Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BallaDoc

The Rites of Spring

Two ducks were doing it in the surgery car park as I arrived for work this morning.  Gladdens your heart to see that Spring has finally arrived.  It reminds me of the days when me and Mrs BD used to (rest of post edited for reasons of public decency)

IMG_3888.jpg

• Like 1

Lucky lucky bastards. 

I live by a river and it’s lovely to see them out with their ducklings for the first time. There may be upwards of fifty around soon but it’s not long before each one is picked off by the rooks. The sounds of anguish from the mothers as they all disappear is tough to hear. Poor little ducks. 

• Like 1

Some bastard has probably driven over them by now. Some seem to regard wiping out wildlife with their car as some sort of perverted sport.

• Sad 1

I must be missing something.  One duck got a puncture and the other is just pumping it up?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

Lucky lucky bastards. 

I live by a river and it’s lovely to see them out with their ducklings for the first time. There may be upwards of fifty around soon but it’s not long before each one is picked off by the rooks. The sounds of anguish from the mothers as they all disappear is tough to hear. Poor little ducks. 

One wonders why that chap off the television was instrumental in banning the shooting of all members the crow family  and pigeons (?) 

My mate Eric would say "He needs interfering with , with a well frosted brussell":lol:

2 hours ago, Rog said:

I must be missing something.  One duck got a puncture and the other is just pumping it up?

Stop being silly, the bottom duck is being shaded from the sun by the top duck.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paswt said:

One wonders why that chap off the television was instrumental in banning the shooting of all members the crow family  and pigeons (?) 

The argument would be that ducks produce a high number of young to allow for the fact that some will fall prey to other animals.  I think pretty much anything that can will take and eat a duckling including owls, birds of prey, seagulls and pretty much any four legged predator.

It is a crap life being near the bottom of the food chain. 

• Thanks 1

A decision was made to clear part of Epping Forest from all members of the crow family , the result was a significant increase in the population of song birds including the return of nightingales. 

I have to admit I'm not overfond of members of the crow family and seagulls particularly when they are present in such numbers that the other garden songbirds are all but wiped out .

Just saying 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, paswt said:

A decision was made to clear part of Epping Forest from all members of the crow family , the result was a significant increase in the population of song birds including the return of nightingales. 

I have to admit I'm not overfond of members of the crow family and seagulls particularly when they are present in such numbers that the other garden songbirds are all but wiped out .

Just saying 

That alone would get my vote to reduce the numbers of crows

ETA we put a bird feeder in our garden and the black feckers keep trying to get the seed thus frightening away the smaller birds

Edited by PmJ
  • Like 1