Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Or sell socks at £20 a pair + a free shirt...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m amazed people cave in so easily. There’s nothing wrong with what they’ve done technically. Let them engage lawyers (at their cost) if they think their TT trademark has been breached to stop them. In the meantime I’d be handing them out free on race days at the grandstand and hoping they get picked up on all the ITV footage. 

But with legal battles it's often more how deep your pockets are rather than whether you are right or not. If you're a small shop you can't really take the risk.  The trademark is for the letters TT in relation to motorcycle racing and I suspect a lawyer would be able to make some kind of case that the outline of the Course next to them would bring the t-shirt into that category.  It doesn't have to be a good or convincing case - just enough to make losing a remote possibility.

What I found most interesting was Looney's statement that TT was the worst week of their trading year.  We keep on being told how much it 'makes' for the economy. but it's rarely considered that even among businesses there are a lot of losers as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Ramsey Park kept 40 drivers with ten million quids worth of cars very happy last weekend.

Porsche Club GB stayed at Mount Murray the one before. It’s got a way to go but is getting there 

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I did point this out to Max!

I'm sure they are decent hotels but you have to admit that we do lack a landmark 4 or 5 star hotel. Not that I look for that kind of thing myself but I'm sure there are people out there willing to pay for a bit of pampering who have the cash. It's just something which could boost our rather dowdy image as a destination.

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'm sure they are decent hotels but you have to admit that we do lack a landmark 4 or 5 star hotel. Not that I look for that kind of thing myself but I'm sure there are people out there willing to pay for a bit of pampering who have the cash. It's just something which could boost our rather dowdy image as a destination.

if you stick a diamond in a desert,  it's still a desert.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Hang on a minute Rob MHK is far to busy sending cease and desist orders to these f**king W***ers who are taking the piss. Look at them, destroying the Isle of Man's reputation and brand. F**k you Looneys.

2yjr33b.jpg

Really they should just print 'Gammon and Proud' making the TT course looking like a slice of Gammon.

or just

BREXITT

I don’t have an issue with IOMG protecting the TT marketing rights from off Island businesses but surely it’s in everyone’s interests for local businesses to make hay whilst the sun shines? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But with legal battles it's often more how deep your pockets are rather than whether you are right or not. If you're a small shop you can't really take the risk. 

And on the Isle of Man of course it can/will largely depend on how 'friendly' you are to/with the judge/deemster.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, finlo said:

Rob Callister in jackboots? Someone's fantasy I suppose!

Yeah...his.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Gizo said:

In fact the phrase is so 2000. Taken from a 1940 inspirational poster. 

So yes it is dated and definitely wank. 

They should just go with

'Don't lose your head nor go home dead'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

I don’t have an issue with IOMG protecting the TT marketing rights from off Island businesses but surely it’s in everyone’s interests for local businesses to make hay whilst the sun shines? 

You would think so, wouldn't you? That's why so much taxpayer's best is shelled out to stage the event and attract people here to spend.

But clearly not if it's to the detriment of Central Govt income, even if it's relative pence, and by implication, CS interests.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

it has to be the right people that have paid for the privilege though.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it has to be the right people that have paid for the privilege though.

Isn’t the whole idea to not have the place flooded with cheap moochers type crap ?

2 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

They should just go with

'Don't lose your head nor go home dead'

I think you have something there!

• Like 1

Just how THICK do you have to be to ignore or be unaware of all this signage....?

87591559_87604467_Wrong Wa.JPG.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Isn’t the whole idea to not have the place flooded with cheap moochers type crap ?

Would this be the same moochers that was run by a serving MLC? How very dare you cast aspersions on the quality of his merchandise :lol:

I think it's more about collecting as many £250s as possible. After all, as long as you've stumped up you can flog as much moochers-type tat as you want.

• Haha 1