Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

RAF confirms Saudi pilots train at Ronaldsway Airport

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Hysterical nonsense. They train them to fly.

For what purpose?

1 hour ago, SJR said:

Bernie Moffatt is a complete non-entity and as such should be ignored.He and the other three members of the unelected Celtic League should be placed on the runway for Saudi Target practice.No live ammunition though as you cannot do that.Not in Bernies world.You can though get a job for your daughter and when she leaves pass it on to your best mate who is otherwise unemployable...

I can imagine he and most of his family are otherwise unemployable were it not for dead mans shoes. 

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Well what do you think ? :rolleyes:

They could mustard gas Jurby, I’m not sure many would notice. 

Selling them the aircraft as a package deal along with training may have some bearing on the issue?

The MOD has been doing this for many decades now and I recall HMG selling the Saudis Lightning fighters ages ago and then I think Tornadoes and then the Hawk trainer and training time on all of them.

The MOD has long had a big presence in Saudi as part of these package deals. Down on my manor many Marconi staff were in the past seconded to Saudi. Likewise many RAF personnel have for years left the RAF and been taken up by the Saudi government as engineers, instructors, etc.

Harlow (new town) in Essex has a Raytheon industries plant where they make the systems for the bombs dropped by Saudi under SAS direction.

As regards Ronaldsway well the UK is the sovereign power and anything else is under their delegation. You are not independent.

The UK can fly in and over anytime and that goes for land and sea forces also

I can recall some years ago a military exercise to do with Libya where Hercules transports landed at Jurby. There were French paratroops skulking around Kirk Michael. Nothing got reported officially.

The RAF Tornado force used to use Ronaldsway as a sort of target for notional bombs and photography. I lived in Laxey and the Tornadoes would fly low down the valley and out over Laxey harbour. The birds would sense it and take off long before the jets arrived. At Ronaldsway and at Laxey the planes were so low you could almost reach out and touch the pilots.

The UK owns you...

It’s the Crown actually. 

She also just happens to own the U.K.

• Thanks 1

Don't forget the NATO bombing range targets off Jurby too. Used to sit on the cliffs there and watch sometimes. Sometimes they used to fly up the coast below the level of the sand cliffs.

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Don't forget the NATO bombing range targets off Jurby too. Used to sit on the cliffs there and watch sometimes. Sometimes they used to fly up the coast below the level of the sand cliffs.

Thats stopped tough hasn't it

13 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Thats stopped tough hasn't it

Though, only about 30 years ago!

Probably this is all written in to the agreement we have with the U.K. regarding defence etc and it is the first time it has been implemented, we are talking about a few vapour trails in the sky and an agreement made yonks ago....calm down.

4 hours ago, MrPB said:

Its a shame we don’t have Eddie Lowery in there now to have another good rant about ragheads

He actually referred to having a towel* on his head.

The (Isle of Man version of)  Hansard managed to have the reference dropped, but it was picked up by Manxforums on the day with a prediction that good ol' Manx Hansard would drop Eddie's speech. And of course it did.

Which was denied by all and sundry. "Prove it" they said, with a nod and a wink to Manx Radio (who would have their own recording) to stfu. 

But Eddie's speech was referenced by a later speaker. And so the edited/censored Hansard had to revert to . . . the truth. 

*Rog corrected the matter. It is not a towel, but a little sheet. And they are not towel heads, they are little sheet heads.

35 minutes ago, finlo said:

Though, only about 30 years ago!

At lest 40 I would think.

4 hours ago, Chris C said:

So the UK threaten to out the beneficial fat cat owners of companies based here purely to avoid paying tax and within hours the Treasury Minister and Chief Minister publicly declare a constitutional emergency.

However the UK use our airport to train foreign pilots to kill thousands of innocent civilians and the Chief Minister refuses to publicly comment and privately says there's nothing we can do because of our constitutional relationship with the UK.

I have no idea what exactly our constitutional relationship with the UK is exactly, but I think we could do with having a look at its priorities fairly handy!

Well the constitutional relationship is officially kept deliberately vague. However, you can work it out by watching it in action over many years. It is as follows: The UK tells us how it's going to be and we say righto.

Now, this obviously explains the stance over the Saudi pilot training. You have to be a little more creative to grasp how it also explains the constitutional crisis over beneficial ownership, but it does so nonetheless.

• Haha 1