Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
boswellian

Weekend of Violence

4 hours ago, manxst said:

With knife crime more prevalent (or certainly more reported) and violent assaults also seemingly on the increase, what are people’s views about ALL emergency calls that require Police attendance being dispatched from Douglas (apparently the latest brainwave from the higher echelons of the Constabulary). Police will attend 999 calls from Douglas to locations across the Island, and officers in small teams will be based in outlying areas like now, but only work on ‘community issues’, and only during office hours- they WON’T be able to respond to emergencies, such as last nights stabbing in Peel, as they won’t be present.

time to move to Douglas, if you want police to arrive before you die of a beating / stabbing etc etc, I reckon....

on second thoughts, should this also increase Douglas rates, and lower the outlying rates, due to increase/lack of service....?

Haven't got a problem with it. The issue in Peel yesterday was teenagers, probably had a few to drink and thought, after watching the news across, that it was cool to carry a knife and look hard to his mates. He'll be regretting it this morning.

We're hardly talking about gangs roaming the streets with weapons terrorising the general public and needing armed patrols across the whole island. Isolated incidents always get blown up like this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

It was a serious time involving wealthy drug business from Scotland. The Island pays the UK for defence. The forces have an obligation to support the civil power if requested. The :Lt Governor then was Air Marshall Laurence Jones RAF etc. He organised what I recall as RAF Police to patrol the prison due to their dog handling resources all in aid of the civil power.

I think Barrie is right ( I know I stand to be flamed).

Hazy, but as I recall when it was established who the murderer's overlords were and his reasons for being on the Island, there were concerns over the level of regular security available at the prison and concerns that an attempt might be made to "spring" him.

It was hardly an incident the wounded man was discharged from Nobles after having a plaster put on.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I fully stand to be corrected here but as I recall (25 years ago, where did that go?), didn't it emerge that the individual eventually convicted had been despatched to the Island in the name of settling or "getting even" some outstanding gangland drugs debt or business?

And the unfortunate victim was said to be unconnected but happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

This was an example of what happens when a clearly violent person is let out of (a UK) prison early.

The Isle of Man is little different of course and there are numerous examples of prisoners being let out only to carry out violent crimes again (and even again).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I fully stand to be corrected here but as I recall (25 years ago, where did that go?), didn't it emerge that the individual eventually convicted had been despatched to the Island in the name of settling or "getting even" some outstanding gangland drugs debt or business?

I’d say thats pretty much what’s going on now with our latest outbursts of violence. Maybe the drug dealers also read all the published DfE statistics about how wealthy the IOM is and have now realized like everyone else who sets up here that it’s just an illusion and now they’re in debt recovery mode. 

Edited by MrPB
Spells

12 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’d say thats pretty much what’s going on now with our latest outbursts of violence. Maybe the drug dealers also read all the published DfE statistics about how wealthy the IOM is and have now realized like everyone else who sets up here that it’s just an illusion and now they’re in debt recovery mode. 

Different I'd say. The EJ's murder was 25yrs ago. At that time the Island was riding high on the success of the finance sector. I don't doubt that there was a drugs scene but I think it would have been more of the wealthy recreational thing, the Island was a brighter, busier place in those days. 

Now there's a much worse drugs scene. Because it's of the misery and addiction variety extending much lower down the socio-economic chain. I know of some involved in it. Theft and burglary funding it. Prison sentences served and straight back into it.

What's being perceived as the increase in violence may be symptomatic of all that?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Now there's a much worse drugs scene. Because it's of the misery and addiction variety extending much lower down the socio-economic chain. I know of some involved in it. Theft and burglary funding it. Prison sentences served and straight back into it.

Are you surprised? A heavy night out at H & B prices £120, a bit of coke to have the same experience £50. We are driving our own problem by putting a high price on legal and taxed fun in the IOM. It’s another stealth tax on the poor. That said at the lower end you’re right and there is a huge blind eye turned to the many dependent drug users who should have the opportunity to be properly supported rather than banged up and the cycle repeated. We don’t seem to like the cost of support for real (non government) people in the IOM. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

2 hours ago, MrPB said:

Are you surprised? A heavy night out at H & B prices £120, a bit of coke to have the same experience £50. We are driving our own problem by putting a high price on legal and taxed fun in the IOM. It’s another stealth tax on the poor. That said at the lower end you’re right and there is a huge blind eye turned to the many dependent drug users who should have the opportunity to be properly supported rather than banged up and the cycle repeated. We don’t seem to like the cost of support for real (non government) people in the IOM. 

Taking hard drugs is down to H & B pricing?

Don't think so....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And the unfortunate victim was said to be unconnected but happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Correct with your first paragraph, but not sure about the second.

3 hours ago, MrPB said:

Complete idiot.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Complete idiot.

Talking to yourself again I see 

10 hours ago, MrPB said:

When was the last Time you purchased a bit of coke? Your talking £100 for 0.7 /0.8 of a gram now. It's no wonder people take the risk to bring it to the island. In Liverpool it cost less then half that............ Or so a friend tells me. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Haven't got a problem with it. The issue in Peel yesterday was teenagers, probably had a few to drink and thought, after watching the news across, that it was cool to carry a knife and look hard to his mates. He'll be regretting it this morning.

We're hardly talking about gangs roaming the streets with weapons terrorising the general public and needing armed patrols across the whole island. Isolated incidents always get blown up like this.

I’m not talking about armed police. I’m talking about ANY police. It doesn’t matter if the supposed incident is teenagers with a knife, a car crash, or a burglary- I’m asking are you happy with having officers dispatched from Douglas for every emergency call?

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Correct with your first paragraph, but not sure about the second.

I know where you're coming from but it depends who you talk to. Some say he was an innocent bystander; some say he had involvement. We'll probably never know for sure.

2 hours ago, manxst said:

I’m not talking about armed police. I’m talking about ANY police. It doesn’t matter if the supposed incident is teenagers with a knife, a car crash, or a burglary- I’m asking are you happy with having officers dispatched from Douglas for every emergency call?

I thought it was only high priority armed backup that was coming from Douglas. Pretty sure I see the local plod in their cars and parked outside the station around Peel most evenings including weekends.