RAF confirms Saudi pilots train at Ronaldsway Airport

gettafa

3 hours ago, SJR said:

Now that would have been low..Calm down fella...

Many jets fly ultra low. They have ground or surface hugging radar. The RAF Tornado was one such and as we saw in the Gulf many bombing runs were executed at 40 to 50 feet altitude. As I said the Tornadoes would fly down Laxey and exit over the harbour. This why the Jurby range was used to teach low flying and bombing. The ex Navy Buccaneer jets used by the RAF were also meant for surface hugging save they were not as digital and the pilot had to get down low using the MK1 eye ball and surf the pressure wave at 50 feet altitude. So yes they would fly as low as the man said.

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Probably this is all written in to the agreement we have with the U.K. regarding defence etc and it is the first time it has been implemented, we are talking about a few vapour trails in the sky and an agreement made yonks ago....calm down.

The hoot is that the Isle of Man actually pays the UK for defence and military matters and because of this the RAF, Army and Navy can use the Island. So you pay them to use you hence Saudi pilots in Hawk trainers can beat up Ronaldsway. This is known as The Constitutional Relation ship...

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

(Not doubting, but would point out that Wiki is little more accurate than a man down the pub with an internet connection and a wiki account, or indeed Manx Forums.)

Actually Wiki is pretty accurate on most things, simply because the world is full of smart-arses only too happy to correct people when they get it wrong.  There are occasional instances of vandalism, but you can usually spot those because they don't 'look' right (they're also often written in a different style from the rest of the article) and there are classes of article that you need to be cautious about: very new ones for example or those about certain areas of popular culture which can get opinionated.  For some controversial subjects it's worth checking if they are 'locked' by one of the various protection statuses that Wiki has eg that only trusted editors can alter them under consensus.

In this case the article has been around a while (since 2010), there are plenty of references given to where the information came from, and a variety of sources are given.  The main contributor to it appears to be a trusted one  and it passes the plausibility test - closing in 1993 after the end of the Cold War is what you would expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Watching some this morning, about five, the vapour trails were heading upwards so certainly not commercial aircraft.    Doing no harm.

Officer of the Watch: "Gun crew! Check Check Check Those aircraft are non-hostile"

Starboard Lookout: "Stick of four bombs coming down Sir!"

I think from "Three Corvettes" by Nicholas Monsarrat...

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually Wiki is pretty accurate on most things, simply because the world is full of smart-arses only too happy to correct people when they get it wrong.  There are occasional instances of vandalism,

I agree on its accuracy in the main and also about the occasional bout of devilment. The Foxdale nuclear submarine base page was instructive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I was and I wasn't. 

I knew a man who said that all of the time. You'd ask him a question: "Well, it is and it isn't." "I am and I'm not." "I will and I won't." "She has and she hasn't." "I did and I didn't."

Most infuriating man in the freaking world.

3 hours ago, woolley said:

I knew a man who said that all of the time. You'd ask him a question: "Well, it is and it isn't." "I am and I'm not." "I will and I won't." "She has and she hasn't." "I did and I didn't."

Most infuriating man in the freaking world.

Stan ,  clever man I knew once said to me "Always remember Paul nothing is as  good as it first seems but there again nothing is ever as bad as it first seems" and IMHO he was spot on:D:flowers:

That and the expressions "What's the worst that can happen" and "how hard can it be" have stood me in good stead  along with (and  in the social situation ) "It'd be rude not to":lol:

Just saying

Edited by paswt