' leaders or who deliver this type of outcome would, at the very least, be under a lot of pressure to up their game, or be out of a job. Remember, this all kicked off under the pretense that you have to go to tender, to ensure value for money. I don't think most people have a problem with that. However, for reasons which you haven't explained, this did not happen, and you've ended up negotiating  what is clearly a commercially disastrous transaction.

Yes, there are fewer adverts, but the ones we have are repetitive, tedious and largely irrelevant to most of the audience.  (SES, Monster, RL360, Locate.IM). And, I'm certainly looking forward to 'The Feeling' gig tomorrow, not because I'm going, but because the endless ads, and playing of their records, will stop.

Against this backdrop, you have deprived small/medium local advertisers of a platform to access the TT audience - local eateries, garages, motor suppliers etc. I've also noticed that the 'What's On' guide only includes your partner events. This is  the sort of thing that happens in North Korea.

All round, it's a complete cock-up, and political ownership sits on your desk. It's simply not good enough to say 'we welcome constructive feedback'..................

I can agree here too, it's six of one and half a dozen of another. In some vague attempt to be more professional we are in a bit of a no mans land with a half cocked coverage of the fortnight's proceedings. 

Joe Bean's comments regarding the musical content are spot on, you can transport yourself back to the 70's by closing your eyes. Just the thing for attracting a new younger generation of TT fans!

16 hours ago, joebean said:

Every year I cringed at Manx Radio TT and their presumption that everyone who owns a motorcycle is a greaser that loves rock music. I think the last time they surveyed the preferences of their TT customers was about 1973.

Re this again. You make some good separate points, but I can't agree with this. I was out and about this morning and listening on the move to Chris Williams. The music seems to me to be very varied and covers multiple genres from 70s to up to date. Jasper Carrott to Lady Gaga is pretty wide ranging. There were lots of listeners requests too.