Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
boswellian

Weekend of Violence

11 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I thought it was only high priority armed backup that was coming from Douglas. Pretty sure I see the local plod in their cars and parked outside the station around Peel most evenings including weekends.

Yes. If you read my original comment correctly though, at some point in the near future, the grand plan apparently is for ALL responding officers to come from Douglas....

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Different I'd say. The EJ's murder was 25yrs ago. At that time the Island was riding high on the success of the finance sector. I don't doubt that there was a drugs scene but I think it would have been more of the wealthy recreational thing, the Island was a brighter, busier place in those days. 

Now there's a much worse drugs scene. Because it's of the misery and addiction variety extending much lower down the socio-economic chain. I know of some involved in it. Theft and burglary funding it. Prison sentences served and straight back into it.

What's being perceived as the increase in violence may be symptomatic of all that?

The drugs scene was very widespread back then and deals very much at street level.

One well known and much convicted John Miller was active in the trade. Indeed he had his property confiscated by law.

Between 1990-93 I worked in The Leisure and Funland amusement arcades in Strand/Castle Street Douglas. Opposite The Leisure was a fast food caff...The Police requested the arcade's CCTV be set up so as to cover the outside of the arcade and the caff opposite. Deals were available from persons sitting in the front window tables of the caff.

Deals were done by hand up and down the street. We saw it all of the time. Persons would approach each other outside The Leisure and touch hands but kept walking not stopping. Some people would briefly wait under the front awning of The Leisure and pass small packets..One day I had the job of hosing down the front of The Leisure including the signage and awning over the front. This visibly annoyed several persons who would use that area for deals. Water was everywhere and the smartly dressed dealers were angry. They were quite well dressed and shod as I recall. More like they worked in the Finance Sector.

Other punters would hang around inside the arcade until a messenger came in and told them a deal was ready outside.

In 1993 at night a 17 year old held us up in Funland using an air rifle which is b y law a firearm. He got nothing because I was so stunned I just called the police and a fire arms response came down....But two WPC arrived first! I said "Armed robbery"..Earlier something similar had happened at the Brown Bobby petrol station. Our fellow got four years and the first CID on the scene was a scruffy herbert in jeans, T-shirt etc who turned out to be from the Manchester Drug Squad and who identified our would be robber instantly. Seems the lad owed his dealer £600.

About 3 years ago I worked nights at the Villa Marina and drugs were hidden about the site in some of the soft furniture, armchairs, sofas etc. The police then had a nice little Spaniel doggy checking the place out sniffing at times.

I had to empty the big bins in the foyer and was given hide gloves and tongs due to needles being discarded around the area. Also at the Villa I was on watch when a drug fuelled nutter tried to jump off the roof. Another drugged nut punched his hand through the glass along the covered walk there. Another one took a flying kick at it. A young girl went on a bad trip in the bushes so I had to go out and find her and get an ambulance. All for £6.50 an hour.

Two or three years before that I was a cleaner in "Colours" club Douglas  and at times found the odd "E" which I gave to the manager although lesser staff offered to buy it. My assistant cleaner found £50 jammed behind a mirror.

One TT in the early 90s I found a spectacle case containing packets of powder the police told me was amphetamine. Also in the case was a long list of addresses, phone numbers dates and times. I had handed the lot in but shortly after that the local paper ran a news item about several places and persons being arrested and charged in a coordinated drugs bust.

John Miller asked me to visit him in prison once. It was about something I had written in the local paper about Human Rights. Well I went for the experience. The prison was I think not amused and asked me to volunteer to have my photo taken by a Polaroid camera. Is this usual procedure?

Shortly after that a scruffy note and £20 was shoved through my door with thanks from one of the Miller family. As someone said, ill gotten gains. You have profited from the illegal drugs trade!

I dunno! Things just happen to me!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The drugs scene was very widespread back then and deals very much at street level.

One well known and much convicted John Miller was active in the trade. Indeed he had his property confiscated by law.

Between 1990-93 I worked in The Leisure and Funland amusement arcades in Strand/Castle Street Douglas. Opposite The Leisure was a fast food caff...The Police requested the arcade's CCTV be set up so as to cover the outside of the arcade and the caff opposite. Deals were available from persons sitting in the front window tables of the caff.

Deals were done by hand up and down the street. We saw it all of the time. Persons would approach each other outside The Leisure and touch hands but kept walking not stopping. Some people would briefly wait under the front awning of The Leisure and pass small packets..One day I had the job of hosing down the front of The Leisure including the signage and awning over the front. This visibly annoyed several persons who would use that area for deals. Water was everywhere and the smartly dressed dealers were angry. They were quite well dressed and shod as I recall. More like they worked in the Finance Sector.

Other punters would hang around inside the arcade until a messenger came in and told them a deal was ready outside.

In 1993 at night a 17 year old held us up in Funland using an air rifle which is b y law a firearm. He got nothing because I was so stunned I just called the police and a fire arms response came down....But two WPC arrived first! I said "Armed robbery"..Earlier something similar had happened at the Brown Bobby petrol station. Our fellow got four years and the first CID on the scene was a scruffy herbert in jeans, T-shirt etc who turned out to be from the Manchester Drug Squad and who identified our would be robber instantly. Seems the lad owed his dealer £600.

About 3 years ago I worked nights at the Villa Marina and drugs were hidden about the site in some of the soft furniture, armchairs, sofas etc. The police then had a nice little Spaniel doggy checking the place out sniffing at times.

I had to empty the big bins in the foyer and was given hide gloves and tongs due to needles being discarded around the area. Also at the Villa I was on watch when a drug fuelled nutter tried to jump off the roof. Another drugged nut punched his hand through the glass along the covered walk there. Another one took a flying kick at it. A young girl went on a bad trip in the bushes so I had to go out and find her and get an ambulance. All for £6.50 an hour.

Two or three years before that I was a cleaner in "Colours" club Douglas  and at times found the odd "E" which I gave to the manager although lesser staff offered to buy it. My assistant cleaner found £50 jammed behind a mirror.

One TT in the early 90s I found a spectacle case containing packets of powder the police told me was amphetamine. Also in the case was a long list of addresses, phone numbers dates and times. I had handed the lot in but shortly after that the local paper ran a news item about several places and persons being arrested and charged in a coordinated drugs bust.

John Miller asked me to visit him in prison once. It was about something I had written in the local paper about Human Rights. Well I went for the experience. The prison was I think not amused and asked me to volunteer to have my photo taken by a Polaroid camera. Is this usual procedure?

Shortly after that a scruffy note and £20 was shoved through my door with thanks from one of the Miller family. As someone said, ill gotten gains. You have profited from the illegal drugs trade!

I dunno! Things just happen to me!

You think too highly of yourself.

ETA, This kept going through my head whilst reading your story

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=theme+tune+for+Jackanory&view=detail&mid=5E1F7F688364A932A85F5E1F7F688364A932A85F&FORM=VIRE

Edited by PmJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PmJ said:

You think too highly of yourself.

What on £6.50 an hour doing jobs even the immigrants wouldn't do? No I am providing information and comment as one who was there. 

3 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Is that the same John miller, as in Salmon Poaching ?

Yes. In 1986 down on Douglas quay in the "Clarry" I bought a large fresh salmon from him for £5..He was touting them around the bars and pubs openly. Those were more innocent days...

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Yes. In 1986 down on Douglas quay in the "Clarry" I bought a large fresh salmon from him for £5..He was touting them around the bars and pubs openly. Those were more innocent days...

Or in other words no one was bothered....

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Does he still sell the large fresh Salmon for £5, "just asking for a friend" !!

Just now, LightBulb said:

Does he still sell the large fresh Salmon for £5, "just asking for a friend" !!

I have not heard from him for many years I think like me he has retired..

1 minute ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I have not heard from him for many years I think like me he has retired..

You mean poacher turned game keeper ?

1 minute ago, LightBulb said:

You mean poacher turned game keeper ?

Well he used to state his trade or employment as "landscape gardener"! 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Well he used to state his trade or employment as "landscape gardener"! 

What has a "landscape garderner" to do with poaching Salmon from the Nunery, PS ( are there any Salmon currently in the nunnery, and do you need a licence to fish / tickle the Salmon there in the Nunnery ? ""just asking for a friend" ( who likes fresh salmon )

Edited by LightBulb

12 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

What has a "landscape garderner" to do with poaching Salmon from the Nunery ?

Well, you can hardly put it on your CV!

7 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

What has a "landscape garderner" to do with poaching Salmon from the Nunery, PS ( are there any Salmon currently in the nunnery, and do you need a licence to fish / tickle the Salmon there in the Nunnery ? ""just asking for a friend" ( who likes fresh salmon )

I am currently some hundreds of miles from the Nunnery. I imagine the fishing rights are jealously controlled. I was under the impression that the salmon were poached using dynamite somewhere in the Laxey river system. The name means "salmon" and I once lived in the Harbour House right on the river. One could see the salmon running up stream and of course the system was at times restocked. They return to the headwaters to breed so are released into the headwaters. The reference to Landscape gardener reveals to some a sense of irony.