Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Whatnonsence

Government wage bill. Up 46 million pounds since 2014.

Where has the figure come from? Is this including yearly pay rises and increments? I would have thought that this covers quite a lot of it because, don't forget, as well as the cost of living rise they are all climbing up the greasy poll year on year to get to the tops of their grades before the next promotion beckons. Staff expenditure is a moving target. Just as you try to cut in one place, it has increased everywhere else. A bit like carbon emissions rises and just as impossible to contain.

It'll be £500million a year very soon...when their pension pot runs dry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It'll be £500million a year very soon...when their pension pot runs dry.

And its emptiness gets merged with the Ni fund!

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Mr Thomas has denied this will happen on these boards...apparently it's legally ringfenced.

Although I'm sure laws could be changed in times of desperation (or political careers on the line). 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Mr Thomas has denied this will happen on these boards...apparently it's legally ringfenced.

Although I'm sure laws could be changed in times of desperation (or political careers on the line). 

And how many times have such promises been broken in the past?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, finlo said:

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think this would be a very big step for them to take and one fraught with danger. There is an undercurrent of discontent about the overblown size and cost of the government as things stand. If they try to remove the legal protection of the NI Reserve for their own enrichment I could see it becoming very toxic indeed. People would be on the streets and so they should be, since we are being told at the same time that the NI fund is unsustainable long term without rolling increases in the retirement age.

9 hours ago, finlo said:

And how many times have such promises been broken in the past?

Didn't the hospital have something to do with the NI fund ! the famous phrase "it has cost the taxpayers nothing "  or similar !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asitis said:

Didn't the hospital have something to do with the NI fund ! the famous phrase "it has cost the taxpayers nothing "  or similar !

Clearly from the same Book of Economic Phrases that produced the timeless quote, "Theoretically it's not actually taxpayer's money"...

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Clearly from the same Book of Economic Phrases that produced the timeless quote, "Theoretically it's not actually taxpayer's money"...

Fatuous E.Teare Esq who understood very little ?????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Fatuous E.Teare Esq who understood very little ?????

Was he fatuous? Maybe not from his point of view? Waffled his way through his terms, got the pension and bailed before the shit really hit the fan. Along with Bell.

It's the voters who are fatuous in many respects?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And there's a little bonus clip about how the Power Station doesn't have power cuts as it used. So well worth the wonga.

2008 Tony and the New Hospital - NI Fund.mp3

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Was he fatuous? Maybe not from his point of view? Waffled his way through his terms, got the pension and bailed before the shit really hit the fan. Along with Bell.

It's the voters who are fatuous in many respects?

No, definitely fatuous in my very personal opinion

• Haha 1

It's a wonder he didn't win the Nobel prize for Economics with stuff like that. Even Keynes couldn't have dreamt up a magic money tree. A real paradigm shift there that the Venezuelans could use right now.

• Haha 1

They borrowed money from the pension fund to build the hospital, or towards building it I wonder if the money has been paid back ? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

They borrowed money from the pension fund to build the hospital, or towards building it I wonder if the money has been paid back ? 

£44 million if I remember correctly. It hasn't been paid back, and when Eddie Teare was asked about it in Tynwald he said it wouldn't be, or was highly unlikely to be. In view of the oncoming budget crunch when the PSPR is exhausted, I think we can safely assume that he was correct.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1