Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

RAF confirms Saudi pilots train at Ronaldsway Airport

13 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I was and I wasn't. That said, I have no idea what that means.

Inconceivable! Neither do I.

It's obvious, isn't it?

We bombed Houthi's in Sanaa, 30 civilians killed, no we didn't.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, woolley said:

I knew a man who said that all of the time. You'd ask him a question: "Well, it is and it isn't." "I am and I'm not." "I will and I won't." "She has and she hasn't." "I did and I didn't."

Most infuriating man in the freaking world.

Stan ,  clever man I knew once said to me "Always remember Paul nothing is as  good as it first seems but there again nothing is ever as bad as it first seems" and IMHO he was spot on:D:flowers:

That and the expressions "What's the worst that can happen" and "how hard can it be" have stood me in good stead  along with (and  in the social situation ) "It'd be rude not to":lol:

Just saying

Edited by paswt

50 minutes ago, paswt said:

Stan ,  clever man I knew once said to me "Always remember Paul nothing is as  good as it first seems but there again nothing is ever as bad as it first seems" and OMHO he was spot on:D:flowers:

That and the expressions "What's the worst that can happen" and "how hard can it be" have stood me in good stead  along with (and  in the social situation ) "It'd be rude not to":lol:

Just saying

Excellent post.

19 hours ago, woolley said:

Well the constitutional relationship is officially kept deliberately vague. However, you can work it out by watching it in action over many years. It is as follows: The UK tells us how it's going to be and we say righto.

Now, this obviously explains the stance over the Saudi pilot training. You have to be a little more creative to grasp how it also explains the constitutional crisis over beneficial ownership, but it does so nonetheless.

Yeah you're right, I totally get how it's a one way street and they (Manx Gov) will do as they're told. It was more a point of how much fuss they make about about doing as they're told, ie none when it comes to training pilots to kill civilians, lots when it comes to protecting the shady tax details of some foreign millionaire.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Yeah you're right, I totally get how it's a one way street and they (Manx Gov) will do as they're told. It was more a point of how much fuss they make about about doing as they're told, ie none when it comes to training pilots to kill civilians, lots when it comes to protecting the shady tax details of some foreign millionaire.

To take it a little further. The idea that the Crown Dependencies and BOTs are running rings around the poor old hapless UK on tax issues and transparency is completely fanciful, although it does appear to fool a lot of people, even those who should know better. Richard Murphy et all are always giving out about tax havens playing fast and loose and enabling the rich and shady to avoid taxation in their own countries. He repeatedly calls for "these places" to be brought into line. The solution is closer to home. There is not a thing that we do that is not done without the tacit approval of London. If it were otherwise it would be stopped at the stroke of a pen. After all, every single piece of our legislation needs Royal Assent.

That's not quite true, ten twenty years ago the UK may not have liked what we were doing but they were happy to accept the trillions of quids being channeled into London. Nothing haas changed except the rest of the world is looking on in jealousy and wondering why they are not getting a part of this???

Many thanks to spellcheck for their help in compiling this response!!!

They didn't like us abusing our VAT quota though.....? And might still not...

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Watching some this morning, about five, the vapour trails were heading upwards so certainly not commercial aircraft.    Doing no harm.

That's the point-the harm is done elsewhere.

It seems we can develop a relationship with China and have Confucius room etc but when it comes to Saudi Arabia we are at the mercy of what the UK parliament wants to impose on us.

• Like 2

If labour ever gets to power god help us, they hate anyone who seems to be doing a bit better than themselves except of course their own members of parliament, that old witch that came over with the arrogant swine a bit ago is rolling in it.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:07 AM, the stinking enigma said:

I spent many hours as a kid looking down upon the f1-11's from atop my favourite spot on the sand cliffs so definitely lower yep.

Me too!  I can also remember the Courier making the same nomenclatural mistake as you when it was realised F-111s had been doing extra runs in the days before attacking Libya in 1986 with a headline going on about F1-11s - oh, I was very much the precocious teenager pointing out how they were wrong ... erm, not much change there then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've seen transports doing circuits and bumps without the bumps and assumed they were RAF. Which they clearly are.

Have to say it was impossible to tell the nationality of the pilots. Sorry and all that.

Presumably the Directoress signs off the use of Ronaldsway resources for the RAF to do this? Did it occur to anyone to check on the nationality of the trainees? Of course not, why would you.

I should imagine it's a nice little earner for the MOD though....