Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
boswellian

Weekend of Violence

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So "Why" then is the question that begs?

Including holders aged 13+...?

Can you clarify what you are asking? I’ll try to answer for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Can you clarify what you are asking? I’ll try to answer for you 

Well basically Derek, why are "X" number of people with criminal convictions being granted firearms licences? Or is it considered that those particular convictions do not represent a safety issue in respect of issue of a licence? Genuine questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may well be that the likes of Violent crime and domestic abuse would definately exclude you but nicking a packet of sweets from a shop when you're a kid may not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well basically Derek, why are "X" number of people with criminal convictions being granted firearms licences? Or is it considered that those particular convictions do not represent a safety issue in respect of issue of a licence? Genuine questions.

Because each case is considered carefully on its own merits. Such as; does a speeding conviction from 1986  constitute an escalation in the threat and risk? Clearly it doesn't. Similarly, a chap in his forties, applying for a shotgun licence to go clay pigeon shooting up at Blue Point, isn't going to necessarily pose a risk because he was a bit of a boy, getting into fights and the like when he was eighteen. 

There is a lot of work goes into scrutinising new applicants. Things like speaking to referees. The criteria has changed now - it doesn't have to be a professionally qualified person, MHK, or the like. It needs to be someone who really knows you. Doesn't matter who it is. Are they willing to be asked questions as to whether you would truly trust 'X' with a gun? How well do you really know them, and for how long?

The stuff that is still a bit of a dark art is getting people to disclose issues that may lead to a question as to their continued fitness - temporary or otherwise. This is especially the case with regards to mental health. In those cases where people do put their hands up, consent to correspondence with their GP usually sorts things out. But there will be a lot that don't disclose, which is the unknown risk. 

Hope that helps?

 

D

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 7:22 AM, Shake me up Judy said:

No problem with the police having all the necessary kit. I remember an armed murderer on the loose over here almost thirty years ago, with mostly unarmed coppers chasing him. I think they brought in a firearms unit from across if I recall, but Derek would know the details.

Who was that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A stabbing, and armed police sealing a road off in Peel this evening, so local rumour says. No longer a safe Island- more and more stabbings or knife crime being reported. How long before we get a shooting do we reckon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, manxst said:

A stabbing, and armed police sealing a road off in Peel this evening, so local rumour says. No longer a safe Island- more and more stabbings or knife crime being reported. How long before we get a shooting do we reckon?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48506&headline=Arrests after alleged stabbing&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

EJ's murder was it not?

Possibly Steven Helwich  I knew him as he was a regular daily in the Leisure and Funland arcades Douglas where I worked 1990-93...The then Governor was ex RAF and had RAF Police or Regiment guard the prison at least externally with dogs as there was said to have been a credible risk of high level escape attempt of the accused by well resourced planners...When the murder occurred lots of young folks dumped their knives in the club and down the Prom. Police said it was an incident just ready to happen....

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12335836.Lifer_gets_an_extra_year_after_prison_slashing/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

 RAF Police or Regiment guard the prison at least externally with dogs

That never happened - ever. Stop making things up

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of recollections about this sorry and tragic incident, from the reports of the time; I don't want to post them on here without doing some research to confirm them, but just a quick google of the names of the event brings up a Hansard from 1998 (four years later following a petition from the victim's mother) covering a debate for increasing and vetting of nightclub security staff.

There are considerable concerns voiced over lack of security and the culture and atmosphere in the Island's nightclubs of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Possibly Steven Helwich  I knew him as he was a regular daily in the Leisure and Funland arcades Douglas where I worked 1990-93...The then Governor was ex RAF and had RAF Police or Regiment guard the prison at least externally with dogs as there was said to have been a credible risk of high level escape attempt of the accused by well resourced planners...When the murder occurred lots of young folks dumped their knives in the club and down the Prom. Police said it was an incident just ready to happen....

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12335836.Lifer_gets_an_extra_year_after_prison_slashing/

 

Barry the bullshitter strikes again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With knife crime more prevalent (or certainly more reported) and violent assaults also seemingly on the increase, what are people’s views about ALL emergency calls that require Police attendance being dispatched from Douglas (apparently the latest brainwave from the higher echelons of the Constabulary). Police will attend 999 calls from Douglas to locations across the Island, and officers in small teams will be based in outlying areas like now, but only work on ‘community issues’, and only during office hours- they WON’T be able to respond to emergencies, such as last nights stabbing in Peel, as they won’t be present.

time to move to Douglas, if you want police to arrive before you die of a beating / stabbing etc etc, I reckon....

on second thoughts, should this also increase Douglas rates, and lower the outlying rates, due to increase/lack of service....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, manxst said:

With knife crime more prevalent (or certainly more reported) and violent assaults also seemingly on the increase, what are people’s views about ALL emergency calls that require Police attendance being dispatched from Douglas (apparently the latest brainwave from the higher echelons of the Constabulary). Police will attend 999 calls from Douglas to locations across the Island, and officers in small teams will be based in outlying areas like now, but only work on ‘community issues’, and only during office hours- they WON’T be able to respond to emergencies, such as last nights stabbing in Peel, as they won’t be present.

time to move to Douglas, if you want police to arrive before you die of a beating / stabbing etc etc, I reckon....

on second thoughts, should this also increase Douglas rates, and lower the outlying rates, due to increase/lack of service....?

But hase`nt the chief constable just goten a rise in his budget, to combat that, ETA ( we don`t have that sort of "clientel" here in Ramsey )  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LightBulb said:

But hase`nt the chief constable just goten a rise in his budget, to combat that, ETA ( we don`t have that sort of "clientel" here in Ramsey )  ?

No idea? Isn’t any rise to increase specialist financial staff, and to pay for new IT systems (which will obviously negate the need for officers patrolling their local areas....). Increase in money to pay for hoverdrones with handcuffs/tazers/prisoner cages, all controlled from the Great Walled off City of Douglas....that’ll be in the next budget request I reckon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...