Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Freggyragh

5G paranoia?

Seen a bit of anti-5G info on fb with links to various anti-5G groups. Cursory look at the profiles of members reveals 90% are also anti-vaxxers who believe cannabis cures everything, the EU is run by the illuminati, the moon-landings were faked, 9/11 was an inside job, etc, etc. 

Are there any sane, non-drug-addled voices raising serious concerns about 5G? 

Not taken too much interest in 5G TBH as it doesn't really impinge on my lifestyle .

That said to describe all those who have reservations about its  safety as insane and drug-addled is not helpful IMO and perhaps says more about you .

just saying:flowers:

• Like 2

I said 90% based on a ‘cursory look’. I was hoping to find out if there were other voices, eg; scientific evidence or even non-conclusive information on the concerns of reputable NGOs. I’m not of the opinion that anyone with concerns about 5G is mental -just that most of those on fb who I have seen going on about it seem to know very little about it beyond pushing dodgy science from alt-right conspiracy bots. 

Yes, but there is more crap on FB about any subject you care to name simply because there are so many people on FB with an opinion. You can't expect them all to have a brain too!

I’m neither saying that everyone who shares anti 5G posts is mental, nor am I expecting them to have functioning brains. I’m simply asking if anyone on mf has an informed opinion on 5G. 

Surely, it's largely fear of the unknown. Ever since radio waves were first propagated through the atmosphere for wireless telegraphy and broadcasting, people have balked at the principle. "It will fry our brains." etc.

With every new development, new objections arise. It's the same as all of the other compromises we make for living with technology, such as chest ailments as a result of pollution from engines. It's a calculated risk perhaps, but it will continue until the risk becomes unacceptable to public opinion, as with the Boeing 737-Max8 or The Jeremy Kyle Show.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Cursory look at the profiles of members reveals 90% are also anti-vaxxers << people have legitimate reasons to be concerned about vaccines.

who believe cannabis cures everything    << cannabis and CBD oil are extremely effective for medicinal purposes.

the EU is run by the illuminati << it is. No doubt about it.

the moon-landings were faked, << Photographs were staged for PR purposes but they did genuinely land on the Moon. However, given how much we're lied to, people are right to question things.

9/11 was an inside job, etc, etc.  << It was deliberately allowed to happen.

My comments added in bold.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, woolley said:

The sprouts are OK. That's about it.

If you ever go to Belgium, especially Brussels, you are in for a treat. Forget the sprouts. The various beers (Trappist, Lambic, wheat beers, lagers, red ales & stouts) waffles, mussels, steak-frites, white sausage, black pudding, grey shrimps, waterzooi, stoemp, rabbit & prunes, meatballs & cherries, eels, and of course their chocolate and pastries will be a real education for you. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Seen a bit of anti-5G info on fb with links to various anti-5G groups. Cursory look at the profiles of members reveals 90% are also anti-vaxxers who believe cannabis cures everything, the EU is run by the illuminati, the moon-landings were faked, 9/11 was an inside job, etc, etc. 

Are there any sane, non-drug-addled voices raising serious concerns about 5G? 

Overall, this argument seems to be being presented the wrong way round. For members of the public to be subject to an additional form of EMF radiation in their own homes, 24/7, 365 days a year maybe it should be shown to be safe first? Rather than people having to prove it's dangerous? Unfortunately the financial pressures are likely to outweigh any public health considerations.

The 5G frequencies proposed are higher than 3G or 4G, the energy of a wave is directly proportional to frequency (at constant amplitude), so 5G is likely to be a higher risk than 4G or 3G. 

If you search the peer-reviewed research it's clear that even at low levels EMF's have an effect on human cells: EMF's act on voltage-gated calcium channels, causing various effects within cells and on the immune system;  also the suppression of melatonin leads to an increased risk of cancer.  (Light also lowers melatonin, and if you subject people to light 24/7 their health is severely affected pretty quickly)

The data put forward claiming 5G is safe doesn't even look at effects such as these, I've only seen the effects of direct ionisation / DNA damage (which is not an issue at 5G power levels) and basic thermal effects (which is also not an issue) considered. 

Here's a couple of links to research from the University of Washington and the University of Athens:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25879308

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30831365

You can easily search Pubmed for more.

The effect on voltage-gated calcium channels is very real; it's used with PulsedEMF devices which can definitely speed healing of bone - I've first-hand experience of this. It works.

Edited by Mole62
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Abstracts only are on Pubmed - but the links to full text are shown. Sometimes free, sometimes not.

Free full text links are here:

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/reveh.2015.30.issue-2/reveh-2015-0001/reveh-2015-0001.xml

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969719308526?via%3Dihub

plus anothor one on WiFi / EMF generally

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118300355?via%3Dihub

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:35 AM, Freggyragh said:

If you ever go to Belgium, especially Brussels, you are in for a treat. Forget the sprouts. The various beers (Trappist, Lambic, wheat beers, lagers, red ales & stouts) waffles, mussels, steak-frites, white sausage, black pudding, grey shrimps, waterzooi, stoemp, rabbit & prunes, meatballs & cherries, eels, and of course their chocolate and pastries will be a real education for you. 

It's Freggy with one of his "I'm the only one who ever goes anywhere or does anything" posts. I spend a lot of time on the continent and I'm on record here as saying that I love European cities in all of their architectural splendour and diversity of fare, entertainment and culture. I am sad to see their distinct traditions being slowly homogenised in many ways.

For avoidance of doubt, the comment about sprouts was intended to be humorous.

Edited by woolley