Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
boswellian

Weekend of Violence

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Might have been but pubs had to give notice to the Police(?) of any extraordinary hours and in any case largely ended up tailoring their hours to the availability of most of their customers; which was opening to midnight at weekends and 11pm during the week. 24 hour opening was pretty much a myth.

Wasn't/isn't it the case that some opening hours were restricted due to finding the staff that would work beyond 'normal pub hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gettafa said:

I was obliquely referring to likes of 'the Woodville incident'. A squadron of armed police, blue lights up and down Victoria Road including ambulances. It was big, surely.

And hardly a peep.

Next day a couple of confused bobbies manning the cordons which served the purpose of about bugger all, but did kind of say something serious happened. Maybe it had to be done as a show to justify the huge police bill.

I'm not particularly bothered, but it is a but much to suggest that the police are keeping the public - their employers - as to what is going on.

But it gives them something to do, they love a little incident. They can get all their toys out at once, PC Schuey can bring all his guns, PC Plod brings all the dogs, another arrives in his Radiation suit another in a Chemical spill suit, every vehicle can attend because Fat Bob down at The Winchester has spilt Shirle’s Green Chartruese..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Wasn't/isn't it the case that some opening hours were restricted due to finding the staff that would work beyond 'normal pub hours?

That too, undoubtedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gizo said:

But it gives them something to do, they love a little incident. They can get all their toys out at once, PC Schuey can bring all his guns, PC Plod brings all the dogs, another arrives in his Radiation suit another in a Chemical spill suit, every vehicle can attend because Fat Bob down at The Winchester has spilt Shirle’s Green Chartruese..

 There was a great quote, to whom attributed I don’t know;

”For centuries, armies have gone into battle ill-equipped and poorly trained - but that doesn’t mean its right.”

The cops are the same. I oversaw a lot of the most recent modernisation of Armed Policing, and Taser, on the Island. In terms of both training and equipment, the force is now on a par with its UK counterparts. The threat is the threat, whether it arises in Braddan or Bolton. And come the day where mutual aid support is required for a Derrick Bird incident, when it arrives they will recognise the tactics and have equipment compatibility, providing a lot less to worry about in what will be a stressful enough situation. 

Fortunately, so much of policing does turn out to be a “Fat Bob” incident as described above. That doesn’t mean that you should bowl into it without having made a judgement call on the threat and risk as it is initially reported. Send the right people, with the right kit, at the right time, and the incident will be resolved more quickly and safely than it would otherwise have. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No problem with the police having all the necessary kit. I remember an armed murderer on the loose over here almost thirty years ago, with mostly unarmed coppers chasing him. I think they brought in a firearms unit from across if I recall, but Derek would know the details.

Edited by Shake me up Judy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something big going on they're not telling us. I think the reality is that we're under zombie attack. I'm sure zombie Dave will soon confirm this for us.

 

HendersonRW.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No problem with the police having all the necessary kit. I remember an armed murderer on the loose over here almost thirty years ago, with mostly unarmed coppers chasing him. I think they brought in a firearms unit from across if I recall, but Derek would know the details.

Are you referring to the Stephen Helwich murder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

. And come the day where mutual aid support is required for a Derrick Bird incident,

Well there will never be a 'Derrick Bird incident' over here.

We don't have any dodgy lawyers and such who do dodgy things with wills, and that.

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, I think it was that one.

Happy to bow to Derek's knowledge on this one but from what I can remember, there was a local firearms team involved. I believe something happened that involved removing them and replacing them with a UK based team. Or is that just one of those urban myths that grew and grew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"One in three with registered weapons have criminal record"

From Manx Radio

Oh dear...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PmJ said:

Happy to bow to Derek's knowledge on this one but from what I can remember, there was a local firearms team involved. I believe something happened that involved removing them and replacing them with a UK based team. Or is that just one of those urban myths that grew and grew

Well before my time,  it I think it’s highly unlikely that there were foreign boots on the ground. 

Mutual aid armed policing is very complex due to the constitutional position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

"One in three with registered weapons have criminal record"

From Manx Radio

Oh dear...

 

That just defies all logic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

"One in three with registered weapons have criminal record"

From Manx Radio

Oh dear...

 

There is no “oh dear” about it.

if you apply for a firearms license, you have to declare everything. And then a full PNC check underpins that. So my speeding conviction from 1986 will be in there somewhere. 

And this is the underpinning guidance 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Firearms licensing was on my portfolio for several years. I wouldn’t tolerate mediocrity- it’s the first line of defence in public safety.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There is no “oh dear” about it.

if you apply for a firearms license, you have to declare everything. And then a full PNC check underpins that. So my speeding conviction from 1986 will be in there somewhere. 

And this is the underpinning guidance 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Firearms licensing was on my portfolio for several years. I wouldn’t tolerate mediocrity- it’s the first line of defence in public safety.

 

So "Why" then is the question that begs?

Including holders aged 13+...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...